Sponsored

Differential oil change

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i've never used amsoil or royal purple stuff, but i have also never blown my rear out
Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
Thanks for sharing that. Out of curiosity is that from the factory service manual? Just curious since it doesn't line up at all with what the owners manual says. You'd think they're proofread this stuff and put the same info out everywhere
@Rhinebeck01 I'm trying to figure out why you reacted to this with a laughing emoji? It was a serious question. I'm trying to track down why the owners manual says one thing and the service manual (I'm assuming this is from there) says something else. Most people don't have access to the FSM, so if the owners manual info is incorrect then they need to know. I miss the old days of being able to have access to a paper or PDF manual instead of this subscription crap.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Rhine beck, That's what I was looking for! That should be in the manual!
Thank You.

G.

Ronbo Ranger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Banks on YouTube did a study on diff covers and oil levels. He proves the after market diff covers are not really designed correctly. Check out the third vid in that series. Just search Banks differential covers.

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, Ducati Monster 796
Hey Everyone,

Im about to tackle changing the differential fluid. Had a quick question. I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with limited slip diff (m220) in rear, m186 in front. I also have the tow package, although I don't really tow anything.

Many of the oil manufacturers sites suggest using 75W90 for both instead of the 75w85 that I believe Mopar recommends. That being said, I have also read that if you have the tow package, you should put 75w140 in the m220. I'm mainly looking at the Royal Purple brand as I'm told you don't need any additives and people seem to speak highly of it.

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone,

Im about to tackle changing the differential fluid. Had a quick question. I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with limited slip diff (m220) in rear, m186 in front. I also have the tow package, although I don't really tow anything.

Many of the oil manufacturers sites suggest using 75W90 for both instead of the 75w85 that I believe Mopar recommends. That being said, I have also read that if you have the tow package, you should put 75w140 in the m220. I'm mainly looking at the Royal Purple brand as I'm told you don't need any additives and people seem to speak highly of it.

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I try not to over-think gear oil. Yes, Royal Purple is very good and is what I use. No additional friction modifier for Limited Slip Differentials are needed with their products.

I use their 75w90 in front and 75w140 in the rear. I don't tow either, but am carrying around a lot of extra steel skids and winch. The rear diff is always turning and then subject to continuous loads, heat, etc. vs. the front. This is why I prefer to use the 75w140 in the rear diff.

If you're not going to tow, go off road, etc., you would be able to get by with 75w90 in both front and rear. But using 75w140 won't hurt anything.

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I try not to over-think gear oil. Yes, Royal Purple is very good and is what I use. No additional friction modifier for Limited Slip Differentials are needed with their products.

I use their 75w90 in front and 75w140 in the rear. I don't tow either, but am carrying around a lot of extra steel skids and winch. The rear diff is always turning and then subject to continuous loads, heat, etc. vs. the front. This is why I prefer to use the 75w140 in the rear diff.

If you're not going to tow, go off road, etc., you would be able to get by with 75w90 in both front and rear. But using 75w140 won't hurt anything.
Thanks for the clarification. I just want to make sure whatever I do doesn't cause me some grief from FCA in some manner. Can I ask if there is any real advantage to using the 75w140 for the average commuter?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the clarification. I just want to make sure whatever I do doesn't cause me some grief from FCA in some manner. Can I ask if there is any real advantage to using the 75w140 for the average commuter?
No real advantage. If you're just doing normal driving, 75w90 is fine. Plus they're a few bucks cheaper per quart than 75w140.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@AG30 - A couple of things to remember about these Advantek axles:

1. The overall oil capacity has been reduced from previous generations with the front holding between 1.3 and 1.5 QTs and the rear holding between 1.4 and 1.6 QTs.

2. These axles run hotter than previous generations likely due to the reduced oil capacity and the new gear design.

Neither of these conditions are conducive to long oil life or long intervals between changes.

I would rather have the extra protection and not need it than vice-versa. I run 75W-110 in the front and 75W-140 in the rear.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
75w140 in the rear and 75w90 in the front, I tow but not all the time. I go off the hard every chance I get. Just like added protection as the rear is always working. Don't care what brand anyone uses but do recommend the flex pouches. Makes the job a lot easier. No additives needed with lockers. I change my oil every few thousand miles and it takes about 30 minutes to do both ends. Oil is cheep compared to components. Have stock covers and have no plans to change them. Royal Purple, Amsoil, Pennzoil, Valvoline and many other manufacturers make good gear oil. Again I highly recommend the flexible pouches

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Agreed. Those make changing the diff fluid so much easier. It's worth the little extra $$$. I got a case of them from Amazon so I'm good for a few changes.
Yea I buy Amsoil that way myself. No fuss oil change just squeeze the bag and you are done. Takes more time for me to find the beer I put down

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75w140 in the rear and 75w90 in the front, I tow but not all the time. I go off the hard every chance I get. Just like added protection as the rear is always working. Don't care what brand anyone uses but do recommend the flex pouches. Makes the job a lot easier. No additives needed with lockers. I change my oil every few thousand miles and it takes about 30 minutes to do both ends. Oil is cheep compared to components. Have stock covers and have no plans to change them. Royal Purple, Amsoil, Pennzoil, Valvoline and many other manufacturers make good gear oil. Again I highly recommend the flexible pouches
I think I'm going to try the 75w-90 up front, and the 75w-140 in the back. I bought 2 bottles of the 140, and 1 of the 90. Seems many people are recommending that combo and it is what came as the suggestion from the Royal Purple site. I'll see how it goes and hopefully it is fine My plan is to follow some of the direction from some of the members that said to fill the rear with the 75w-140, and put the 75w-90 in the front along with some of the remainder of the 75w-140, as it was mentioned I would likely have some of that left over.

Quick question, when you guys are mentioning the flex pouches, what exactly are you talking about?

Also, any recommendations on filter brands for the oil? I have access to a castrol filter and a fram ultra.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I'm going to try the 75w-90 up front, and the 75w-140 in the back. I bought 2 bottles of the 140, and 1 of the 90. Seems many people are recommending that combo and it is what came as the suggestion from the Royal Purple site. I'll see how it goes and hopefully it is fine My plan is to follow some of the direction from some of the members that said to fill the rear with the 75w-140, and put the 75w-90 in the front along with some of the remainder of the 75w-140, as it was mentioned I would likely have some of that left over.

Quick question, when you guys are mentioning the flex pouches, what exactly are you talking about?

Also, any recommendations on filter brands for the oil? I have access to a castrol filter and a fram ultra.
They are one Quart Bags, they are not like a bottle hard plastic, they are very flexible and easy to squeeze by hand.
Jeep Wrangler JL Differential oil change 1623380526493

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are one Quart Bags, they are not like a bottle hard plastic, they are very flexible and easy to squeeze by hand.
Jeep Wrangler JL Differential oil change 1623380526493
For filters, I have had good luck with Fram Ultras also Mopar
Sponsored