DEF Usage

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Insured against bank fraud and an unauthorized charges, Again if yo are skeptical use a separate checking account. Or check out TDS and all the reviews of folks using this for years.
I'm not trying to be a jerk but that's not really an answer to my question - insured by *whom*? Who/what exactly is providing this insurance of which you speak?
Sponsored

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
I'm not trying to be a jerk but that's not really an answer to my question - insured by *whom*? Who/what exactly is providing this insurance of which you speak?
Maybe he was referring to the FDIC? Unfortunately the FDIC doesn’t cover identity theft this way. Guessing it’s up to the banks on an individual basis.

I had some fraud via ACH years ago and Wells Fargo did not hold me responsible for the amount. Took 45 days for the investigation and such, but the just froze the amount in my account until it was over

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe he was referring to the FDIC? Unfortunately the FDIC doesn’t cover identity theft this way. Guessing it’s up to the banks on an individual basis.

I had some fraud via ACH years ago and Wells Fargo did not hold me responsible for the amount. Took 45 days for the investigation and such, but the just froze the amount in my account until it was over
Yeah, FDIC (or FSLIC) definitely wouldn't address that (or any type of theft, it's for institutional insolvency). That's why I'm curious what insurance was being referred to here.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
You Bank will protect you against most fraud. I should have said assurance
Yeah, FDIC (or FSLIC) definitely wouldn't address that (or any type of theft, it's for institutional insolvency). That's why I'm curious what insurance was being referred to here.

Read this Article about TDS Fuel Card it is very detailed and discusses how the transactions work

https://rvlove.com/2019/09/19/discount-fuel-how-to-save-money-on-fuel-with-this-fuel-discount-card/

Here is an excerpt

What’s the catch?
There isn’t one. You apply for a card, start using it, and start saving on diesel fuel!

Seriously though. We understand that the biggest reservation for most folks will be the idea of having to hand over your bank account details and social security number to the company. While this is obviously sensitive information, keep this in mind. TSD Logistics is basically providing you with a credit line via their EFS Corporate Fleet account. They are the ones making initial payment for the fuel at the truck stop location, (and any other charges on your statement). They need to recoup that from you by debiting from your bank account. Their Accounting Controller explained to us that a social security number was required in case they needed to pursue an unpaid account via collections.

We did our homework on the company first. In our research, we discovered that TSD Logistics was established as a family business in 1980. So they have been around for almost 40 years. They are a highly respected bulk transport provider, and known as the tire and rubber industry’s most trusted carrier of raw materials, including carbon black. TSD Logistics is a values-based business, with a focus on quality. Their clients include Michelin, Goodyear and Firestone. We also found they have 4.3 star ratings on Google and a 4 star rating by employees (past/present) on Glassdoor.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You Bank will protect you against most fraud. I should have said assurance
Your bank will (usually) *try* to help you. Big difference. This is the reason some people are (justly) concerned about theft of their debit cards and/or identity theft. Unlike credit cards there is no built-in protection for the fraudulent use of a debit card. I honestly have no concerns about the diesel service company you have introduced here - sounds like a great deal and if I had a diesel vehicle I'm fairly certain I'd sign up. I was merely responding to your posts that implied there's some type of automatic insurance in play as it's simply not true and I wouldn't want someone to come away with a false sense of security.

I know a bit about how banks work as next month will be my 40th year working for a large Midwestern bank (over a trillion dollars in assets under management).

In the event of fraudulent use of a debit card the issuing bank will do its best to help the customer - as they would for any issue - but if they are unable to track down the who's and where's (and the pro fraudsters are good at this) the account holder is left holding the bag. You would be very surprised at what a serious - and growing - issue fraud is; the bank is always sharing new schemes for us to be aware of as the crooks keep finding new ways to steal. Banks just don't like to publicize this so as not to "scare the suits".

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Your bank will (usually) *try* to help you. Big difference. This is the reason some people are (justly) concerned about theft of their debit cards and/or identity theft. Unlike credit cards there is no built-in protection for the fraudulent use of a debit card. I honestly have no concerns about the diesel service company you have introduced here - sounds like a great deal and if I had a diesel vehicle I'm fairly certain I'd sign up. I was merely responding to your posts that implied there's some type of automatic insurance in play as it's simply not true and I wouldn't want someone to come away with a false sense of security.

I know a bit about how banks work as next month will be my 40th year working for a large Midwestern bank (over a trillion dollars in assets under management).

