Sponsored

Engine coolant level?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Went to dealer, they only had concentrate, so I bought and diluted exactly 50/50, yet it looked purple compared to my pink reservoir. Is that ok? I threw it in regardless only because I needed so little. Probably only added 10-12oz or so. (Still have a lot of the mixed solution in that jug leftover)
Thanks in advance

98F12A07-B9CB-4D4B-BE41-68852D87F011.jpeg

C850DF7F-FF2E-4CE0-BF40-FC30E74C2CBC.jpeg
@Respo

Did you mix with distilled water? Did you read through the posts in this thread?
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Went to dealer, they only had concentrate, so I bought and diluted exactly 50/50, yet it looked purple compared to my pink reservoir. Is that ok? I threw it in regardless only because I needed so little. Probably only added 10-12oz or so. (Still have a lot of the mixed solution in that jug leftover)
Thanks in advance

98F12A07-B9CB-4D4B-BE41-68852D87F011.jpeg

C850DF7F-FF2E-4CE0-BF40-FC30E74C2CBC.jpeg
It'll be fine, soon enough it'll be the same color as the rest.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I did, both
@Respo

The pre-diluted and the concentrated have a tad different color... no worry needed...

DO check your power steering fluid level on your 2018 JL. See earlier posts in this thread..

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Had to add to mine. Was pretty low. Added almost an entire cup. At 48k miles

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I remember back in the day adding something like coolant was not rocket science, all we did was pick up a jug of Prestone and mix it 50/50 and keep the res tank at least 1/2 full we never used turkey basters or any exact science of measuring coolant.

I to have fallen into this trap as well but anymore after washing my Jeep ( once a week ) I just visually inspect all res tanks and check oil and look for any leaks and as long as the tanks and levels are not dropping I move on, life is to short to worry if my coolant tank is a 1/4” higher or lower than it was yesterday.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I remember back in the day adding something like coolant was not rocket science, all we did was pick up a jug of Prestone and mix it 50/50 and keep the res tank at least 1/2 full we never used turkey basters or any exact science of measuring coolant.

I to have fallen into this trap as well but anymore after washing my Jeep ( once a week ) I just visually inspect all res tanks and check oil and look for any leaks and as long as the tanks and levels are not dropping I move on, life is to short to worry if my coolant tank is a 1/4” higher or lower than it was yesterday.
It's a car forum guy, the OCDs are everywhere.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It's a car forum guy, the OCDs are everywhere.
I think my coolant's viscosity is not right. Seems a bit too viscous. I don't know. I pumped a little bit off the tank into a completely air tight container to avoid possible contamination. Then I took a sample of water and something just doesnt feel right. I might take a sample to the lab to get the exact viscosity of the fluid. Could also be the PH of the water I am using to compare with. The other night I couldn't really sleep, my wife was driving the Jeep and all I could think was the engine exploding or something. Any ideas? Wish me luck guys.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I think my coolant's viscosity is not right. Seems a bit too viscous. I don't know. I pumped a little bit off the tank into a completely air tight container to avoid possible contamination. Then I took a sample of water and something just doesnt feel right. I might take a sample to the lab to get the exact viscosity of the fluid. Could also be the PH of the water I am using to compare with. The other night I couldn't really sleep, my wife was driving the Jeep and all I could think was the engine exploding or something. Any ideas? Wish me luck guys.
Sounds like somebody put headlight fluid in your coolant reservoir by mistake. You’ll need to do a complete flush of the coolant system - make sure you also reverse flush the heater core to ensure all headlight fluid is removed. When you refill with the proper mix of coolant and distilled water, check the mix with a squeeze bulb tester sold at parts stores to get the exact mix required by your climate area. I wish you the best in getting this resolved!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Price Drop Alert...

For those that need coolant the correct coolant, it can be had at Amazon.com for a very good price today... $17.50 .....

On Amazon, it usually runs about $22-23 per gallon. Stealership will want $25-$26 for it.

It's 50/50 Prediluted, so do NOT add water to it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017DP43ZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I got my full concentrate mopar coolant for $18 gallon at the dealer, maybe the buddy I have behind the counter got me the inside deal??

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I got my full concentrate mopar coolant for $18 gallon at the dealer, maybe the buddy I have behind the counter got me the inside deal??
Sounds like you got a great price for sure!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prices for the coolant have gone up and down these last few months.

Right now prices for it seem to be down but local Mopar dealer's (stealerships) are still asking more then most. Seems with dealer's price it depends lots on where you reside/the stealership you buy from.

And yes, the employee at the dealership can often do you a solid and give you an additional 10% off.

With that said $17.50 with Amazon Prime free shipping is an aok price and a few $ less then over the last few months. Better then paying $22-25.
Sponsored