Died on the Interstate

Dragon52

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
On Saturday while travelling from Seattle to the Reno area for some bird hunting with my dogs. After about 10 hours of totally normal driving, I was almost at the California border on a long elevation change when my engine just dies. No indication, no noise, no power, no steering, no brakes, nothing mechanical but the dash was still lit. A guy stopped to pull me up to the last exit before the California border. Had a helluvatime getting the transmission into neutral and the transfer case into neutral, but eventually succeeded. I tried priming several times, but it would only have normal rpms for a few seconds. If I tried to start again there a series of rapid clicks and then it shut off. My tow buddy and I checked several fuses and found none blown. Had it towed to a dealership in Medford OR. Now i am in a long cue of vehicles waiting service as they seem to be shorthanded. Do the symptoms sound familiar to anyone? One more clue. When I was priming my tow buddy said it sounded like the fuel system was operating normally. When I tried to start it was anything but normal. I have almost 25k miles on the odometer and have had no trouble with the JL unlimited Rubicon since I picked the vehicle up in April 2020.
Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Have never heard or experienced this, but will be following the thread and hoping you can get it fixed soon.

Maybe @JeepCares can help you out with the queue?

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
No idea about the engine problem, but I can save you some bother on the next tow. It’s not necessary (or desirable even) to put the trans in neutral. Just put the transfer case in N and tow away.

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Yes it was diesel. Had just filled up about 100 miles prior at a reputable station.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
On Saturday while travelling from Seattle to the Reno area for some bird hunting with my dogs. After about 10 hours of totally normal driving, I was almost at the California border on a long elevation change when my engine just dies. No indication, no noise, no power, no steering, no brakes, nothing mechanical but the dash was still lit. A guy stopped to pull me up to the last exit before the California border. Had a helluvatime getting the transmission into neutral and the transfer case into neutral, but eventually succeeded. I tried priming several times, but it would only have normal rpms for a few seconds. If I tried to start again there a series of rapid clicks and then it shut off. My tow buddy and I checked several fuses and found none blown. Had it towed to a dealership in Medford OR. Now i am in a long cue of vehicles waiting service as they seem to be shorthanded. Do the symptoms sound familiar to anyone? One more clue. When I was priming my tow buddy said it sounded like the fuel system was operating normally. When I tried to start it was anything but normal. I have almost 25k miles on the odometer and have had no trouble with the JL unlimited Rubicon since I picked the vehicle up in April 2020.
Welcome to the electrical problems club. My 2020 JLUR had similar issues that could not be tracked down to any one source or cause. Not true, but that was the official word from Jeep. Needless to say I now have a 2021 JLUR ;) it has been flawless after all the fuses where properly seated before it left the dealership lot.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Battery voltage check and load test would be a good item to check along with the cables.

Also, diesel engines don't react well to water in fuel or clogged fuel filters.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I would suspect bad fuel with the fill up just before it happened.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Right on flat towing, trans in park, transfer case in neutral.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Well, we can eliminate the coil, spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Seriously, if it is not bad fuel or a clogged fuel filter, check both batteries. They are a possible cause.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
OP, if I understand you correctly, you were able to restart the Jeep after it happened, but it only ran for a few seconds at a time.

If that is so, I think we can eliminate a bad battery.

Did you get your check engine light on and pulled the codes?

If your check engine light did not turn on, I'm inclined to think fuel system issues, but most of them would also throw codes.

Good luck having it fixed.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
While at Lithia in Medford keep one hand on your wallet at all times! Sorry to inform, but they don’t have a very good reputation here.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
There is a wire harness on the diesel that seems to rest on the exhaust. It’s located near the front of the exhaust system (resting on the down pipe if I remember correctly). Don’t know what symptoms it would cause if it melts, I just know it seems to be a common issue. Mine was stuck to the exhaust with only 400 miles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Died on the Interstate A522E991-16AB-4959-97EC-C4D258464266
Jeep Wrangler JL Died on the Interstate B398D093-BEEE-4479-9D5A-F5F2AF114CC6

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.
There is a wire harness on the diesel that seems to rest on the exhaust. It’s located near the front of the exhaust system (resting on the down pipe if I remember correctly). Don’t know what symptoms it would cause if it melts, I just know it seems to be a common issue. Mine was stuck to the exhaust with only 400 miles.
Curious if this is on a Wrangler or your G.C?