Difference in trims for on-road driving

coupedncal

First Name
CoupednCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at Jeeps
I am trying to figure out the difference in how the following three trims drive on general roads. My question is specific to on city and highway driving.

Assume all have standard default shocks and springs and tires.

Sport S.

Sahara. How much does sound deadening reduce road noise? And does 18 inch tires translate to smooth road feel?

Rubicon. Does M&S tires negatively impact on road driving? And are the shocks too aggressive for road driving?

Most of my driving will be on road with some weekends on overland trips etc. Trying to assess what to expect in how these drive on paved roads and highways.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
2 dr Rubicon with 33" KO2's. It rides fine on the highway. We test drove a 4dr Sahara and did not like it on the highway.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I occasionally off road in back woods with my stock Sahara and stock tires. I won’t climb tall rocks or any tree larger than a human leg. I’ve also never had a problem. This is why I didn’t opt for a Rubicon. I wanted a loaded Jeep with as many creature comforts as possible.
I also want some luxury and don’t want to be listening to my tires humming on the highway for the 99.9% of time I’m using the Jeep.
I know some Rubi people are gonna kill me for the tire comments but I’ve heard other peoples tires driving next to them.
To me Sahara is the best of all worlds.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Sahara is the road queen. Nice smooth ride. Rubicon is going to be bumpier and stiffer. Sport S.....idk.

Overkill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.camaroheaven.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon; 2018 JLU Sahara; 2002 TJ Sport; 2005 GMC 2500HD; 1969 Camaro (blue); 1969 Camaro (red); 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne K20
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Sahara is the road queen. Nice smooth ride. Rubicon is going to be bumpier and stiffer. Sport S.....idk.
My wife drives a 2018 Sahara and I drive a 2019 Rubicon. Both are factory with no lift and She comments all the time that mine is smoother on the road than hers. The only thing I can figure is that the Rubicon has better shocks and having an extra sidewall height from the rims being smaller and tires being taller on the Rubicon.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Before I bought my Sahara in 2018, I researched getting a Rubicon over a Sahara. I ultimately decided a Sahara, similar to Steve above. I read that Rubicons are a little less refined on the road than a Sahara. Probably due to the 18 inch wheels as opposed to 17 inch on the Rubicon. Ultimately its your preference and like someone already said, its going to be subjective, so test drive a few to get a feel for each. If you want more comfort, I would go with the Sahara.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
It depends on your driving preferences honestly. We test drove every JLU platform, mainly for drivetrain tests and we liked the ride on the Rubicon the best which was good because that’s what I was planning on buying anyway.
I have always owned BFG KO’s over the years those so that offers a familiar ride to me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As others suggest: test drive them.

I test drove a dozen Rubicons and Saharas before buying. This was back when JLs had all sorts of steering issues. Sahara won in my test sample.

Keep in mind Rubicon comes with ATs or MTs; ATs are going to ride more smoothly and offer safer, more predictable handling on-road and in wet/cold weather.

Also, you can add a rear LSD to Sahara and Sport. Unlike lockers, which can only be used in very specific off-road conditions, LSD adds traction ALL the time, in every driving condition, on any road surface, in any type of weather, in 2WD or 4WD.

I got a Sahara with Selec-Trac and LSD: I’m super happy with it.

Good luck.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I am trying to figure out the difference in how the following three trims drive on general roads. My question is specific to on city and highway driving.

Assume all have standard default shocks and springs and tires.

Sport S.

Sahara. How much does sound deadening reduce road noise? And does 18 inch tires translate to smooth road feel?

Rubicon. Does M&S tires negatively impact on road driving? And are the shocks too aggressive for road driving?

Most of my driving will be on road with some weekends on overland trips etc. Trying to assess what to expect in how these drive on paved roads and highways.
I think the difference in ride quality on-road, between the various trim levels, will be small, but the difference in soft soil capability of the Rubicon vs the others, will be bigger than visual difference of the two different types of tires would suggest.

Also, the extra few inches of ground clearance the Rubicon offers will clear higher objects with more confidence and ease. You're buying a Jeep for its off-road capability. If you don't plan on using it for off-roading, there are many better choices. A Jeep isn't as good on-road as many other multi-purpose vehicles which may have independent front suspension and rack and pinion steering, more insulation, better door seals, better aerodynamics and lower wind noise. A Jeep isn't as refined an on-road vehicle as other SUVs. But it has redeeming off-road capabilities. My approach was "in for a nickel, in for a dollar" . I went with a Rubicon and have never considered any other trim level.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I think the difference in ride quality on-road, between the various trim levels, will be small, but the difference in soft soil capability of the Rubicon vs the others, will be bigger than visual difference of the two different types of tires would suggest.

Also, the extra few inches of ground clearance the Rubicon offers will clear higher objects with more confidence and ease. You're buying a Jeep for its off-road capability. If you don't plan on using it for off-roading, there are many better choices. A Jeep isn't as good on-road as many other multi-purpose vehicles which may have independent front suspension and rack and pinion steering, more insulation, better door seals, better aerodynamics and lower wind noise. A Jeep isn't as refined an on-road vehicle as other SUVs. But it has redeeming off-road capabilities. My approach was "in for a nickel, in for a dollar" . I went with a Rubicon and have never considered any other trim level.
This post is 100% on the money. You can definitely get a nicer riding SUV but the one thing RCP left out above is the transforming a Jeep does. That to me is the number one thing I love about our Jeeps. You open that roof and pull those doors on a 75 degree spring day, man I never want the ride to end. For that I'll tolerate the road noise, wind noise, less security etc.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Do yourself a huge favor and RENT a Jeep for a couple weeks. Drive it as you’ll drive your our. IF you love it you’re a Jeep person. If it starts to “wear” on you, perhaps another SUV would better fit your needs. All JL’s are far more capable then most of their drivers, NONE are “quiet, smooth, or luxurious”. Lots of folks buy new (sometimes pimped out) Wranglers for the “look” only to discover the Jeep really doesn’t suit their lifestyle (got 2 neighbors that have done it). If you love ‘em they’re great, if you don’t the noise, handling, ride and fuel usage will soon take the shine off the Apple.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
The willy's edition looked mighty tempting except you can't get keyless entry unless you order the 4 grand half doors.
I locked the keys in my vehicle at a restaurant the night before I ordered my Wrangler.
My wife's 2019 Cherokee High Altitude has keyless and I love it.
So strange you can get that option on Sahara and Rubicon without the half doors.

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The willy's edition looked mighty tempting except you can't get keyless entry unless you order the 4 grand half doors.
I locked the keys in my vehicle at a restaurant the night before I ordered my Wrangler.
My wife's 2019 Cherokee High Altitude has keyless and I love it.
So strange you can get that option on Sahara and Rubicon without the half doors.
Someone told me that might be a website error. Makes no sense that keyless entry would only be available with the overpriced half doors.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The biggest difference is tires. Otherwise they all drive a little different but one is not necessarily better than the other.

and compared to anything else they all drive like shit. I wouldn’t make on-road manners a criteria in your decision.
Sponsored