Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
So this happened:

About 2 months back my rear camera quit working. Dealer replaced the rear camera and it worked well until last week when it stopped working (black screen) again. I figured the camera failed once more. I took the Jeep to the dealer for repair and what they found surprised me.

My wife is 5' 2". She had some difficulty getting into the slightly lifted Jeep, so I found a 6" step stool with folding legs that I store under the front passenger seat. The stool was about 1.5" high with the legs folded. It fit perfectly under the seat. Turns out, under the passenger seat there are about 5 individual electrical connectors. Heated seat, seat belt fasten sensor, passenger sensor for airbag light, rear camera power, rear camera video signal, etc. The stool had somehow disconnected one of the connectors to the rear camera.

I try not to be stupid but note to self: DO NOT PLACE OBJECTS UNDER THE FRONT SEATS.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
So this happened:

About 2 months back my rear camera quit working. Dealer replaced the rear camera and it worked well until last week when it stopped working (black screen) again. I figured the camera failed once more. I took the Jeep to the dealer for repair and what they found surprised me.

My wife is 5' 2". She had some difficulty getting into the slightly lifted Jeep, so I found a 6" step stool with folding legs that I store under the front passenger seat. The stool was about 1.5" high with the legs folded. It fit perfectly under the seat. Turns out, under the passenger seat there are about 5 individual electrical connectors. Heated seat, passenger sensor for airbag light, rear camera power, rear camera signal, etc. The stool had somehow disconnected one of the connectors to the rear camera.

I try not to be stupid but note to self: DO NOT PLACE OBJECTS UNDER THE FRONT SEATS.
I'm completely aligned.....it's best to keep short girlfriends (or any girlfriend for that matter) on the side.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I thought you were gonna tell us that with the backup camera not working...you didn’t see your petite wife standing back there...! Phew! 😫

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Interesting? Now you have me wondering how many of the infotainment/back-up camera issues might be related to the connectors under the seat?

Sponsored

Recoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Just attach a rope ladder to the bottom of the door instead

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I used the same situation as an excuse to get my rock slide engineering steps/rock sliders :like:
Not the GF part don't think the wife would approve lol.
I'm debating between these and something like the GoRhino Dominator D6 with the optional lower steps that I can remove when we're going off-roading.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I used the same situation as an excuse to get my rock slide engineering steps/rock sliders :like:
Not the GF part don't think the wife would approve lol.
If i ever get the XR package this will be ordered with it for this reason :)

Sponsored

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I thought you were gonna tell us that with the backup camera not working...you didn’t see your petite wife standing back there...! Phew! 😫
Would have been even worse if she had been wearing a red shirt if he did...
*Star Trek Geek reference*

Cheers,
-CM-

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There is actually a CAN connector/wiring block under the passenger seat. When I was tracing my crazy CAN bus error messages "Service Shifter and such" i looked at it. Turns out the connectors and the wires going into it are totally exposed and VERY easily bendable/damageable.

You can safely put stuff under the driver seat (there is only a rear air vent there), but not passenger seat.

Incidentally, that connector block is *below* the level of Jeep's 30"water fording depth. So, yeh, watch out.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
There is actually a CAN connector/wiring block under the passenger seat..

Turns out the connectors and the wires going into it are totally exposed and VERY easily bendable/damageable.

You can safely put stuff under the driver seat (there is only a rear air vent there), but not passenger seat.
The form-fitting seat covers in my JLU require a plethora of straps that are secured (and under constant tension) under each seat. I'll have a look to determine if they are making excessive contact with the wires that you mention.

+1 on short girlfriends not being marriage material. ;)
Sponsored