Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

gregg3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Per my 2019 Owners Manual, It looks like you need 75w-140...

delete.JPG

delete2.JPG

No idea why the Limited Slip still calls for 75w-85 though.
Hello,
Thank you for all of the great info. I guess I am a bit confused as there seems to be a few different sources with different info. I have a 2018 JLU that has a Dana 186 in the front and a Dana 220 in the rear. What number lubricant would I need? Thank you!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hello,
Thank you for all of the great info. I guess I am a bit confused as there seems to be a few different sources with different info. I have a 2018 JLU that has a Dana 186 in the front and a Dana 220 in the rear. What number lubricant would I need? Thank you!
@gregg3g

Lots of good info on the forum regarding diff gear oil change. Search and read read...

Do read through this whole thread, especially..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/differential-oil-change.47318/

Best bet is to not buy Mopar branded gear oil, especially from the stealership as it is way overpriced. Do not buy the additive there either. Do not let them do the actual gear oil change either.

Do know though that both Valvoline and Royal Purple have the necessary additive in them....

For someone's JL that needs additive they can use those... if the JL does not not need additive then having the additive does no harm.

Anyway, just use Valvoline or Royal Purple on any stock JL/JLU (whether additive is needed or not) and you are aok.

As for gear oil weight to use.... you use Valvoline or Royal Purple 75w90 Syn. Gear Oil in the front and rear.

IF, if you are towing (have tow package) use Valvoline or Royal Purple 75w140 Syn. Gear Oil in the rear...

YES, you can use other/pricier gear oil...

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Wow this gets complicated. Just get Amsoil 75w140 front and rear and be done. 1.3 F 1.6 read. Drive then recheck. Easy peasy

Ostranza

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Anyone have issues keeping the yellow pipe tape on? Both my axles and transfer case plugs pushed it off. I'm guessing 2 layers was too thick?? I'm waiting for my Loctite PST 592 to show up and will probably back out the plugs halfway and put this on and retorque to spec....

Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Anyone have issues keeping the yellow pipe tape on? Both my axles and transfer case plugs pushed it off. I'm guessing 2 layers was too thick?? I'm waiting for my Loctite PST 592 to show up and will probably back out the plugs halfway and put this on and retorque to spec....
A mechanic I work with said to reverse thread the tape. So when you thread the plugs into the apparatus it will not "unwind" the tape, and obviously make sure its tight. No issues when I did my T-case.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
You resurrected Lazurus from the dead... :LOL: I always use the locktite Paste as well. good stuff.

Ostranza

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
A mechanic I work with said to reverse thread the tape. So when you thread the plugs into the apparatus it will not "unwind" the tape, and obviously make sure its tight. No issues when I did my T-case.
This is true and I did this. It didn't unravel on me but rather it just pushed right off the threads as a complete ring of Teflon tape. I'm wondering if it would have been better to clean with brake clean and stretch the tape more, tape is also probably 5plus years old but it did look good after tossing first inch or so of tail.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I use the cheap teflon tape from Autozone or whatever. Never a problem. I stretch it out tightly, 1 or maybe 2 layers. Stays on just fine. But I leave the first threads uncovered, so maybe that helps?
Sponsored