Sponsored

A few questions if you don't mind?

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Just recently joined JLWF & would like to ask a few questions for those that understand a little more about new vehicles & their technology. Little back ground though. The last vehicle I bought for myself is my 1990 Toyota 4x4 extra cab truck (yep bought brand new in 1990). The only power things it has is power steering & brakes, that's it. It does have the chrome package, full instrumentation, and most important A/C! Otherwise it is a 4 cylinder (22RE), 5-speed with some old American Racing wheels & 31x10.5x15 Grabber AT2 tires, some SR5 seats that I found & put in it, & Bilstein shocks (nothing fancy just use it for getting to work, hunting & fishing which puts me off-road a lot & wishing for locking diffs). So, technology is NOT there (not even a radio, it quit working years ago & I haven't replaced it). My wife has a 2007 Highlander (bought new in 2007) that has a lot of goodies, but it is still a Highlander. Even my 1991 MR2 turbo (2nd owner bought in 2001) doesn't really have any "technology" features. With exception of the MR2 the other 2 Toyotas have over 200,000 miles (MR2 has 158,000). Thus, the world I am coming from.

So, I plan on buying/ordering a JLUR in the spring (March-May 2019). I plan on keeping this vehicle for 30 years, just like my Toyota truck. After months of research, of everything in the $75,000 price range, it came down to the TRD Pro 4Runner or Jeep JLUR. For my needs & wants the Jeep is the best pick for me. Now, I have read all the issues & see all the people that just absolutely love their Jeep JL. I am more than capable of working on & fixing things (complete rebuild of my non stock MR2 turbo). My concerns come with the technology aspects. So, let me get to the questions.

I keep seeing folks that have a radio issue, tranny issue, dash issue, etc... & it gets fixed with an update that is downloaded.
1. So, does this mean, that if you have a problem, you just have to live with it until an update can be developed & downloaded? Or could a reflash reset it to make things work?
2. These updates, are they done by the dealership, or by wireless to your vehicle?
3. If wireless, does that get automatically done when available?
4. If/or dealership, can you just walk in & get a reflash/update (I realize this may be dependent on the dealership)?

Lastly...
5. Will this Jeep's software, that appears to be running everything, stop being supported & then we will be out of luck 10 or 20 years down the road & have to purchase a new vehicle?

I fear question # 5, as I see cell phones, tablets, & computers are all this way. I sure don't want to spend around $50,000 for a Jeep I may not be able to keep for 30 years.

Thanking y'all in advance if you can give me a little help in this.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
2 Toyotas have over 200,000 miles (MR2 has 158,000). Thus, the world I am coming from.
I plan on keeping this vehicle for 30 years, just like my Toyota truck.
it came down to the TRD Pro 4Runner or Jeep JLUR.
I sure don't want to spend around $50,000 for a Jeep I may not be able to keep for 30 years.
You've answered your own question , Chief .

It comes down to reliability ( 4-runner ) , or a throw of the dice (JL) . If you are a rich gambler with a fat wallet , you go with the JL . If you are a cautious careful dude , you go with the 4-Runner . lol .

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Don’t overthink it. No matter what you buy in a 2018 model, it’s going to be computer controlled.

As for #5, there will always be a robust aftermarket for Wrangler. One can still buy parts for a 1968 Mustang, and the same will be true for Wrangler bin 30yrs.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

It comes down to reliability ( 4-runner ) , or a throw of the dice (JL) . If you are a rich gambler with a fat wallet , you go with the JL . If you are a cautious careful dude , you go with the 4-Runner . lol .
No. JL is not a gamble. @old8tora does not even own one. For some reason he like to troll those of us that do, however. Whatever.

OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray

Hahaha, rich gambler is definitely not me. Granted on the 4Runner, but I just didn't like the 4Runner as compared to the Jeep. Plus, the 4Runner, my truck, my wife's Highlander, & the MR2 have all had recalls & items that broke & needed fixing. Granted, I have rarely been stuck on the side of the road.

My main concern has been the technology aspect, becoming out dated & not supported. I can fix my current truck with bailing wire & duct tape & simple set of tools. I guess, I could do like my MR2 & hook the Jeep to a laptop & start fixing things.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Don’t overthink it. No matter what you buy in a 2018 model, it’s going to be computer controlled.

As for #5, there will always be a robust aftermarket for Wrangler. One can still buy parts for a 1968 Mustang, and the same will be true for Wrangler bin 30yrs.
Good to know, because that is one of the reasons I want the Jeep. I can't get good brake pads for my truck anymore & finding parts for the MR2, I have to look to specialty shops or Japan.

