DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here is another functional hood vent option from Valkyrie.....

Valkyrie Hood Vents
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I haven’t had that TSB either.

The strange thing that I’ve noticed is that my engine runs cooler with the AC on than with the AC off. I guess the fan is more likely to come on, even at it’s less-than-jet-engine speed. It seems counter-intuitive and not like my previous vehicles.

If I ever find myself with the engine temp getting too hot I may turn on the AC and turn the blower on high. It will drop the temp by 20-30 degrees very quickly. I used to have to turn on the heat to reduce the engine temp!
Same deal here , but it seems that some members do have cooler running temperatures, I wish I could find out why.... if the fan wasn't running during AC usage the car would have even hotter spikes and my opinion .. our vehicles are actually overheating ..this 20+ spike in temps is not good for aluminum heads at all. I know that the Turbo 4'S have an additional radiator. (This is a very common way that automakers argument the cooling systems ) Its also proof that that our Jeeps are lacking in that department. My thermostat opens at about 186 degrees(yes it is stock) ..actually a bit earlier , but this is a starting point (@ witch the car once warmed up ) tends to go back once the fan cycled. However, without the AC on , my car can read 220 or maybe 222 on the digital readout at times ... this almost a 40 degree difference.. understandably so since when it is in slow traffic or relatively stopped . However , whats not understandable why the fan doesn't kick on way before that. Chrysler is probably not going to care about this issue as it is probable that by the time heads gaskets need changing u'll be out of the warrantee anyways. To remedy this , I ordered a set of auxiliary rads that originally come with Turbo 4 and will try to integrate then into the 3.6 pent. engine .. there very little info on these and how they're tied in the cooling system but it should work with some addition of rubber hose and adapters.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Wondering what the engine temp is supposed to run in the 3.6, ours runs 212-219 flat driving on a cool day?
mine @ 186 on cool day temp spikes when running slow speed or idle

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Update.. mine runs under 200 degrees both coolant and temp here at 6000ft altitude this month for short trips. Stop worrying about anything lower than 250 degrees oil/coolant temps.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
195-220 is the norm

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Ambient temps play a big role, and I was reaching oil temps of 230 when climbing a hill on my regular commute with outside temps of 110 plus in Vegas summer.
Now with temps in low 60s, on the same route, I am around 195-198.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Same deal here , but it seems that some members do have cooler running temperatures, I wish I could find out why.... if the fan wasn't running during AC usage the car would have even hotter spikes and my opinion .. our vehicles are actually overheating ..this 20+ spike in temps is not good for aluminum heads at all. I know that the Turbo 4'S have an additional radiator. (This is a very common way that automakers argument the cooling systems ) Its also proof that that our Jeeps are lacking in that department. My thermostat opens at about 186 degrees(yes it is stock) ..actually a bit earlier , but this is a starting point (@ witch the car once warmed up ) tends to go back once the fan cycled. However, without the AC on , my car can read 220 or maybe 222 on the digital readout at times ... this almost a 40 degree difference.. understandably so since when it is in slow traffic or relatively stopped . However , whats not understandable why the fan doesn't kick on way before that. Chrysler is probably not going to care about this issue as it is probable that by the time heads gaskets need changing u'll be out of the warrantee anyways. To remedy this , I ordered a set of auxiliary rads that originally come with Turbo 4 and will try to integrate then into the 3.6 pent. engine .. there very little info on these and how they're tied in the cooling system but it should work with some addition of rubber hose and adapters.
then your thermostat is bad. Your engine is too cold.

Rick4570

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
My 2022 JL coolant temps are all over the place. When driving slow on the trails the colant will get as high as 238 degrees, oil around the same. Then as soon as I get on the highway it will drop to around 205 (both coolant and oil). If I am going down a steep grade on the highway it will drop to 185 degrees.

Good grief, that's a 53 degree swing!

