Have you submerged your 2.0

• Total voters

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone submerged their 2.0? The purpose of this forum is to motivate and eliminate any fears 2.0 owners may have...
Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I live in Houston and was in 35-40” of water just the other day for about 3 minutes. Not an issue.

Last edited:

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Define "submerged"? Over the tow hooks? It did go a bit deeper.. Bone stock, before the Mopar lift and 35s.
Have done this multiple times without any issues.

upload_2019-9-30_18-22-14.png

OP
OP
USMCBK1

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Define "submerged"? Over the tow hooks? It did go a bit deeper.. Bone stock, before the Mopar lift and 35s.
Have done this multiple times without any issues.

upload_2019-9-30_18-22-14.png
That’s Awesome!!

Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
yes multiple times, its a "closed system" youll be fine
Yes, but even a single droplet of water hitting the impeller can cause catastrophic failure of the turbo. I’ve had wet air filters before on older SUVs and never had an issue but I’ve done pre-turbo water/meth and know people who have destroyed their turbos from 0.1 ml droplets hitting the impeller at higher rpms. Most turbos are 70-90k rpm. I’d be worried about it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
During a huge rain storm, I had to go through a flooded section of road about a 100 yards long and half of that distance was a couple to a few inches above the top of my 35's on an otherwise bone stock 19 JLUR turbo. I was driving my father home from his shop. He commuted in on a motorcycle, so was originally gonna wait it out. I wasn't having that. Shortly after fording that road river, he realized he forgot something important enough to turn around. On the third crossing with zero issue, I decided to come to a dead stop for a few minutes at the deepest point to test the door seals. Not a drop came through any of the 4 doors or the tailgate. I dropped the oil out of both rears the next morning after a drive to stir everything up, and not one sign of any milkshake.

Edit to add: I never barrel through deeper water. I always go through like I'm in a no wake zone.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yes, but even a single droplet of water hitting the impeller can cause catastrophic failure of the turbo. I’ve had wet air filters before on older SUVs and never had an issue but I’ve done pre-turbo water/meth and know people who have destroyed their turbos from 0.1 ml droplets hitting the impeller at higher rpms. Most turbos are 70-90k rpm. I’d be worried about it.
:facepalm:

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not to say that, and the subsequent hydro locking of the engine couldn't happen, but one would have to really push pass the point of needing a snorkel for any real concern to be had.

Just yesterday, I came across a YouTube video entitled something like morons crossing rivers. It was amazing what some of them went through and were still running and drove away. Not to say I'd be that lemming that would follow.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Not to say that, and the subsequent hydro locking of the engine couldn't happen, but one would have to really push pass the point of needing a snorkel for any real concern to be had.

Just yesterday, I came across a YouTube video entitled something like morons crossing rivers. It was amazing what some of them went through and were still running and drove away. Not to say I'd be that lemming that would follow.
You won’t hydrolock the engine from a small amount of water, like from a splash but a splash of water hitting the impellers fucks them up.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
You have experience spraying water into turbos? If it doesn’t properly atomize it damages the turbo, depending on the size of the droplets your damage will vary. The pic is from a pre turbo water meth set up which far more ideal than water in an intake which good be a few hundred milliliters.
upload_2019-10-15_16-26-51.jpeg

upload_2019-10-15_16-24-14.jpeg

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You have experience spraying water into turbos? If it doesn’t properly atomize it damages the turbo, depending on the size of the droplets your damage will vary. The pic is from a pre turbo water meth set up which far more ideal than water in an intake which good be a few hundred milliliters.
upload_2019-10-15_16-26-51.jpeg

upload_2019-10-15_16-24-14.jpeg
Paranoia over this happening in any modern turbocharged engine is unwarranted. As long as you don't subject your vehicle to abuse beyond the manufacturer's recommendations, the chances of this happening is remote. An easy solution to your worries is for you to avoid turbocharged engines and leave it at that. No reason to spread your hysterics to others.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Paranoia over this happening in any modern turbocharged engine is unwarranted. As long as you don't subject your vehicle to abuse beyond the manufacturer's recommendations, the chances of this happening is remote. An easy solution to your worries is for you to avoid turbocharged engines and leave it at that. No reason to spread your hysterics to others.
That turbo is off an MK7 GTI so it’s a modern engine. My advice is if you have the 2.0 you avoid water crossings or get a snorkel, check and make sure no part of the intake is loose before a water crossing. Most people exceed the fording depth and have no issues, I’m just saying there is a chance and to be careful. I don’t think encouraging people to be careful with water crossings is promoting hysteria. I’m stoked the 2020 2.0 got rid of the etorque, I think it’s the best engine option.
Sponsored