What the consensus on the diesel?

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Consensus…. They are Soooo last century or belong in a farm vehicle or big rig. Add the price of diesel these days and the fact that even the fuel economy doesn’t come close to an economy and there’s no wonder why they’re being flushed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If I couldn't get the diesel it would be the 392 or nothing. I would still choose the diesel over the 392 though if they would continue to make it.
I would not get the 3.6, 2.0, or 4xE model, but that's just me. After this Jeep, it may be my last depending on their direction of engines. If they continue down the hybrid/electric route as only options them I'm out.
I agree with you, but by the time Jeep is 100% EV/hybrid so will every other manufacturer. We'll get on board or start pedaling.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
I agree with you, but by the time Jeep is 100% EV/hybrid so will every other manufacturer. We'll get on board or start pedaling.
I understand why some people don't want to put up with some of the current EV limitations. But man, when it comes to less maintenance, almost nothing that can break, and the acceleration, sign me up. The future of EV is bright indeed. My wife drives the boring Chevy Bolt and it's a fun little car to drive.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I just did an oil change and was able to find the factory filter for $49 and the mopar oil for $9 a quart. Did a google search to find it. Still expensive but not astronomical.

Pennzoil Euro from Amazon.
8 $/qt.

If you had to order a new Jeep today and couldn’t get the diesel what would you order?

So the diesel was new, had problems, and now it will never be improved. Not great Tim.
The JL has the third generation of the 3.0. it wasn't new when it made it to the JL in 2020.

Add the price of diesel these days and the fact that even the fuel economy doesn’t come close to an economy and there’s no wonder why they’re being flushed.
Ugh. Not long ago diesel and petrol was equivalently priced. Prices has diverged and converged many times. The sky isn't falling.

chart.png

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I don't understand the DEF complaints. I thought wow this is going to suck, stuck the nozzle on put in the def portal, it drank it down in a couple moments. No mess, no spills, no issues. Unless you have a hard time lifting the 10 pound box or something!

Deleted member 59498

The JL Diesel will follow the Jeep LJ and the Toyota FJ in the future and become gems that were only offered for a brief period. If you have one, you are now a proud owner of a future gem.
Man those FJs sure kept their value, I was looking a month or so ago, very few for sale and when they are $$$$

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand the DEF complaints. I thought wow this is going to suck, stuck the nozzle on put in the def portal, it drank it down in a couple moments. No mess, no spills, no issues. Unless you have a hard time lifting the 10 pound box or something!
If you're logical, DEF is not an issue.

You're expect people to be bitching up a storm having to put gas in every 300 miles or so. But, for some reason no one seems to complain about fuel even though it's required much more frequently.

Give a man an axe and he'll find something to grind on it.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

My wife and I did five hour long drive today consisting of rolling hills, steep heavy grades up and down hill, with an hour of that being in gridlock stop and go freeway traffic. We averaged 23 mpg on heavy 35’s/beadlocks, armor and a full cargo hold of luggage. On a particularly long, steep grade at 67 mph sustained I saw the oil temp peak at 238*. I just made sure I kept an eye on temps as needed. I’ll say this, we’ve made this same drive in my wife’s Platinum trim Explorer and while her car is a nicer ride for obvious reasons, the JLURD was great. The 3.0 has plenty of power for passing, climbing, and the engine braking combined with the 8 speed auto is awesome on descents.

So far I’m loving the diesel. We normally would’ve filled up on the way if taking the Explorer. The Jeep made the entire drive and used half a tank.

Sponsored

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I've noticed that the cruise control waits too long when you start up a hill. It usually drops 2-3 MPH (up to 5) before it kicks in the throttle. But at that point it's kicking the throttle hard and that's why the trans drops a gear.

It's fine on flat roads but in rolling hills it's constantly gunning the throttle. What's worse is that it holds the throttle too long when you crest the hill and it picks up too much speed. So the cruise control kicks in the brakes to hold speed. So you're constantly hitting the gas and the brake and your mileage goes in the toilet.

If I had to guess I'd say they didn't bother to tune the JL cruise control from the gas engine Jeeps when they put in the diesel. Either that or they used the stock Ram diesel programming.
That is my exact experience and concensus.

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Yeah but…now it’s discontinued. So the diesel was new, had problems, and now it will never be improved. Not great Tim.
I thought it was still available in the JT? I also think it is still available in many overseas vehicles where emissions are not as strict.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
I thought it was still available in the JT? I also think it is still available in many overseas vehicles where emissions are not as strict.
It's been discontinued in the JL and Ram. I doubt it lives on much longer in the JT.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
2L Turbo.

Question for the happy diesel owners in the thread.

If you had to order a new Jeep today and couldn’t get the diesel what would you order? I had a 2019 3.6 that was great and I’d do a diesel in the spring if I can still find a new one but assuming I don’t I’m thinking the 2.0T next.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Question for the happy diesel owners in the thread.

If you had to order a new Jeep today and couldn’t get the diesel what would you order? I had a 2019 3.6 that was great and I’d do a diesel in the spring if I can still find a new one but assuming I don’t I’m thinking the 2.0T next.
I guess I'd be driving a GMC 2500, not having a diesel is not in the current equation. I love diesels that much.
Sponsored