Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares

Please look into why this product hasn't made its way to market yet, aside from the Chinese knockoffs that have emerged and steal revenue from you and Bolt, Inc. and let us know. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=jl+wrangler+hood+lock+&_sacat=0&_sop=16

In fact, please tell us why this simple product has taken so long to make its way to market. I ordered mine in Feb of 2018 from @Quadratec, and with their 5/28 shipping date estimate looming, I fear that.....

that date's going to soon be updated, as it has about 8 times already by Quadratec--not that I blame them--to some future date that comes and goes as that date's going to soon be updated, etc. (repeat paragraph....)

I'd love to be proven wrong. So would a lot of us.

Let's take a look at this shall we. Bolt already has the technology in place to adjust its locks to JL keys in other products like their hitch lock for the JL. So it's not the lock.

The technology to adapt this key cylinder to a hood lock is also already perfected as per the JK version of this product. It was just a matter of taking new measurements to the metal shop and integrating the JL lock into the design.

In the time this has taken to come to market, no joke, the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas was pretty much built...the entire freakin hotel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_Las_Vegas

3/1992 - 10/1993

Now, if you ask Bolt, they tell you it was a vendor problem.

...not buying it. Not for this amount of time.

What's the real deal? You and Bolt can't come to agreement?

Is it the front camera space collision in the grill afterthought?

Sh_t or get off the pot already.

(This is not an attack of any vendor, Quadratec included, who would love to make money on this product's sale as well.)
LOL!!! That's funny you think JeepCares gives a rip about this and is actually going to investigate.

67118909.jpg
Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I suspect that Jeep Cares, like every manufacturer's Social Media Marketing department, does care about negative noise on public forums. One email here and there from a customer here and there goes easily unnoticed. However, if enough frustrated people make enough negative noise on Brand-focused forums such as these, the Social Media professionals (yes, they do that for money!) will likely include the subject in their regular reports on what customers are thinking and saying. THEN MAYBE a Product Manager or Quality Assurance Manager will take notice and ask the right questions of the right people, and THEN MAYBE something will change.

Data is what matters to Social Media types and manufacturers. The more negative posts, the more likely something will get noticed.

So, to you readers out there who have ordered a Hood Lock and are unhappy, let's hear from you! To you readers who would have bought but haven't due to the uncertainty of delivery, let's hear from you, too!

Alternatively, one can keep asking his or her local Dealer's Parts Department Counter person what is the status of the Hood Lock, or one can keep calling the same Customer Service of the online vendor he or she ordered it from last year, and both will keep providing their uninformed, valueless responses. It's not their fault, of course, they have the same lack of information we lowly customers have on this almost-vaporware Hood Lock.

The choice is easy: Let's hear some noise out there!

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
LOL!!! That's funny you think JeepCares gives a rip about this and is actually going to investigate.

67118909.jpg
That's a fair point, it really is Mike.

FCA, as its executives are nothing short of duty bound to do, cares about maximizing profit for the company's stake holders within the scope of law.

Customer service does not exist for its own virtue but because the satisfaction of the ownership experience is correlated with future sales.

Publicly exposing incompetence on bringing a simple and otherwise readily available feature on nearly every other make and model of vehicle (a hood lock) to market, on a vehicle which has more value to protect under its hood from the factory than most others, let alone after owner customization, makes FCA worry that customers will legitimately ask:

"if FCA can't get this simple part out and done right, what else will they screw up?"

..which can affect profit and brings us back to the second paragraph.

Here's what I expect. I expect "Lydia," of Jeep Cares, who it would surprise me not was really a guy named Bob playing a role, may make his way to the FCA marketing VP, and in less than forum appropriate buzz speak, say...

"When the f is this enormously simple product shipping! I'm looking like a dick on the forum with nothing to say, we're looking like asses not getting this out the door, and people are on to us that we're likely squeezing Strattec (Bolt's parent) too hard, like we do many of our vendors as the proximate cause of the delay. And to top it off, we're losing revenue to the Chinese knockoffs in the meantime!"

..and then. a strategically placed call or email to the FCA Product manager responsible for this is made from some senior exec that contains two words:

"Settle this!"

and viola, the lock starts shipping.....and that's how business is done...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
That's a fair point, it really is Mike.

FCA, as its executives are nothing short of duty bound to do, cares about maximizing profit for the company's stake holders within the scope of law.

Customer service does not exist for its own virtue but because the satisfaction of the ownership experience is correlated with future sales.

Publicly exposing incompetence on bringing a simple and otherwise readily available feature on nearly every other make and model of vehicle (a hood lock) to market, on a vehicle which has more value to protect under its hood from the factory than most others, let alone after owner customization, makes FCA worry that customers will legitimately ask:

"if FCA can't get this simple part out and done right, what else will they screw up?"

..which can affect profit and brings us back to the second paragraph.

Here's what I expect. I expect "Lydia," of Jeep Cares, who it would surprise me not was really a guy named Bob playing a role, may make his way to the FCA marketing VP, and in less than forum appropriate buzz speak, say...

