limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm going to try the 75w-90 up front, and the 75w-140 in the back. I bought 2 bottles of the 140, and 1 of the 90. Seems many people are recommending that combo and it is what came as the suggestion from the Royal Purple site. I'll see how it goes and hopefully it is fine My plan is to follow some of the direction from some of the members that said to fill the rear with the 75w-140, and put the 75w-90 in the front along with some of the remainder of the 75w-140, as it was mentioned I would likely have some of that left over.

Quick question, when you guys are mentioning the flex pouches, what exactly are you talking about?

Also, any recommendations on filter brands for the oil? I have access to a castrol filter and a fram ultra.
Since you already bought the bottles, you can get some 3/8'' tubing (I like the clear stuff) from a hardware store to put on the nipple of your quart bottles. Works pretty easy this way with little mess. I agree, the pouches are very easy, but since I prefer Royal Purple, I use the tubing trick.

For oil filters, I'm a fan of Mobil 1 filters.
Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
For filters, I have had good luck with Fram Ultras also Mopar
I watched a YouTube video awhile back about oil filters. The guy cut apart several new filters from different brands. I was surprised by the results. Wix had the most filter material and fram had the least. But the big surprise was the rust in the new fram filter And how the filter material fell apart. I’ll never buy a fram again. Please watch those videos and see for yourself.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I watched a YouTube video awhile back about oil filters. The guy cut apart several new filters from different brands. I was surprised by the results. Wix had the most filter material and fram had the least. But the big surprise was the rust in the new fram filter And how the filter material fell apart. I’ll never buy a fram again. Please watch those videos and see for yourself.
good to know, thanks

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
For you folks with the LSD. This unit (Trac Lok) has been problematic in the older JK’s. Keep an eye (or ear) out for it. The symptom of it going/gone bad is a clunk on acceleration. Make sure you do regular oil changes on the diff. And hope you can avoid replacing the unit. There’s a decent amount of JK guys who were religious about maintenance and still had this unit fail. About to put in a True Trac because mine failed and took and the spider gears. When I changed my fluid metal bits of spider gears came out.……and I’ve babied my Jeep.
Not trying to be alarmist here , just hoping to give a heads up. Hopefully this isn’t a problem for you all in the JL line.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I used Mobile one LS 75-90 front axel and 75-140 for rear, on My 2019 JLU sport (10700 miles).
I did go to my dealer and ordered the Mopar gear oil, but the problem was, the parts guy couldn't tell me, if I had LS on the rear, even when I gave him the vin.
So I went on the internet and found out that Mobile one makes 80% of OEM oils.
Changed both axels, the rear was black, so I talked to a shop owner, that I play Ice Hockey with and he said, the rear oil, should not be that black with only 10700 miles, unless you have LSD rear axel.
So how do I find out what rear I have, did they put a LSD, on my Jeep?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I used Mobile one LS 75-90 front axel and 75-140 for rear, on My 2019 JLU sport (10700 miles).
I did go to my dealer and ordered the Mopar gear oil, but the problem was, the parts guy couldn't tell me, if I had LS on the rear, even when I gave him the vin.
So I went on the internet and found out that Mobile one makes 80% of OEM oils.
Changed both axels, the rear was black, so I talked to a shop owner, that I play Ice Hockey with and he said, the rear oil, should not be that black with only 10700 miles, unless you have LSD rear axel.
So how do I find out what rear I have, did they put a LSD, on my Jeep?
@TJJL19

An easy way to tell what exactly your JLU left the factory with is to click on this link and when you get to to the next page, just go and add your VIN# to the URL and then hit enter.
Your Equipment List will tell you what all you have in your build.
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TJJL19

There really is no reason to get angst over this whole what to use fluid wise in the diff's..... and whether you need additive...

Use either Valvoline or Royal Purple as both have additive.... SO... you do not need to add any Mopar additive to either one of them. ......... AND, and if your diffs do not need additive there is absolutely no harm using fluid like Royal Purple or Valvoline that has additive... Royal Purple and Valvoline are very good gear oils...

Why pay crazy money to the stealership for Mopar fluids....additive....

Reactions: VNT

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I did my first change with Royal Purple 75-90 on the rear at 5k. I have the tow package, but rarely tow, and at most, a utility trailer. Mine's been perfect. The original was pretty black at 5 K so I'm glad I got it done.

G.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have ‘21 JLU Willys (m220 LSD & Tow Package) and just hit 5k miles. I wish there was a way to tell what fluid came in my Jeep from the factory. Per the linked bulletin, I would assume 75W-140, since I opted for the tow package. Anyone with the m220/LSD & tow package hearing the dreaded clunk or done an early fluid change and care to comment?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/jl_service_fluids_and_capacities-pdf.467799/
Likely not 75W-140, more likely 80/85W-90 based upon the UOAs I did on my Rubicon which has the towing package and should have been 75W-140, but it wasn't.
Sponsored