Did Our Bubble Burst?

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr Sport S
wife is looking to get out of her Q5 and is all over the place with what she wants. from a Sahara to Outer Banks Bronco to X3 to 330i. checked out Volvo and Mercedes as well. of the 5 dealers we have visited in the last two weeks, only Jeep had stock. well, and Volvo had a few new options but everyone else was either waiting on inventory or said to order what you want.

my local Jeep dealer is discounting Wranglers now. and they have a ton on the lot. I have no plans to get rid of my JL, but i'm assuming the value is not where I expected it to be. I'm aware of the refresh coming on the 24's but we are a ways away from them. Did Wrangler sales drop off that much?
Sponsored

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
wife is looking to get out of her Q5 and is all over the place with what she wants. from a Sahara to Outer Banks Bronco to X3 to 330i. checked out Volvo and Mercedes as well. of the 5 dealers we have visited in the last two weeks, only Jeep had stock. well, and Volvo had a few new options but everyone else was either waiting on inventory or said to order what you want.

my local Jeep dealer is discounting Wranglers now. and they have a ton on the lot. I have no plans to get rid of my JL, but i'm assuming the value is not where I expected it to be. I'm aware of the refresh coming on the 24's but we are a ways away from them. Did Wrangler sales drop off that much?
What's the name of the Jeep dealership that has a bunch on the lot. I would prefer a 2023 over a 2024.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
As said, interest rates, inflation, no one needs a Wrangler like they do family cars or trucks, Jeep is putting as many '23s as possible into inventory so they can get a good head start on 2024s.

Speaking of 2024s, there will be updates and changes to it so many people are holding out for that.

Just from experience, I would avoid the Euro luxury brands unless you are leasing. They are fantastically expense to maintain and repair. Spend $60k on a mid size Mercedes/BMW/Volvo cookie cutter CUV and $60K on a Wrangler. Look at what your resale value will be in 5 years or more. That makes the choice easy. Especially with the Volvo, man those things take a beating in resale price. Plus, since the ChiComs took over, not the car they used to be.

Sponsored

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
interest rates, the 24's coming out (BUT 95% of people still have no clue on the 24's) but above all Jeep has really priced its self into a corner. Right now I'm seeing JLUR's loaded up, going for $ 70K PLUS!!!!! three years ago that got you a loaded 392!!!!!

Oh yeah and the rest... The economy is JACKED and I'm not picking sides cause both sides do NOT care about any of us. Oh and then lets have the US default... so yeah I'm sure a GOOOOD portion of people are just sitting on the side lines right now just hopeing to survive.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

As others have said, there are lots of factors:
  • Interest rates going up cause sales to go down
  • Jeep pricing. There were several price increases throughout 2021 and 2022. The same Jeep with the same options in 2023 vs 2021 is several thousand $$ more expensive.
  • 2023 was a spectacularly short model year run, and 2022 inventory was constrained. So you likely had dealers place a lot of 2023 orders (cause inventory opened up and rates hadn't risen too much yet) and by the time those orders were delivered, you have high interest rates, the end of the model year, AND the announcement of the 2024 refresh all within a short time frame
I think if you wanted a 2023, now's probably the best time to get one - heavy inventory, dealer motivation, and you can always refinance pretty easily if/when rates drop.

Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
People keep talking about interest rates, etc.... that doesn't make sense. The question being posed is "other vehicles are not available on the lots and you have to order, so why are Wranglers so available right now?"

The answer, I believe, is "yes, Wrangler sales are dropping that much."

Also, some people have noted that it seems to be a LOT of 4XEs clogging up the lots. That makes me wonder how many of the 4XE orders from Jeep are customer orders vs. dealership orders. Dealerships who get tax breaks for a certain % of their lot and sales being PHEV...

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
interest rates, the 24's coming out (BUT 95% of people still have no clue on the 24's) but above all Jeep has really priced its self into a corner. Right now I'm seeing JLUR's loaded up, going for $ 70K PLUS!!!!! three years ago that got you a loaded 392!!!!!

Oh yeah and the rest... The economy is JACKED and I'm not picking sides cause both sides do NOT care about any of us. Oh and then lets have the US default... so yeah I'm sure a GOOOOD portion of people are just sitting on the side lines right now just hopeing to survive.
Iā€™m less offended by $70k for a JLUR than I am by $50K for a 2dr SportSā€¦

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Helfman Dodge in Houston
I've been in that place a couple of times over the past 8 months....they can't sell Jeeps because they have been doing their best to get customers off their lots due to their pricing. So we all left.....

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Rebates and big discounts are comingā€¦Jeep has become a low value play. I like my Jeep but luxury pricing with mediocre quality and service is catching up with them. Anyone looking right now should hold off for six monthsā€¦.better deals aheadā€¦

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)

Man that is a seriously broad group of vehicles running from one extreme to another. Strongly suggest she Seriously drive what sheā€™s interested in a good bit before spending the $$$. Most BMW, Volvoor Mercedes buyers wouldnā€™t touch a Jeep with a stickšŸ˜³. Be SURE mommaā€™s happy with the choice she makes or youā€™ll be trading in a few months and loose $$$. A lot of folks like the ā€œlookā€ of a Jeep but hate living with one day in, day out. (Hence those low mileage current model year jobs haunting the used care lots for other brands). If she really thinks a Jeep is for her, rent one and let her live with it for a couple weeks-money well spent if she decides itā€™s not for her..
Sponsored