In the event of fraudulent use of a debit card the issuing bank will do its best to help the customer - as they would for any issue - but if they are unable to track down the who's and where's (and the pro fraudsters are good at this) the account holder is left holding the bag. You would be very surprised at what a serious - and growing - issue fraud is; the bank is always sharing new schemes for us to be aware of as the crooks keep finding new ways to steal. Banks just don't like to publicize this so as not to "scare the suits".

Karl, clearly this is not the opportunity for you, the fact you get a email for each transaction right away to notifiy you of transaction, the fact there is a $200 limit for non diesel sales and another purchase must be for diesel, the fact the card is only good for a limited list of Commercial fuel stations sounds like it is just to high risk for you, and that is OK, we all have different levels of risk. But seeing that EFS manages hundreds of millions of $$$ in fuels transactions I am ok with it and being a user for a short time now I am even more impressed.

Now if you are concerned about data bases being compromised that is different, however you should then cancel all credit and debit cards and checking accounts and resort to cash only.

Every non cash transaction is a risk vs reward decision, just do your homework and make what ever decision you can live with. Not even credit card purchases are 100% protected. However as you know more often or not you will be supported and made whole against fraudulent charges.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Karl, clearly this is not the opportunity for you, the fact you get a email for each transaction right away to notifiy you of transaction, the fact there is a $200 limit for non diesel sales and another purchase must be for diesel, the fact the card is only good for a limited list of Commercial fuel stations sounds like it is just to high risk for you, and that is OK, we all have different levels of risk. But seeing that EFS manages hundreds of millions of $$$ in fuels transactions I am ok with it and being a user for a short time now I am even more impressed.

Now if you are concerned about data bases being compromised that is different, however you should then cancel all credit and debit cards and checking accounts and resort to cash only.

Every non cash transaction is a risk vs reward decision, just do your homework and make what ever decision you can live with. Not even credit card purchases are 100% protected. However as you know more often or not you will be supported and made whole against fraudulent charges.
Clearly you've chosen to hear what you wish to hear (or ignore what I said, either way). Good luck to you but please stop telling people their debit card usage is insured - that's, at best, seriously misinformed and, at worst, a flat out lie.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Noob question that I don't see addressed in this thread:

I get that there seems to be a consumption issue, but is DEF frightfully expensive -or- impossible to refill myself? If either of those situations are true, I'd be concerned. I've never owned a diesel so I need context please.

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
Noob question that I don't see addressed in this thread:

I get that there seems to be a consumption issue, but is DEF frightfully expensive -or- impossible to refill myself? If either of those situations are true, I'd be concerned. I've never owned a diesel so I need context please.
It is not expensive and you can easily add it with a funnel or at a gas station that has def right out of the pump (as long as nozzle fits in the hole). A 2.5 gallon box of def at Walmart is 12 bucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLUEDEF-Diesel-Exhaust-Fluid-2-5-gal/16933407

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It is not expensive and you can easily add it with a funnel or at a gas station that has def right out of the pump (as long as nozzle fits in the hole). A 2.5 gallon box of def at Walmart is 12 bucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLUEDEF-Diesel-Exhaust-Fluid-2-5-gal/16933407

It should be noted you WILL NOT find DEF at typical gas stations even if they sell Diesel it will not be available at the pump. It is only found at Truck stops in the commercial lanes. Reason being DEF has a short shelf life and the stations need to sell it in volume to prevent bad DEF from being pumped. Your Wrangler will tell when it is time to add DEF and for most it will be once or twice a year. Buy DEF as needed DO NOT BUY and store, again limited shelf life. All DEF is sold in store is dated so make sure to check the dates.

The down side to filling DEF yourself form store containers it can be a little messy and in the winter time in areas that have freezing temps you do not want to over fill that can be bad for your DEF as it will freeze.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
DEF Shelf Life is 2 years depending on storage conditions. Plenty long.
Like anything, check the age on the packaging before you buy.

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
“It should be noted you WILL NOT find DEF at typical gas stations even if they sell Diesel it will not be availableat the pump.”

That’s not the case where I live. We have a BP gas station right in town next to all the restaurants and all the other gas stations that has def out of the pump right next to the diesel pump.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
Here's mine, no towing just regular commuting. More reason to tune and delete, maybe use that space as aux fuel storage.

07FC2FAE-B83B-42C7-82A2-ADE53056C0E9.jpeg
Sponsored