Sponsored

DEF Usage

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Yeah, he said at best he gets 21mpg, so I used that number to calculate out his DEF use. So, if I used say 19 or 20mpg, then his DEF use would be less than 3%. Which would really put him in the “normal” range.
Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Yeah, he said at best he gets 21mpg, so I used that number to calculate out his DEF use. So, if I used say 19 or 20mpg, then his DEF use would be less than 3%. Which would really put him in the “normal” range.
10-4

I was thinking of it backwards.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
FCA projects 1960mpg for the DEF. He quoted a 20-25% reduction in fuel efficiency compared to the EPA average and you’re calculating that a 60+% reduction in DEF range is expected? Looks more than a little discordant with the fuel use to me.

AppleJacks23

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Human Resources
Vehicle Showcase
Adding fuel to the fire here. Just refilled my def tank for a 2nd time and just under 7k miles. Did just pull a small trailer on the highway for 1200ish miles. Mostly highway driving (for now :) )

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
FCA projects 1960mpg for the DEF. He quoted a 20-25% reduction in fuel efficiency compared to the EPA average and you’re calculating that a 60+% reduction in DEF range is expected? Looks more than a little discordant with the fuel use to me.
Where did you see/read that the diesel is supposed to get 1960mpg of DEF? That’s an outrageous number. FCA needs to be sued if they ever claimed that number. You’d have to be getting 40+ mpg of diesel use for that to be remotely possible. DEF usage is based off of fuel usage and every place I can find a number, it’s saying 2-3%.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/MB10033.pdf

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you see/read that the diesel is supposed to get 1960mpg of DEF? That’s an outrageous number. FCA needs to be sued if they ever claimed that number. You’d have to be getting 40+ mpg of diesel use for that to be remotely possible. DEF usage is based off of fuel usage and every place I can find a number, it’s saying 2-3%.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/MB10033.pdf
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...orque-for-improved-performance-300954925.html

The 10,000-mile OCI and DEF range was quoted in most of the FCA-sourced press releases when the 3.0 wrangler was unveiled. It’s the basis for more than a few discussions of this topic on the forum.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...orque-for-improved-performance-300954925.html

The 10,000-mile OCI and DEF range was quoted in most of the FCA-sourced press releases when the 3.0 wrangler was unveiled. It’s the basis for more than a few discussions of this topic on the forum.
Wow.....my wife’s diesel Touareg couldn’t go 10,000 miles on 5.2 gal of DEF even with its “illegal” factory tune on it. And that thing consistently got > 30mpg. FCA is totally in the wrong with that statement.

JL3rubi

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Barracuda, 2020 Road Glide Special
Occupation
Technology Sales
Ok, I've said this before and I'll say it again......your DEF usage is a percentage of your fuel usage. You have to keep track of your actual fuel use/MPG and your actual DEF use over the same exact period of miles and calculate it out.

JL3rubi....I did this calculation for you since you haven't. If you averaged 21mpg over the 3200 miles and used 4.6 gal of DEF........you are using DEF at a 3% rate and around 700mpg of DEF.....this is NORMAL. You may be down on power and a dyno is the only way to prove that.
I did not know of this formula actually, it's super helpful and explains a lot. I appreciate you reiterating it. I'll keep ya posted if I just expected too much from a power perspective once I shove this pig on the dynojet. Just to be clear, it's not gutless, I just expected it to blow my mind with 440 lb tq. I am a total power whore, not that I ever thought a Jeep would ever satisfy that and still come with a warranty. I do still love the platform, and it otherwise is a killer ride. The 392 for sure would put a huge smile on my face from a power perspective, and have a warranty. But it's pretty limited production I found out. Appears only 4 per dealer will be available and most are spoken for. I'll need to wait, and am fine doing that. Thanks again for the formula Gorilla57!

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Willys 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth, I had high DEF usage on my 2020 GMC 2500HD. When I took it in and complained, the dealer did some research and found a service bulletin about the issue. They readjusted the computer and claimed I would do better on the DEF usage. Haven't driven it enough to know yet but hoping for the best.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I did not know of this formula actually, it's super helpful and explains a lot. I appreciate you reiterating it. I'll keep ya posted if I just expected too much from a power perspective once I shove this pig on the dynojet. Just to be clear, it's not gutless, I just expected it to blow my mind with 440 lb tq. I am a total power whore, not that I ever thought a Jeep would ever satisfy that and still come with a warranty. I do still love the platform, and it otherwise is a killer ride. The 392 for sure would put a huge smile on my face from a power perspective, and have a warranty. But it's pretty limited production I found out. Appears only 4 per dealer will be available and most are spoken for. I'll need to wait, and am fine doing that. Thanks again for the formula Gorilla57!
I’ve kept track of my 3.0 1500 and spot on for 2.6% usage in the 8k miles I’ve put on it. So, I’m guessing you are pretty close to that. Keep an eye on usage and if it goes up, you’ve got grounds for Jeep to look into it. I’ve got 480lb-ft and trust me, it doesn’t blow my mind either. I wished it did, but I’m fine with it. Damn torque management on these motors just makes them feel like a lame duck sometimes.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Damn torque management on these motors just makes them feel like a lame duck sometimes.
My gripe as well. But...it's a huge improvement over the Pentastar.

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I have got only about 1k miles on my DJLUR
But according to my dash screen, the DEF level havent moved an inch since i bought it?
Is this normal?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But according to my dash screen, the DEF level havent moved an inch since i bought it?
Is this normal?
You might have gotten a rare actually full DEF tank at delivery...fill it to the neck and it won’t move for at least that number of miles.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Is this normal?
I filled mine up a thousand miles ago and I'm sitting at 15/16 according to the gauge.
Sponsored