"When the f is this enormously simple product shipping! I'm looking like a dick on the forum with nothing to say, we're looking like asses not getting this out the door, and people are on to us that we're likely squeezing Strattec (Bolt's parent) too hard, like we do many of our vendors as the proximate cause of the delay. And to top it off, we're losing revenue to the Chinese knockoffs in the meantime!"

..and then. a strategically placed call or email to the FCA Product manager responsible for this is made from some senior exec that contains two words:

"Settle this!"

and viola, the lock starts shipping.....and that's how business is done...
Right... meanwhile I've had a steering bar, tie rod end, two front tires and a radiator replaced and I'm not the only one. I waited 3 months for those suspension parts and during that time I burned off two tires to 40% tread in 7k miles. Not to mention the death wobble issue going on with others out there. Oh and lets not forget the fact that they can't tighten the ball joints properly so you get the clicking noise that so many of us have had. Out of disgust I fixed that one myself.

What I'm trying to say is if you've got a first model year with those major issues still going on, a hood lock is about as low on the priority chain as it gets.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Right... meanwhile I've had a steering bar, tie rod end, two front tires and a radiator replaced and I'm not the only one. I waited 3 months for those suspension parts and during that time I burned off two tires to 40% tread in 7k miles. Not to mention the death wobble issue going on with others out there. Oh and lets not forget the fact that they can't tighten the ball joints properly so you get the clicking noise that so many of us have had. Out of disgust I fixed that one myself.

What I'm trying to say is if you've got a first model year with those major issues still going on, a hood lock is about as low on the priority chain as it gets.
Mike: to answer your question politely, the talk is that Strattec, i.e. Bolt Lock Inc's parent company, is making the product in two versions: one marketed under their Bolt name, and one made for MOPAR that all sales and service of will fall under MOPAR's umbrella.

Strattec's unwillingness to comment is, I suspect, a product of some very carefully worded non-disclosure agreements that the likely bully here, FCA, made them sign, as they do other vendors.

There's been talk that each company's version of the lock will be slightly different. Additionally, as @Mad Hatter very smartly pointed out weeks ago, I wouldn't be surprised if FCA is trying to get that lock to be compatible with the forward facing Gladiator camera that's destined to occupy the same front grill real estate: I would not be surprised being an afterthought that said originators forgot about the hood lock when they came up with.

Although this is all conjecture, it also wouldn't surprise me if FCA is telling Strattec that they want a Gladiator version of the lock designed now, at the same originally offered price, and that Strattec is justifiably saying "sorry, but more work requires more money."

Frank, if your reading, (Frank Krejci, CEO Strattec) https://www.strattec.com/company/management-team and if your not, I'm pretty sure Jason Buckles of your Bolt Lock Inc is , if any of what I say "holds water," the time has come to retain one of these guys to protect your franchise https://bestlawfirms.usnews.com/antitrust-law .

And if I'm wrong about this, FCA, your hush about this is to blame.

===============

Mike: your point about mission critical defective parts justifiably taking higher priority, in a perfect world, is absolutely justified. I agree.

That said there's some irony here for me sir in your initial reply painting my involvement of @JeepCares as unrealistic, my explaining my motives (i.e. how business gets done) and then you using Emergency Room triage logic to justify why your issues should be dealt with first.

They should.

But FCA's in business to make money, which means to please the most people with the smallest expenditure, not to treat the worst patients first. In this ER metaphor, FCA sees the patients with scraped knees waving money first, not the indigent GSW (gun shot wound) victims.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Shocker: Quadratec postponed the 5/28 delivery date to, at this point, an unknown future date.

Again, this isn't Quadratec or any after market seller of Jeep good's fault. Rather it's the fault of MOPAR and Bolt, and I'm unable to say fairly in which one of these two companies most fault lies, but the safe bet is with MOPAR.

….and likely not as a result of MOPAR incompetence, but its exercising dominance over Bolt in order for them to be the official MOPAR supplier..

….MOPAR already has pin matching tech in their higher end locking JL gas cap, but Strattec's (i.e. Bolt's) pin matching is automatic and they're owners of the I.P. (intellectual property) to effect this.

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
>Please look into why this product hasn't made its way to market yet, aside from the Chinese knockoffs that have emerged and steal revenue from you and Bolt, Inc. and let us know. Thanks.

82215137 changes up to a 82215137AB now but currently is not available do to a supplier shortage. Hopefully it will be available to order sometime in July.
Please contact us in the future for an updated status.
Thanks

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Bolt told me on the phone 6 months ago they have been waiting for Mopar to tell them go ahead and make the Mopar one for them like they did on the JK. But if Mopar doesn't do it soon they will go ahead and make their own. They usually wait till after they make the Mopar one but they are not waiting much longer he told me. Let's hope that's true. I don't want the knock off on ebay I want the bolt lock.come on bolt get it going
Sponsored