Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Don't fear the 2.0L! I spent some time on the trail with two Jeeps equipped with the 2.0L eTorque....came away mighty impressed.

I have a video up on my YouTube channel covering the 2.0L on the trail. You can see that at Expedition Builds-YouTube. Please don't post the link here, admns will take it down.

I'm hoping to move from my current JKU to a Recon sometime this spring. I made that decision after spending time with the 2.0L eTorque. Great motor and room to access more performance via aftermarket mods.

-Steven

Last edited:

Eskimojoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0
My 2.0 has been great. I live in the pine mountains of AZ weekend trips have frequent creek crossings have not had any issues.
Just spent the weekend driving from Lake Havasu AZ to Perkinsville AZ about 120miles through desert and forest terrain also with 2 creek crossings no hiccups to speak of even going from 700' to 3800 with 6k elevation peaks. Jeep is just under 1300 miles but will be used exclusively on trails or getting to them since I have a separate vehicle for work. No regrets here!

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I have a 2L turbo JLU Sahara on 37s

I did a ā€œwinter runā€ 2 months ago and the turbo was great. The rubis were having trouble in the ice and snow on climbs while using lockers. Since I donā€™t have them I just used 4hi with lots of wheel speed and did fine. Iā€™m a lot braver on rock crawls now with the addition of skids. Performed great so far.

In 4lo the engine is right at the bottom end of turbo so thereā€™s no lag. In 4hi Iā€™ve crossed some obstacles by ā€œbrake standingā€ to spool up the turbo

Iā€™m running stock 3.45s and donā€™t mind it at all on the road and on the trails. I will regear but only so I can regain 7-8th gears (and will add air lockers at that time)

Iā€™m hoping to hit CO and AZ this year, Moab next year

I would buy again

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
2.0L Sport, stock, except for 33s. I went up some pretty steep grades, off camber, deep sugar sand. ā€˜Nuff said. ;)

81A0D419-4C28-4CF3-A83B-21000F010047.jpeg

906B9360-860F-45AE-8C06-F771A00454F7.jpeg

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad I came across this thread. I definitely had concerns mainly from the "bro-science" you hear around town usually from the guy with the diesel and 40" tires etc.

I am in process of selling my 3.6L JKUR Hard Rock which I have built up and done many off-road trips including the Rubicon Trail. I have my eye on a similarly built JLUR sitting on a dealer lot with 37's and a 3.5" lift. My only concern is that I think they left the stock gearing (3.7x?). I have had 4.10's in my rig on 35's for years without issue but I may be re-gearing if I end up purchasing this particular JL. 5.13's perhaps? Aside from that I really like the rig as it's been built and thanks to this thread have much less concern about wheeling it with the 2.0.

Being a Rubicon I wasn't planning on upgrading the stock axles as my understanding is that they have been improved over the previous JKR D44's even and I've never had an issue with those. Are there any other weak points that I should be concerned with? (I'm not planning on doing the Rubicon again anytime soon and mostly just overland with the occasional dicey section).

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'm glad I came across this thread. I definitely had concerns mainly from the "bro-science" you hear around town usually from the guy with the diesel and 40" tires etc.

I am in process of selling my 3.6L JKUR Hard Rock which I have built up and done many off-road trips including the Rubicon Trail. I have my eye on a similarly built JLUR sitting on a dealer lot with 37's and a 3.5" lift. My only concern is that I think they left the stock gearing (3.7x?). I have had 4.10's in my rig on 35's for years without issue but I may be re-gearing if I end up purchasing this particular JL. 5.13's perhaps? Aside from that I really like the rig as it's been built and thanks to this thread have much less concern about wheeling it with the 2.0.

Being a Rubicon I wasn't planning on upgrading the stock axles as my understanding is that they have been improved over the previous JKR D44's even and I've never had an issue with those. Are there any other weak points that I should be concerned with? (I'm not planning on doing the Rubicon again anytime soon and mostly just overland with the occasional dicey section).
I'm in the same boat as you. Fully built 16' Hard Rock on 37's, Tera 44R front axle, etc..

I'm really looking forward to getting into a new Recon(for the 2.0L eTorque). You might be surprised by the difference the new 8-speed makes with regard to re-gearing...or not. Lastly, the new Advantek D44 axles in the JL platform feature stronger 2-3/4" axle tubes. I think you could safely run 35's.

-Steven

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I have my eye on a similarly built JLUR sitting on a dealer lot with 37's and a 3.5" lift. My only concern is that I think they left the stock gearing (3.7x?).
FYI: All gas Rubicons come with 4.10s.

My stock JLR 2.0 with 33s actually feels like it has too much gearing sometimes...

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Have had 37's on my 18 JLUR with 2.0T for about a month now. Would 4.88 or 5.13 gears be better, yes especially on the freeway. However, the 2.0 with 4.10 gears and 8spd transmission handle the 37's very nicely and I don't feel I "have to" re-gear (unlike my TJ Rubicon with 35's and underpowered 4.0 engine). I'm taking my money saved for a re-gear and using it for other parts.

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Have had 37's on my 18 JLUR with 2.0T for about a month now. Would 4.88 or 5.13 gears be better, yes especially on the freeway. However, the 2.0 with 4.10 gears and 8spd transmission handle the 37's very nicely and I don't feel I "have to" re-gear (unlike my TJ Rubicon with 35's and underpowered 4.0 engine). I'm taking my money saved for a re-gear and using it for other parts.
This is great to hear! The 8-speed was such a huge step forward in performance/economy.

In the video I have up on Expedition Builds, the black Jeep is running 4.88's while the TeraFlex Jeep is running 5.38's with 39" KM3's. Interestingly, both owners loved the performance with their chosen gears.

-Steven

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy to hear the new 8-speed transmission handles the gearing well and I was unaware that all Rubicons came standard with 4.10 gearing now as this was not the case with the JK Rubicons and I had to order mine with 4.10's. It's starting to sound like I will be able to save the money on gearing and put it someplace else.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara

The only downside about the JL is that gorgeous Anvil color is not an option.