Don't mind turning the wrenches, just want to make sure on the tech aspect. Seeing unsupported tech & "end of life" equipment at work that majorly affects our budget, I didn't want to have to deal with that with the Jeep, or any new vehicle for that matter.

Thanks!

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Hahaha, rich gambler is definitely not me. Granted on the 4Runner, but I just didn't like the 4Runner as compared to the Jeep. Plus, the 4Runner, my truck, my wife's Highlander, & the MR2 have all had recalls & items that broke & needed fixing. Granted, I have rarely been stuck on the side of the road.

My main concern has been the technology aspect, becoming out dated & not supported. I can fix my current truck with bailing wire & duct tape & simple set of tools. I guess, I could do like my MR2 & hook the Jeep to a laptop & start fixing things.
If you decide on the Jeep and plan on keeping it a long time, consider getting a lifetime Max Care Warranty. There are some threads on the forum about this, but you can get one with $100 deductible for around $3000. It offers a little peace of mind considering these are early production vehicles.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
just want to make sure on the tech aspect. Seeing unsupported tech & "end of life" equipment at work that majorly affects our budget, I didn't want to have to deal with that with the Jeep, or any new vehicle for that matter.
getting warmer .

OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
No. JL is not a gamble.
Well, buying any vehicle can be a bit of a gamble. The thing is to know your dealership & have a rapport with them & it helps when you know how to fix things & therefore speak the language with the service dept. So, with that, I'm not afraid to buy a Jeep. It just fits my needs & wants best for me.

Thanks for info, still a little concerned about the tech aspect. But, I guess I can figure that out eventually. Still have a few months of research & to finish paying off a couple of items & then to get that JLUR.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
No. JL is not a gamble. @old8tora does not even own one. For some reason he like to troll those of us that do, however. Whatever.
A Wrangler is certainly no more of a gamble than a modern 4runner, anyhow. The legendary Toyota reliability came from a time when Detroit (and Toledo) was producing cut rate junk, and cars were simpler. Today, even Jags and Land Rover are 100k mile cars. But concurrently even Toyotas have failures around 200k. In fantasy-land, you still have a lotta old school folks who romanticize modern 4runners (though the old ones really ARE epic). But in reality you get about the same reliability in a Jeep. With better creature comforts in the JL.

Just keep your expectations in check. The simple machines of 1990 are no longer legally sellable in the US, too many mandatory electronics. And manufacturers go way beyond what is required as people demand greater safety (blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc.).

All that said, @OldGuyNewJeep nailed it: the crazy robust after market--and a little TLC--should keep your rig on (and off) the road for a long time.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Thanks for info, still a little concerned about the tech aspect. But, I guess I can figure that out eventually. Still have a few months of research & to finish paying off a couple of items & then to get that JLUR.
ALSO remember the Sport model lets you get the absolute simplest vehicle on the road. ;)

OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
BlackRook,
Well put sir. And, I have noticed that about the Sport. I recently rented one for a week (2017 JK though) while in Alaska on vacation & put about 1100 miles on it. I liked it, but I like the JL just a little better.

To be honest, I want the items the Rubicon comes with. The locking diffs, & creature comforts. I'm getting old & have a broken up body from work. I still want/need to go off-road for my hobbies, but I want to do it in comfort & with conveniences. My knees are tired of shifting gears (thus I want a auto tranny) & I just want it! Now that kids are grown & I'm not having to help them or anything. I'm finally getting a chance to treat myself. So, thus the want for the Rubicon.

Thanks though!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
If you decide on the Jeep and plan on keeping it a long time, consider getting a lifetime Max Care Warranty. There are some threads on the forum about this, but you can get one with $100 deductible for around $3000. It offers a little peace of mind considering these are early production vehicles.
Yes, I have noticed this & I will look into it further. My issue may be that I do all my own regular maintenance. I don't always trust others to do what I know I will take the time to make sure it is done right. Where I live has one of the best Toyota dealerships around when it comes to service. But, I have seen them leave a oil filter wrench on the filter. My aunt drove off in her 4Runner, the wrench came off & got stuck in the front axle. Caused some damage, but not too bad. The dealership made it all right at no charge. But, that is something I would NEVER do. Granted mistakes happen, but I am less likely to make those mistakes when working on my vehicles.

These types of warranties usually have stipulations on the preventative maintenance, but I will have to look into it for sure.
Thanks for reminding me about that!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Jeeps and Harley’s are different animals. Technology will change... that’s a given. But for those two brands there will always be HUGE aftermarket support, suppliers, and specialty shops. It will cost you, but it will exist. Try to find parts or services for a Yugo now.
There will be a lot that it probably won’t be practical for you to equip yourself to do on any new vehicle. Jeeps however, will always have someone around working on them.
Sponsored