Even just driving around town at slower speeds brings it up to 230's, and then the fan kicks on and cools it to 212 and then the fans kick off and it goes through the same cycle. I cant imagine how hot it would get in the summer rock crawling!

My first jeep, I guess this is normal, just seems like extreme temperature changes.

Sponsored

Spacenorman

First Name
SpaceNorman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
I've roughly 2,000 miles into my new 2022 Wrangler with the 3.6 / 8 speed automatic setup - and am still trying to wrap my head around what is "normal" for this vehicle. On pavement - where driving speeds in the 45-65 range are typical - my coolant temps typically stay in the 190 - 200 degree range, with oil temp running 10..ish degrees higher. However, when I leave the pavement and slow down to enjoy some dirt roads and two tracks. If I'm driving in that 20-30 mph range (RPMs in the 1,000-1,200 range) - my coolant temps will climb to 230+ with oil temps pushing 245. The electric cooling fan appears to kick in when the coolant temp hits 233 degrees and will bring the coolant temp down to 210 in less than a minute. Throughout all of this - the needle gauge gives the appearance that all is perfectly normal - with the needle barely hitting the "halfway point" between Cold and Hot. I've yet to find anything in the Owners Manual that mentions an operating range for coolant, transmission and/or oil temperatures expressed in actual numbers.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Not that it matters really but I had a bottle of water wetter that I kept contemplating adding to my resi. I finally just dumped in in there and the temps dropped 10 deg across the board so that stuff actually works. Is 10 deg appreciable enough of a difference to put an additive in your system? I don't know.. but it did perform as advertised.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
My 2022 JL coolant temps are all over the place. When driving slow on the trails the colant will get as high as 238 degrees, oil around the same. Then as soon as I get on the highway it will drop to around 205 (both coolant and oil). If I am going down a steep grade on the highway it will drop to 185 degrees.

Good grief, that's a 53 degree swing!

Even just driving around town at slower speeds brings it up to 230's, and then the fan kicks on and cools it to 212 and then the fans kick off and it goes through the same cycle. I cant imagine how hot it would get in the summer rock crawling!

My first jeep, I guess this is normal, just seems like extreme temperature changes.

I've roughly 2,000 miles into my new 2022 Wrangler with the 3.6 / 8 speed automatic setup - and am still trying to wrap my head around what is "normal" for this vehicle. On pavement - where driving speeds in the 45-65 range are typical - my coolant temps typically stay in the 190 - 200 degree range, with oil temp running 10..ish degrees higher. However, when I leave the pavement and slow down to enjoy some dirt roads and two tracks. If I'm driving in that 20-30 mph range (RPMs in the 1,000-1,200 range) - my coolant temps will climb to 230+ with oil temps pushing 245. The electric cooling fan appears to kick in when the coolant temp hits 233 degrees and will bring the coolant temp down to 210 in less than a minute. Throughout all of this - the needle gauge gives the appearance that all is perfectly normal - with the needle barely hitting the "halfway point" between Cold and Hot. I've yet to find anything in the Owners Manual that mentions an operating range for coolant, transmission and/or oil temperatures expressed in actual numbers.
I am seeing the same issues as both of you are/were experiencing in my brand new JLUR XR V6 Etorque. Have you checked it out? Or have you accepted this as normal? Do you both have Mopar Cold Air Intake?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/new-jlur-xr-running-abnormally-hot.102785/

Rick4570

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
I have just accepted this as normal. Now that the weather has cooled off in Southwest Virginia, mine will run 180 on the highway, and around 235 on the trails going slow. When the fan cycles on (233-234 degrees) it cools down quickly. Just seems like a lot of variance, but everyone I talk too says it is normal.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I have just accepted this as normal. Now that the weather has cooled off in Southwest Virginia, mine will run 180 on the highway, and around 235 on the trails going slow. When the fan cycles on (233-234 degrees) it cools down quickly. Just seems like a lot of variance, but everyone I talk too says it is normal.
đź‘Ť
Oil temp goes up as high or higher, I suppose?
Sponsored