Sponsored

Differential oil change

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Remember you also need to use Yellow... again YELLOW color Teflon Tape on the drain and fill plugs.. Do not use white Teflon tape as oil will destroy it.
Based upon my experience as a pipe fitter in a previous life and everything I have read since states the only difference between white and yellow teflon tape is density--white is single and yellow is double which provides for greater ability to seal.

Yellow tape is typically used on pipes which flow compressed gases--natural, nitrogen, compressed air, etc (not oxygen) or liquid fuel lines. The use of yellow on those pipes has to do with its ability to seal and not because it does not degrade in oil.

Additionally, the size of the threads must be considered when choosing the tape:

3/8" or less - use white tape
1/2" to 2" - use yellow tape

On a differential drain plug that is only sealing against atmospheric pressure I cannot imagine that white tape would cause an issue.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Based upon my experience as a pipe fitter in a previous life and everything I have read since states the only difference between white and yellow teflon tape is density--white is single and yellow is double which provides for greater ability to seal.

Yellow tape is typically used on pipes which flow compressed gases--natural, nitrogen, compressed air, etc (not oxygen) or liquid fuel lines. The use of yellow on those pipes has to do with its ability to seal and not because it does not degrade in oil.

Additionally, the size of the threads must be considered when choosing the tape:

3/8" or less - use white tape
1/2" to 2" - use yellow tape

On a differential drain plug that is only sealing against atmospheric pressure I cannot imagine that white tape would cause an issue.
Sure, using white Teflon for the diff plugs will probably be aok... You could probably go without tape altogether.... BUT, when I pass on info, teach lets say, I go by the book, lets say... After that if a guy wants to stray and do it differently, so be it.

Anyway, recommended by the masses for use with petroleum products is Yellow.... I'll save my White Teflon tape for water pipes.... And yes, there are different width tapes you can buy.

In the end to each his own.. but why not use the yellow .....

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Sure, using white Teflon for the diff plugs will probably be aok... You could probably go without tape altogether.... BUT, when I pass on info, teach lets say, I go by the book, lets say... After that if a guy wants to stray and do it differently, so be it.

Anyway, recommended by the masses for use with petroleum products is Yellow.... I'll save my White Teflon tape for water pipes.... And yes, there are different width tapes you can buy.

In the end to each his own.. but why not use the yellow .....
I have not seen white tape degrade in the presence of oil--ever. Both white and yellow tape have the same composition and amount of Teflon in them, the only difference is density. I am simply pointing out that white tape will not dissolve in oil as was suggested.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
When doing my auxiliary fuel tank, I didn't have yellow tape, and didn't want to use white. I did have some ptfe putty that works for fuel, water, or anything really. It's always wet and does a good job for various threads.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Might be a stupid question, but how much does the rear diff hold. I looked everywhere in the manual and can't seem to find quantity. Parts guy at dealer wasn't much help. 1qt plus modifier, I do have the trac/lock LSD and trailer tow package.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might be a stupid question, but how much does the rear diff hold. I looked everywhere in the manual and can't seem to find quantity. Parts guy at dealer wasn't much help. 1qt plus modifier, I do have the trac/lock LSD and trailer tow package.
@Wkaz

For these diffs --- >Dana 44 M220 (Rear) 1.5 qts. and Dana 44 M210 (Front) 1.2 qts.. Yours will be similar.

Do not bother buying the additive! Just buy gear oil that has additive already in it. AND, do buy FlexFill pouches... so easy with them.

This post I made is taylor made for you and your JL with Tow package.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/differential-oil-change.47318/post-1405475

Actually, a long with that post read that whole thread.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
@Wkaz

For these diffs --- >Dana 44 M220 (Rear) 1.5 qts. and Dana 44 M210 (Front) 1.2 qts.. Yours will be similar.

Do not bother buying the additive! Just buy gear oil that has additive already in it. AND, do buy FlexFill pouches... so easy with them.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/differential-oil-change.47318/post-1405475

Thankyou

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
@Wkaz

Hi,
Would you be able to tell me which rear diff oil, I would need ?

2020 Sahara with anti spin differential.
Think I should change them at 5800 miles?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,
Would you be able to tell me which rear diff oil, I would need ?

2020 Sahara with anti spin differential.
Think I should change them at 5800 miles?
@Warz2k4

ON EDIT - Read here - Important - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/differential-oil-change.47318/post-2164230

What you would use is 75W90 in both the front and the rear diffs.

IF, if your JL/JLU, has the tow package then use 75W90 in the front and 75/140 in the rear.

Use either Valvoline FlexFill pouches or Royal Purple as both have additive.... SO... you do not need to add any Mopar additive to them.

Read back through this whole thread for info that will help you buy/do the deed.

Personal preference when you want to do mileage wise... I did my first on my Rubi at 20,000 mi.. Some will say do sooner and some say wait for more mileage. Easy to do and very inexpensive to do so...

Last edited:

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
@Warz2k4

What you would use is 75W90 in both the front and the rear diffs.

IF, if your JL/JLU, has the tow package then use 75W90 in the front and 75/140 in the rear.

Use either Valvoline FlexFill pouches or Royal Purple as both have additive.... SO... you do not need to add any Mopar additive to them.

Read back through this whole thread for info that will help you buy/do the deed.

Personal preference when you want to do mileage wise... I did my first on my Rubi at 20,000 mi.. Some will say do sooner and some say wait for more mileage. Easy to do and very inexpensive to do so...
Thanks for your response. I did read through the thread - however I was unsure of my axles, because I have the anti-spin differential. I do not have the tow-package.

Honestly, if it's that easy to do, I might just change the differential oils and won't touch it until 30k mileage.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your response. I did read through the thread - however I was unsure of my axles, because I have the anti-spin differential. I do not have the tow-package.

Honestly, if it's that easy to do, I might just change the differential oils and won't touch it until 30k mileage.
@Warz2k4

Very easy it is... and I mean very very easy for most anyone.. Especially if you use the FlexFill pouches.. otherwise you have to buy/use/clean up a pump.

Be sure you use the Valvoline or Royal purple... they both have additive.... Whether you need or do not need additive in the gear oil, both are good choices in regard to gear oil. If you setup needs the additive you have it.. if your setup does not need additive, the additive it is still fine to have in the gear oil you use.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9:18 mark, just place the bottle over the tie rod and angle it into the top fill hole.
@Mikester86

Yeah using the Royal Purple soft bottles is better then using a pump... but, Pure JOY, so to speak is using the Valvoline FlexFil pouches... Use those pouches and forever forward, you will be using FlexFil pouches..
YUP, they are that terrific.

Safe the used FlexFill as you can reuse them, say if you cannot futre gear oil in Flexfills.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@Mikester86

Yeah using the Royal Purple soft bottles is better then using a pump... but, Pure JOY, so to speak is using the Valvoline FlexFil pouches... Use those pouches and forever forward, you will be using FlexFil pouches..
YUP, they are that terrific.

Safe the used FlexFill as you can reuse them, say if you cannot futre gear oil in Flexfills.
75w90 FlexFill is currently hard to find, but I scored some at Walmart this morning for $12.97 per quart - I got the last 2 at my local store. The 75w140 is easier to find (Amazon has it).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I used the white teflon tape. No leaks or even seepage. But then again, I never used any before on my JK or JL and never had leaks or seepage then, either.
Sponsored