Sponsored

Digital gas gauge vs. traditional needle gauge -- difference between trims/models?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I honestly didn't know any JL/JTs had the analog gauge lol. I liked the analog better but have since come to terms with it and use it just fine. I even noticed it in the Renegade I tried a few times and figured it was like the on the whole Jeep fleet. Guess it's the upgraded screen as stated above, kinda funny.
Sponsored

richardiaboni

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler unlimited sport S
I have a 2022 Sport S with the 7ā€ radio and I have the gas gauge that has a needle.

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
It definitely used to be part of the infotainment package as I had the needle on my Willys Sport and had the 5ā€ Uconnect.

That said, for supply chain reasons alone, things may be different now.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Iā€™ve always liked the needle and dial for my gauges, however starting with my ā€˜17 Ram Laramie and now with my Rubicon I find that I much prefer the digital speedometer. I also like that I can add things to the cluster as well, or on to the infotainment screen.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
All new Jeeps are the same. One Jeep uses a physical needle attached to a stepper motor. The others, use a screen with a virtual needle. Both report the same information as it gets it through the CANBUS. Thus you can use a scanner like JScan and see the percentage of fuel that is being reported to the instrument cluster. Right now I have not seen a channel that reports how many liters are in the tank (maybe someone else has and that would be nice to see). Other cars will report the amount of fuel left on the instrument cluster (i.e. my VW does this).

I'd rather see a number as opposed to a needle. I come from a motorsports background and that's the way it's been done for the last 30 years I've been doing data.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
I have a 2022 Sport S with the 7ā€ radio and I have the gas gauge that has a needle.
The 7" radio used to be part of the Tech Pkg.
It became standard equipment in 2022. So starting in '22 you could have the 7" radio with the needle gauges.
Sponsored