Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
With sarcasm....

I have an idea.

Given all the valuable things under the hood of the JL[U] I'm going to design it with a standard hood lock like every other freakin vehicle out there today.

Or at least make it a purchasable option.

No, no, I can't do that. That would eliminate a "tip of the hat" to Wranglers of yesterday, and how you'd pop the latches to such a rig's overheated engine, twist this knob, turn this dial, and say to your better half behind the wheel, "try startin' her up now hun," to which your better half would crank the engine and succeed at turning her over, and the engine would purr like a kitten from your fix, as your drive into the sunset.

Nevermind that today your most important diagnostic tool is a computer with diagnostic cable hooked up to one of the rig's ports. I accept these changes. But seeing that less and less of us are popping the hood, less frequently, to do less of the rig's maintenance--because this isn't the old days--would have adding an interior hood opener have really gotten in the way of those who do their own maintenance, or just reduced FCA's profit? Sure, many of us pop the hood to do mods.....mods we don't want stolen!

And yet, I can accept I'm riding the only thing out there, much that I love it, where you have to buy the hood lock. But put down my money in February, and Quadratec (no fault of their own) is STILL waiting on MOPAR to come through with their hood lock, with by no means guarantees that the 12/9 shipping date, moved up several times already, will be met.

Of course this gear promises to work with the Key that's part of the FOB. That takes time to develop...unless of course MOPAR steals the work they did on the door key locking gas cap for the JL they already have out!

C'mon MOPAR/FCA, you make us wait forever to resolve a needed component that's standard with just about all other vehicles.

@JeepCares
Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I like the exposed hood latches. Will probably still get the Mopar hood lock when available, though, because People.

"Less of us are popping the hood"? So? A large part of the Wrangler's charm is its more basic, honest, function-before-form persona. I hope they never change the Wrangler too much just because non-mechanically inclined people are buying it as a fashion prop and the thought of opening the hood frightens them. Lots of Prius, Accord, etc for those who think a "car" is just another appliance.

I know you were using that whole 'sarcasm' thing, RussJeep, but I just wanted to be sure it was clear that none of this is aimed at you -- just my ranting against the dumbing-down and emasculation of modern utility vehicles in general ;)

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I like the exposed hood latches. Will probably still get the Mopar hood lock when available, though, because People.

"Less of us are popping the hood"? So? A large part of the Wrangler's charm is its more basic, honest, function-before-form persona. I hope they never change the Wrangler too much just because non-mechanically inclined people are buying it as a fashion prop and the thought of opening the hood frightens them. Lots of Prius, Accord, etc for those who think a "car" is just another appliance.

I know you were using that whole 'sarcasm' thing, RussJeep, but I just wanted to be sure it was clear that none of this is aimed at you -- just my ranting against the dumbing-down and emasculation of modern utility vehicles in general ;)

Kent--clearly, I could have been clearer. I like the exposed hood latches too! I just want more methods to thwart entry into the engine space than these otherwise highly architecturally pleasing devices. In fact cudos to FCA for getting the rattle out of the JLs versions from the JK.

I also agree that a large part of the Wrangler's charm is its more basic, honest, function-before-form persona, except I'd be inclined to put the words "appearance of" between "its" and "more." My point being that this thing is now a computer on wheels...there's no denying that....and that's not necessarily a bad thing for all the controls the computers can do that my parent's vehicles couldn't: albeit they do add complexity (read: cost when they break).

No aim is taken at me @Kent5. You're entitled to your tastes and priorities as it regards people movers.

I just want to keep the stuff under the hood I purchased, some quite expensive, that allows them to keep being people movers.;)
Sponsored