Coolant Temperature

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
My coolant temp hit 240, oil 250 climbing to 4000 ft on a freeway in 85 deg weather, oddly enough rock crawling it seems ok.
Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
My coolant temp hit 240, oil 250 climbing to 4000 ft on a freeway in 85 deg weather, oddly enough rock crawling it seems ok.
That seems a bit warmish to me. I sometimes tow a small travel trailer here in NV and keep a close eye on temps going uphill. About the hottest I recall seeing last summer was around 225 before the fan really starts working to get it down. Going downhill on the other side the temp will drop like a stone to below 190 before I start putting a load on the engine again.

I kinda wish the fan mapping was set for a little lower temps.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Like you, my jeep as well is an oddity. I modified a few things for the better. But in my neck of the woods very little hills, very mild outside temps that range between 40-80 degrees tops, I would see 215-225 constantly. I have climbed grades in 25 degree temps and watch it sit at 230-240 degrees. I felt it was too warm for my liking honestly, but it does look like among other jeep owners the temp varies on the digital gauge, while the meter stays put. How accurate it is, is beyond me.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I agree mine also drops as soon as the slope goes down.

it used to peak at 230, I added a psc cooler and I wonder if it made it worse

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
What would be the "overheating" temperature? I have installed a louver to the hood, installed a snorkel for more direct "cooler" air, but haven't noticed a dramatic temperature change. I don't have a grille insert. Only think I've done to the front end was I replaced the stock bumper with a stubby front bumper with a winch in it that doesn't block the grille at all. I also installed the Bolt hood lock but it doesn't block anything either. Is it possible that the radiator possibly still has mud and is choking air to the engine bay? With my superchip Trail Dash 2 tuner its been reading that the temperature reads between 200-225 depending on driving the highway, or sitting in hot traffic. I'm out in Oahu, Hawaii. I'd wonder if there would be a recall on air cooling to the engine, even though I bet the dealership would say that I voided that warranty with the snorkel.

Sponsored

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
Mine runs 200-220 and I have a winch mounted on top of a stubby bumper... I want to try a factory JT grill with it's larger slots... I've seen 230 on a steep grade but then the fan kicked on and dropped it quick...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I never got the TSB for the noisy fan. I've never seen higher than 224. I'm wondering if that's why. Still, getting into the 220's is still in the normal range, although on the warm side of it. Mine will run, when fully at operating temp, anywhere from 185 to 224, and everywhere in between, It stays around 185-200 with the air on, even on the hottest days.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I never got the TSB for the noisy fan. I've never seen higher than 224. I'm wondering if that's why. Still, getting into the 220's is still in the normal range, although on the warm side of it. Mine will run, when fully at operating temp, anywhere from 185 to 224, and everywhere in between, It stays around 185-200 with the air on, even on the hottest days.
I haven’t had that TSB either.

The strange thing that I’ve noticed is that my engine runs cooler with the AC on than with the AC off. I guess the fan is more likely to come on, even at it’s less-than-jet-engine speed. It seems counter-intuitive and not like my previous vehicles.

If I ever find myself with the engine temp getting too hot I may turn on the AC and turn the blower on high. It will drop the temp by 20-30 degrees very quickly. I used to have to turn on the heat to reduce the engine temp!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t had that TSB either.

The strange thing that I’ve noticed is that my engine runs cooler with the AC on than with the AC off. I guess the fan is more likely to come on, even at it’s less-than-jet-engine speed. It seems counter-intuitive and not like my previous vehicles.

If I ever find myself with the engine temp getting too hot I may turn on the AC and turn the blower on high. It will drop the temp by 20-30 degrees very quickly. I used to have to turn on the heat to reduce the engine temp!
I'm pretty sure that with AC on, the fan comes on at a low level, at a minimum. I've found I can trigger the turbine sounding mode by going to 5 or 6 on the climate control fan. Works every time. If I set it on 4, it slows down just enough to get out of turbine mode. But even on 1 with AC, when it can't be heard at all, the temp comes right down, and quickly.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm amazed how hot the engine bay is after sitting for an hour. I don't know if I've had a vehicle that took that long to cool down. Some parts in there are still hot to touch after a 15-20 minute drive and then sitting for an hour.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm amazed how hot the engine bay is after sitting for an hour. I don't know if I've had a vehicle that took that long to cool down. Some parts in there are still hot to touch after a 15-20 minute drive and then sitting for an hour.
Jeeps are known for heat soak. My JK is even worse than the JL. But it is 13 years old and it hasn't caused any problem.

If concerned, you could look at S&B's functional hood vents. They replace the decorative fake hood vents on the Rubi hood. The S&B scoops stick up but look kind of cool. They'd certainly let some of that heat out when stopped, too. If you have their cold air intake, the right side scoop connects directly with the air box.

I'm on the fence, though. While I know they'd cool things down a bit, I tend to shy away from messing with air flow in or around the engine compartment because so much engineering goes into managing it for the radiator. I don't want to mess that up. I also don't love the idea of having to plug them whenever it rains. I'd probably leave them plugged in the winter, though, which is a nice option.

Anyway, they are interesting. Here's the link. S&B Hood Scoops The more I look at them, the more I like them. Easy install, too, with no hood cutting. You only have to cut the insulation.
Sponsored