Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Thanks for the close-up pics, TJ2018.

The construction looks rather under-spec'ed -- re the unprotected cylinder and what *looks* to be cheap, extremely-low endplate engagement hinge pins that appear to be pop-able with any flathead screwdriver the lowlife had handy. Hard to tell from the pic -- are the pins SS, chromed steel or just aluminum? Can you give an estimate of the strength of the mechanism?

As you (or someone else in this thread) said, an imperfect solution is better than none. They might provide a little deterrence, for a small amount of install effort and cash outlay. Sometimes, a little deterrence is enough. :)
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to tell from the pic -- are the pins SS, chromed steel or just aluminum? Can you give an estimate of the strength of the mechanism?
I do not know about the pin material, but they seem fairly sturdy and would need a fair amount of force to remove. I realize that if someone really wants in your vehicle that locks are merely an inconvenience. It's the opportunistic thief I'm trying to discourage. At least now instead of getting the hood wide open in about 5 seconds, it's going to take a few minutes. And not to wish it upon anyone, there will be easier targets for those lowlifes.

I do wish there were a better option as I share your sentiment that they aren't the best looking nor most secure hood lock. It's only a matter of time before BOLT or others come up with a better option that allows you to retain the stock latches (I do miss those). But until that better looking more secure hood lock comes along I at least have some deterrent to the casual thief.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I do not know about the pin material, but they seem fairly sturdy and would need a fair amount of force to remove. I realize that if someone really wants in your vehicle that locks are merely an inconvenience. It's the opportunistic thief I'm trying to discourage. At least now instead of getting the hood wide open in about 5 seconds, it's going to take a few minutes. And not to wish it upon anyone, there will be easier targets for those lowlifes.

I do wish there were a better option as I share your sentiment that they aren't the best looking nor most secure hood lock. It's only a matter of time before BOLT or others come up with a better option that allows you to retain the stock latches (I do miss those). But until that better looking more secure hood lock comes along I at least have some deterrent to the casual thief.
I may use these now and the Bolt hood lock later (depending on the price point). I like the look of the original latches too.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Hopefully, Bolt releases their hood lock, soon.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I called Bolt. I was told "early-2019"
Well if their release date follows the pattern of other new product release dates... I should be replacing the latch locks with the Bolt lock next summer ;) Then again maybe Bolt has better project managers and it will actually release early '19. One can hope...

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I read that a future update to the Tazer JL programmer... Hood alarm.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Email from Bolt lock manufacturer...

We are currently expecting the JL Hood Lock to be available around April. I don't have a firm cost on it yet, as we are having to add several pieces, including the replacement grill mesh piece for your JL.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Until then, its my dual, "slightly better than nothing" luggage locks, which anyone with a TSA key can open, and might be inclined to do (TSA agents that is) to sell parts for food, considering they aren't getting paid right now.

I must say, and not to get political, I'd hate things under my hood to go missing, but if had to pick my burglar, it would be one of these hard working guys/gals.

I sit here and truly contemplate that if such a burglar were caught, depending on what they stole and how they used the money, I'd be inclined to not press charges right now.

hoodlock.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P0WM12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored