RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I think people made some really good arguments on both sides of the buy/don't buy JL decision. I've done my best here to distill it down for you.

If support of the rig is your concern: there will be support. I don't think any vehicle is better supported when factoring in the manufacturer and aftermarket's solutions.

If "do it yourself" is your thing, much of the JL would make it, but frankly most other 2018 model year vehicles (or later) as well: so highly computer controlled--not right for you. Much you can still do yourself. Much I wouldn't recommend.

Like you, I'm a "buy and hold" kind of guy too. A close friend who shared this belief remarked to me the other day that his next vehicle purchase coming up soon is going to be a lease. I was shocked, but noted his rationale that since vehicles have become "computers that happen to have engines," the obsolescence curve has shortened considerably.

I got the warranty. My late grandfather is screaming at me from the beyond. I'm telling him back that I don't work a "merely" 40/hour a week virtually guaranteed job like he did, vehicles have become more complex, and my disposable income, adjusting for inflation is greater than his, affording me this "luxury" that really isn't a luxury in this day and age where you can fix less and less yourself, to have a maintenance insurance policy, particularly for a new model rig.

Consider your priorities, the cost of your free time, your disposable income, etc. and you'll make the right call.
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Good to know, because that is one of the reasons I want the Jeep. I can't get good brake pads for my truck anymore & finding parts for the MR2, I have to look to specialty shops or Japan.

Don't mind turning the wrenches, just want to make sure on the tech aspect. Seeing unsupported tech & "end of life" equipment at work that majorly affects our budget, I didn't want to have to deal with that with the Jeep, or any new vehicle for that matter.

Thanks!
I'd just swag that you're in the top 95% or more if you keep vehicles 30 years. I hear you on the getting parts and throw away approach to most things these days though. Not sure what we know about 30 years from today since people think 1-3 years is a while to keep something.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
BlackRook,
Well put sir. And, I have noticed that about the Sport. I recently rented one for a week (2017 JK though) while in Alaska on vacation & put about 1100 miles on it. I liked it, but I like the JL just a little better.

To be honest, I want the items the Rubicon comes with. The locking diffs, & creature comforts. I'm getting old & have a broken up body from work. I still want/need to go off-road for my hobbies, but I want to do it in comfort & with conveniences. My knees are tired of shifting gears (thus I want a auto tranny) & I just want it! Now that kids are grown & I'm not having to help them or anything. I'm finally getting a chance to treat myself. So, thus the want for the Rubicon.

Thanks though!
Sounds like you're narrowing in on what you want. Go easy on yourself too...what you wanted 30 years ago is a little different. I don't wrench as much as I used to and have accepted that to some extent. :/

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
No. JL is not a gamble. @old8tora does not even own one. For some reason he like to troll those of us that do, however. Whatever.
He doesn't own one?? LOL...o snap! I've seen him posting all over the place; thought he had plenty of advice to give lol. This is interesting! :giggle:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If you decide on the Jeep and plan on keeping it a long time, consider getting a lifetime Max Care Warranty. There are some threads on the forum about this, but you can get one with $100 deductible for around $3000. It offers a little peace of mind considering these are early production vehicles.
The ADDED CARE PLUS , Lifetime, unlimited mileage plan that I purchased was $3889.00, but originally it runs $4500.00 in my location. I didn't get the Max because I don't have the technology package, no automatic locks, windows etc.; and my dealer told me that since I don't have those things, would sort of be a bit overkill to get the Max Care, since it covers most of the components that I don't have.

@Chief_Dan I definitely agree with @Mid-life Wrangler 's comment about the warranty. You also may not have to purchase it immediately after you purchase your Jeep...you have up to 24months in order to purchase it.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
ALSO remember the Sport model lets you get the absolute simplest vehicle on the road. ;)
Absolutely CORRECT! I'm a bit like Chief-Dan on this. I purchased my Sport JLU after having a 2003 for 13yrs. I miss putting the key in the ignition and cranking. All that mechanical stuff about vehicles, I MISS. I had an issue adapting with all the technological stuff, so I figured at least I could limit it with the base Sport Model. After having it for 3 weeks, I LOVE IT. I love that I have my manual rolling windows and my manual locks. I love being able to flick out my key still being able to hold on to that pre-technology era.

But yes, it has push button start. It feels odd for me, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'm loving the backup camera...I could already parallel park with no issues, but that camera is just a beast lol; it makes a lot of things much more simpler. The touch-screen/media center is NOICE...I can still hook up my OLD iPhone 4, that I use, as an iPod and jam to my music.

@Chief_Dan So the Jeep Sport JLU is a lovely fusion of technology and the mechanical elements that you will miss if you upgrade to a Sahara or Rubicon. I'm not sure if the Sport S has an option for manual doors/windows. But I haven't regretted my decision in the base sport...plus those black rims along with the Green (Mojito!) is HAWWTTT imo; and the black rims are standard with the base Sport Model. Hope you enjoy your Jeep when you get it :)

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
He doesn't own one?? LOL...o snap! I've seen him posting all over the place; thought he had plenty of advice to give lol. This is interesting! :giggle:
You are welcome , and I hope you are well . I have no advice about ESS , but I might have some out-of-date advice about other Jeeps over the past 51 years .

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
You are welcome , and I hope you are well . I have no advice about ESS , but I might have some out-of-date advice about other Jeeps over the past 51 years .
Sounds good! Keep posting! :like:

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
The ADDED CARE PLUS , Lifetime, unlimited mileage plan that I purchased was $3889.00, but originally it runs $4500.00 in my location. I didn't get the Max because I don't have the technology package, no automatic locks, windows etc.; and my dealer told me that since I don't have those things, would sort of be a bit overkill to get the Max Care, since it covers most of the components that I don't have.

@Chief_Dan I definitely agree with @Mid-life Wrangler 's comment about the warranty. You also may not have to purchase it immediately after you purchase your Jeep...you have up to 24months in order to purchase it.
That is msrp. I paid $2900. That is negotiable. You can search the forum for the dealers that will go that low. My dealer matched an offer that was on this forum.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
That is msrp. I paid $2900. That is negotiable. You can search the forum for the dealers that will go that low. My dealer matched an offer that was on this forum.
Correct, I know that all warranties can be negotiated. I didn't ask for a discount, although they gave me a slight one. I'm sure the amounts vary per state and per dealership.

Anyway, you got a Hawwtt deal :rock:

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I’ll say this: it’s a gamble in today’s world to assume that any vehicle will have support 30 years from now. However, the Jeep brand has been around for 75 years. There is still support for the 1941 version, there will be support for the 2018 version.

I worked at Saturn 15 years ago and it was a great startup. But just like other vehicles that tried to fit everyone, it just melted into the rest of the car world. The Wrangler is unique and has had a following unlike any other vehicle made. Frankly, your 4Runner would be more of a risk than a Wrangler. I had an FJ and you know how that story ends.

As for the option of duct tape and a screwdriver- those days are gone. You have to assume tech is today. But moving forward, there won’t be any less tech. It will just get more and more complicated. Studies are showing that self driving cars are within 15 years of being the majority of the cars on the road. So 30 years from now- who knows what you’ll be comparing this to.

So if you want a vote- you’re on a Jeep forum. But if you want a testimony- I just spent the day driving with top off and rocking out to 90s grunge in 100 degree heat. At no point was I disappointed. See if you can find that on that many other forums...

OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
TaiMc & Shooting or Jeeping,
Thanks for the info, most is what I thought, just good to confirm.
But, YES, I am going with a JL Wrangler Unlimited. More than likely the Rubicon as I really need those locking diffs where I hunt the most. My Toyota still gets stuck, but it is a pain when the left front & right rear wheels are spinning. A locking diff like ARB would make a BIG difference on my old Toyota, but I would like to get something new with that already from the factory.
Believe me I know how it is trying to find parts, one of the reasons I'm glad I didn't get an FJ Cruiser a few years back. Having learned how to drive & work on cars with a 1946 Jeep Willis that my dad had, makes me a little nostalgic. But, I could completely rebuild that dude even today. Can't my truck without a lot of trouble.

My main concern is with these "updates" that the computer controlled systems need, like the tranny, may not be supported in the future. Also, afraid that if I go with the 8.4" screen upgrade(which I would like to have since I'm getting old) that 5 years or so later, I will be told that the software in it is no longer supported & I will have to buy new software or worse new hardware (a new system & screen).

But, I guess y'all are right in that it is a gamble either way especially in the way tech is advancing so rapidly. I can fix anything that needs it myself, from replacing PW, PDL, PM systems & their controls, even opening up the controllers & soldering it up to fix contacts & wires. Did a lot of this in my MR2. So, I guess it really does come down to what I want & what I expect when I get what I want. Thus, why I came to this forum since I have decided on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Thanks again everyone & hope to see y'all out on the trials one day soon. I'm sure I will be posting more questions & hopefully helping some folks as well.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I got a Rubi with manual transmission. No extended warranty. I’m not concerned at all about technology or obsolescence. If or when something like the ESS truly becomes a problem, there are so many Jeeps out there that someone smarter than me will develop a work around. Don’t over think it, specially if you are mechanically inclined. I’ve own Range Rover and enjoyed every mile and never let me stranded despite the horror stories. And by the way, I I’d buy a new FJ Cruiser in 2007. Now with 200K miles. Passed on to my son and still going strong. Don’t know why you say you were lucky not to get one. I’m lucky to have one.
Go Jeep !!!
Sponsored