OP

coupedncal

First Name
CoupednCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at Jeeps
The biggest difference is tires. Otherwise they all drive a little different but one is not necessarily better than the other.

and compared to anything else they all drive like shit. I wouldn’t make on-road manners a criteria in your decision.
Points noted. You guys are absolutely correct on your assessment.

Question is what makes Sahara's drive more civil as others have stated? Are the shocks softer? Are the tires less aggressive?

And what is the on road personality of Sports/Sports S? Is it closer to Rubi in terms of shocks and springs or more closer to Sahara?
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Question is what makes Sahara's drive more civil as others have stated? Are the shocks softer? Are the tires less aggressive?

And what is the on road personality of Sports/Sports S? Is it closer to Rubi in terms of shocks and springs or more closer to Sahara?
The shocks and wheels are different but it’s mostly tires IMO.

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
The willy's edition looked mighty tempting except you can't get keyless entry unless you order the 4 grand half doors.
I locked the keys in my vehicle at a restaurant the night before I ordered my Wrangler.
My wife's 2019 Cherokee High Altitude has keyless and I love it.
So strange you can get that option on Sahara and Rubicon without the half doors.
Are you talking about proximity key? The Willys come standard with keyless entry. I wanted proximity key, but it doesn’t seem like you can get it on the Willys without the ridiculous half door package. You can get the remote/app unlock (guardian), but you have to get the 8.4 radio group.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
also, ive seen a few jlur around town who opted for a smoother quieter tire than the BFG. you can sell low mile bfg pretty quick in any jeep facebook group.

But, drive both!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Many things affect ride quality. But the Rubicon not only has larger tires, it has heavier tires, heavier axles and different springs and shocks. The difference in weight of the axles and tires will adversely affect ride quality as well.

Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Are you talking about proximity key? The Willys come standard with keyless entry.
Jeep’s site is very confusing if you don’t take a moment to compare features of each model, and then click “standard features.” I was under the same impression when I first started tinkering on the builder. This is in addition to the site having actual bugs such as adding and deleting groups/forcing options inaccurately. The Rubicon Gladiator didn’t even show sarge green as an option until last week and I’d seen one on my dealer lot. Anyway, Willys is a very nice trim for the price IMO.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Many things affect ride quality. But the Rubicon not only has larger tires, it has heavier tires, heavier axles and different springs and shocks. The difference in weight of the axles and tires will adversely affect ride quality as well.
^^^ this x 100!

My JKU Rubicon Recon came with super duper reinforced axles; that thing drove like a freaking tractor.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
Are you talking about proximity key? The Willys come standard with keyless entry. I wanted proximity key, but it doesn’t seem like you can get it on the Willys without the ridiculous half door package. You can get the remote/app unlock (guardian), but you have to get the 8.4 radio group.
The proximity key was what I meant. Plain keyless entry apparently means you can unlock with the fob, not just with the key.

It looks like the willys doesn't come with push button start so you'd need the fob out of your pocket to start it anyway.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The proximity key was what I meant. Plain keyless entry apparently means you can unlock with the fob, not just with the key.

It looks like the willys doesn't come with push button start so you'd need the fob out of your pocket to start it anyway.
They all come with push button start.

according to the order guide remote proximity keyless entry is available in the Willys. I wouldn’t take the online builder on face value. It is notoriously buggy. Ask your dealer.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
As far as on road ride comfort, I was pleasantly surprised when I first drove my Rubi compared to my former JK Altitude. Both have 33" tires. The Rubi (diesel) is quite a bit heavier than the JK, but even with the MT tires, I am still amazed that it rides just as good or maybe even better than the JK that had AT tires. I'll change out to AT tires when these are gone which should improve the ride even more.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The 18" wheels will corner better due to less side wall deflection, but will transfer bumps and potholes to the chassis more. The street tread will roll smoother than the all terrain on the Rubicon. The softer shocks will feel smoother on road, but the Rubicon shocks will perform better in the corners. It all comes down to preference. If you are talking better ride as in softer and smoother, the sport is actually best case as it has smaller rims than the Sahara, softer shocks and street biased tires compared to the Rubicon, and typically weighs the least. If you are talking better on road as far as some what aggressive driving the Sahara with less side wall and street tires, combined with firmer Rubicon shocks would be the best handling with factory parts. All that being said, dropping the pressure a bit in the Rubicon ko2's has it riding about as smooth as the Sahara on road by softening up the ride. The sport and Sahara have the same shocks but different sized wheels. The Rubicon has stiffer shocks and larger tires, but smaller wheels than the Sahara. If street performance is your main concern, I'd say Sahara for the luxury/creature comforts and street tires. Personally it's the last model I'd buy, as we tend to wheel ours pretty hard even though it is the wife's daily. For us the Rubicon was a no brainer as the cost between Sahara and Rubicon is virtually the same and we off road as much as possible. If the budget was tight, we'd have gone willys for the same reason.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
They all come with push button start.

according to the order guide remote proximity keyless entry is available in the Willys. I wouldn’t take the online builder on face value. It is notoriously buggy. Ask your dealer.
Thanks for the wise words on the jeep.com bugs. When doing a compare the willys states push button start is not available. Guess you can't believe everything you read.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for the wise words on the jeep.com bugs. When doing a compare the willys states push button start is not available. Guess you can't believe everything you read.
If a metal key ignition were available, I'd have bought all the parts and retrofitted my JLUR long ago.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Keyed ignition switches are available at every auto-parts store, not worth the effort but totally doable.
Yeah, but they won't work with a CANBUS BCM security system.
Sponsored