Sponsored

Short guys only again?

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
I can say for sure that the new JL will feel huge after sitting behind the wheel of a 2018 corvette. Disregard this comment if your height starts with a 5
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I can say for sure that the new JL will feel huge after sitting behind the wheel of a 2018 corvette. Disregard this comment if your height starts with a 5
Ha, that's for sure! I used to switch back and forth between a (lifted) '83 Blazer Silverado and a '99 Corvette. The drastic changes between the cabin and ride height were always pretty disconcerting initially.

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Same here. I wonder if OP meant waist size.... lol... that may be a problem since JL interior specs are slightly smaller than the JK. Only the rear leg room is increased.

And yeah the knee on door thing. I had to stick a pad to keep knee from hitting the door locks and not rub my knee raw when wearing shorts. Common issue and dont see it going away with JL.
Nope 6' 4" 240 pounds. Some people have more trouble than other with the same total height (leg vs torso length?). I have a big head, so my head may have more side reach to the right plastic sticking out from sport bar to right of drivers head.

Fiddled around with dealer, could tweak it so I don't hit sport bar in back of my head, but nothing stops my head from hitting hard on the plastic to right, and offset hit would be a skull fracture. I could pretend side movement would not occur in a collision or offroading and buy anyways.. but why.. fix it!

An inch or so would probably fix it all on the JK. Looking at pictures of the JL today, I am thinking its going to be better:
skull.PNG

They have the seat a bit forward and head rest down, but the bar looks flatter (higher?). Very hopeful.
I really wanna buy one of these guys and not have to start cutting

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm 5'8".

Do you think I will be able to fit in the jeep? Because I am tall and life is hard. Waah, waah, waah.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Same here. I wonder if OP meant waist size.... lol... that may be a problem since JL interior specs are slightly smaller than the JK. Only the rear leg room is increased.
Well if someone is morbidly obese, it's always going to be tight regardless of height.
obesewrangler.jpg

Last edited:

David West

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler 4.0
I'm a touch over 6' tall, but I'm a TJ guy and have very, very little experience with the JK so I have no idea what you guys are talking about right now. What hits people in the head? I have plenty of headroom in my TJ. Enough that I have a custom rifle rack mounted directly above my head and it's not that bad. I'm hoping to upgrade to a JT in a year or two... Something this small would never change that but I am very curious what this protrusion you guys are talking about is.

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I'm a touch over 6' tall, but I'm a TJ guy and have very, very little experience with the JK so I have no idea what you guys are talking about right now. What hits people in the head? I have plenty of headroom in my TJ. Enough that I have a custom rifle rack mounted directly above my head and it's not that bad. I'm hoping to upgrade to a JT in a year or two... Something this small would never change that but I am very curious what this protrusion you guys are talking about is.
At 6' you are fine, and head room straight up is great in all cases, no worries.

The trouble is the hard plastic cover over the sports bar (dome lights, speakers and such) in JK by right side of drivers head. They cover the other parts in a semi padded cover. Then suddenly pad ends and a hard plastic takes over. here is an over head picture of what I am talking about.

Capture.PNG

If you can pull seat forward you would never notice it, or if your head is not high enough in the back position you might miss it (an inch is huge here)

If I was willing to shoot seat up slightly I can do it (not comfortable at all then). I held off on JK after reading JL may have more room. It looks like an amazing vehicle, so its worth watching and checking out.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You guys keep saying right side of drivers’ head. Don’t you mean left?

Sponsored

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
You guys keep saying right side of drivers’ head. Don’t you mean left?
No, to the drivers left is the door and the bar there is sorta padded.

To the drivers right is hard plastic sticking out, I put 2 pictures in thread one point to JK issue and another potential JL one.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No, to the drivers left is the door and the bar there is sorta padded.

To the drivers right is hard plastic sticking out, I put 2 pictures in thread one point to JK issue and another potential JL one.
Gotcha. I keep seeing people talk about the speaker/light pod to the right side of the drivers head. I keep thinking I know 5’8 is short, but how tall are these guys. Is it the part that sticks out for the freedom panel latches that you hit?

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, '22 XR
TFLCar will have some notes on the big & tall. Roman and Andre are 6'1" and 6'2". They keep saying they'll be driving the Wrangler soon.

The Steering wheel now telescopes, but I think that helps shorter people out more.
Really looking forward to their 1st drive! Feel like I refresh the TFL feed every few hours.

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Gotcha. I keep seeing people talk about the speaker/light pod to the right side of the drivers head. I keep thinking I know 5’8 is short, but how tall are these guys. Is it the part that sticks out for the freedom panel latches that you hit?
no not the latches, on the JK the plastic bulges out (see my jk picture above, look 3 inches from arrow, the plastic sticks out far enough to nail some people). My head hits the sportbar padding as well, but I can adjust the seat around some of the issues.

You can see in my JL picture the circled spot sticks out, but its hard to tell from angle if its an issue. Sadly reviewers like Andre and Roman are only 6' 2" and I am sure they would not have a problem in jk. We might be able to get them to simulate being a bit taller and push seat back and see how close their heads get.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I kinda sit with my right knee on the dash to avoid hitting my head. Plus I feel like a Nascar driver.
Sponsored