Sponsored

Differential oil change

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yes it does. It even says so in their advertising. I use only Amsoil. In my jlr.
@wolf

I do not believe they (Amsoil) make the blanket statement that all their gear oil offerings are as you think.
Sponsored

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
About to switch out F/R diff for first time. Been reading through the thread and want to make sure I've got this straight.

Front 75w90 - done, easy.
Rear... I've a got a jlu sport s with a M200 (D35) No towing package from factory but have added hitch and wiring going in soon for very occasional towing. I could probably run the same 75w90 for the rear, but leaning towards 75w140. Would only negative to this be maybe a small hit in mpg's?

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
check out what it says on their site below. Note that it states below the gear oil to add the mopar limited slip additive (ms-10111). This is what i used and bought the additive on amazon.
Jeep Wrangler JL Differential oil change amsoil.JPG

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About to switch out F/R diff for first time. Been reading through the thread and want to make sure I've got this straight.

Front 75w90 - done, easy.
Rear... I've a got a jlu sport s with a M200 (D35) No towing package from factory but have added hitch and wiring going in soon for very occasional towing. I could probably run the same 75w90 for the rear, but leaning towards 75w140. Would only negative to this be maybe a small hit in mpg's?
@lclaborn
Yes, slight hit on mileage. Hope you don't think you need to go with Amsoil.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking I'll go with Royal Purple. I like not needing the additive.
@lclaborn
I was a Royal Purple user. After using Valvoline FlexFills, I'm sold on them. Valvoline has additive too.
Read my earlier post about how to enjoy and save $ going with FlexFills.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@lclaborn
I was a Royal Purple user. After using Valvoline FlexFills, I'm sold on them. Valvoline has additive too.
Read my earlier post about how to enjoy and save $ going with FlexFills.
I recently potted my locker sensors, which required draining and opening the diffs. I went with Valvoline FlexFill, but wasn’t able to get enough of them. Seems there is a short supply of 75w90.

Anyway, here’s my tip: just save and reuse the FlexFill pouches. It’s very simple to just refill them from a regular Valvoline or Royal Purple plastic quart bottle. That’s what I did and it worked out fine.

Edit: I’m 100% with you on Amsoil. More expensive and needs an additive? No thanks.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
@Warz2k4

What you would use is 75W90 in both the front and the rear diffs.

IF, if your JL/JLU, has the tow package then use 75W90 in the front and 75/140 in the rear.

Use either Valvoline FlexFill pouches or Royal Purple as both have additive.... SO... you do not need to add any Mopar additive to them.

Read back through this whole thread for info that will help you buy/do the deed.

Personal preference when you want to do mileage wise... I did my first on my Rubi at 20,000 mi.. Some will say do sooner and some say wait for more mileage. Easy to do and very inexpensive to do so...
Out of curiosity, where does the 75W140 recommendation for tow package come from? I'm asking because I downloaded all 4 years of manuals (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021) and not a single one ever mentions 75W-140 for with tow package. The only mention of 75W-140 is for M200 rear axles.

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Jeff,
I asked the same question awhile back and got no definite answer. I think it's "Jeep owner guru secret knowledge".

I couldn't find it in any documentation either.

G.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeff,
I asked the same question awhile back and got no definite answer. I think it's "Jeep owner guru secret knowledge".

G.
That's part of why I was asking. In my old JK manual it does indeed mention using 75W-140 with trailer towing, but the Gladiator and JL manuals make no such mention. I'm planning on using 75W-90 unless someone can show me written proof.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeff,

G.
@garyji

No actually just some pretty basic info that apparently you are not aware of... :LOL:

Attachments

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, jusrt pretty basic knowledge..

@garyji

No actually just some pretty basic info that apparently you are not aware of... :LOL:
Thanks for sharing that. Out of curiosity is that from the factory service manual? Just curious since it doesn't line up at all with what the owners manual says. You'd think they're proofread this stuff and put the same info out everywhere
Sponsored