Do all Wranglers handle like this?

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
After 25 years of driving jeeps, everything else I drive seems like there is something wrong with the handling. Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it 🤪
Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
...There is almost ZERO "return to center" force at the steering wheel when coming out of a turn. You basically have to hand-over-hand it back to center otherwise it will just keep turning...
I know, isn't it great!

Really makes you feel like a man!

The best vehicles are the ones that do what you tell them to, and not think for themselves!

I like to do donuts and sip coffee at the same time, and it's hard to do when the steering wheel keeps coming back to center. Also too when you're sliding around on the highways going 70 during an ice storm, one of the worst things that can happen is if the steering wheel starts doing stuff without your permission. Nothing worse than trying to correct a sideways drift on a major highway and having the vehicle get you in a wreck because it thinks it knows better than you.

God I love my Wrangler!!!

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I drove my son's 2019 Wrangler JL Sahara for the first time awhile back and was a bit startled by its handling. I have never driven any other vehicle, including trucks, that behaved like this.

There is almost ZERO "return to center" force at the steering wheel when coming out of a turn. You basically have to hand-over-hand it back to center otherwise it will just keep turning. He's used to it but to me it feels very unstable as if it could dart off to the left or right if you were to let go of the wheel - or hit a pothole, etc.

We added longer lower track arms to add more caster thinking this would help - and it did - but it still doesn't feel right to me.

Is this typical of how all Jeep Wranglers behave?

He bought the truck built by the dealer's customer shop with 2" Mopar lift and 35x12.5 BFG AT2 on 17x9 Method wheels. Everything has been checked (alignment, etc.) and all are within spec.
It it requires manual effort to return to center then your pitman arm needs to be recentered. You can do it yourself if you have a few tools and some mech ability other wise stop off at you dealer and have them adjust it...by the way it about a 10 min job so don't anyone charge you hours of shop time.

Keller

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had an early build Gladiator and chucked it because the steering was so bad. It was my 4th Jeep, all others being Wranglers, and it was downright scary on the highway. Dealership basically told me it was a Jeep thing after multiple trips to get resolution.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've adjusted steering boxes years ago. '72 Volvo that I had for about a year.
First day took the '19 JLU back to the dealer. Said it needed adjusting...they said all TSB's were done; they had taken a brand new one in stock out and it was the same.

Eventually the steering gear was replaced. That solved the issue I had which was wandering.

There are lots of ways that adjusting the steering gear wrong can lead to trouble. Overtighten it, and there is no return to centre.

@JeepCares helped me a lot. Send them an email if you issues like those described. That's what I did and they were so helpful.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
You should try driving my F250. You get arm muscles driving that thing.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had an early build Gladiator and chucked it because the steering was so bad. It was my 4th Jeep, all others being Wranglers, and it was downright scary on the highway. Dealership basically told me it was a Jeep thing after multiple trips to get resolution.
Same here.

In my case, I made the mistake of adding a Mopar lift. The Jeep never drove the same ever again. I was able to reduce some of the pull and steering play by swapping a few parts —YETI track-bar, Fox stabilizer, new steering box. But it remained a chore to drive on the freeway.

The dealer refused to accept any responsibility, even though they sold me and installed the lift.

It was the biggest waste of money, and of a Jeep.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've adjusted steering boxes years ago. '72 Volvo that I had for about a year.
First day took the '19 JLU back to the dealer. Said it needed adjusting...they said all TSB's were done; they had taken a brand new one in stock out and it was the same.

Eventually the steering gear was replaced. That solved the issue I had which was wandering.

There are lots of ways that adjusting the steering gear wrong can lead to trouble. Overtighten it, and there is no return to centre.

@JeepCares helped me a lot. Send them an email if you issues like those described. That's what I did and they were so helpful.
Thank you for the positive feedback, Dave. We are glad to hear your vehicle repairs were successful. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we can help with.

Blair
Jeep Cares

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@JeepCares

Blair I have an observation that I'd like to pass along. May I send you a PM?

DaveL

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Same here.

In my case, I made the mistake of adding a Mopar lift. The Jeep never drove the same ever again. I was able to reduce some of the pull and steering play by swapping a few parts —YETI track-bar, Fox stabilizer, new steering box. But it remained a chore to drive on the freeway.

The dealer refused to accept any responsibility, even though they sold me and installed the lift.

It was the biggest waste of money, and of a Jeep.
Question--did you have an alignment done before the Mopar Lift? It may/did affect alignment.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Question--did you have an alignment done before the Mopar Lift? It may/did affect alignment.
I had an alignment done AFTER the Mopar lift. It did nothing to reduce the strong pull or the numb steering.

Swapping the steering box under the TSB had the biggest effect, followed by swapping the OE stabilizer with a beefier Fox unit.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392
If you're hitting a bump and going flying this may be sign of loose steering components underneath. I experienced similar after 5K in a 2024, and after they tightened everything up, it was perfect.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Longer lower control arms can do wonders for straightening things out. Get that castor to 6.5+ and experience better handling. 👍
This man speaks the truth, it will do wonders for the wanders :)

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
I've read complaints like this before, I guess I feel lucky, this is not the case at all for my jeep in fact the damn thing drives like it's on rails. I can even let the wheel go and multitask while driving, drives straight as an arrow. I sometimes wonder if it's maybe the tires I'm running, I don't know.

200.gif
Sponsored