Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I also got tired of using coolers. I was using Siberian alpha coolers, same quality as yeti, also grizzly rated.

Got an iceco JP40 now and man it’s so much nicer, got mine with 20% off so it was $660 with tax and it’s got the same compressor as a dometic that can handle 40* tilts.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
So I'm in Montana - I'll be camping for say 3 days potentially 75 miles back a dirt road and away from civilization. I really don't want my jeep battery to die.

Thoughts?

How long does it take an E cooler to drain the car battery? Do you just start it up every so often?

It sounds great if you're constantly driving, but if you're camping for days, it could be problematic.

Thanks!

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I have this as well. Fits perfectly.
I'll agree on the Rtic 45. I have a 65 qt. and after filling up Friday there's still ice and plenty cold when I get home Sunday afternoon. I impinge a 45 qt. would fair even better with less space to cool.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So I'm in Montana - I'll be camping for say 3 days potentially 75 miles back a dirt road and away from civilization. I really don't want my jeep battery to die.

Thoughts?

How long does it take an E cooler to drain the car battery? Do you just start it up every so often?

It sounds great if you're constantly driving, but if you're camping for days, it could be problematic.

Thanks!
I've got a Dometic CD 30. I've seen different specs, but it uses somewhere between 36 and 45 watts. That's 3.0 to 3.75 amps per hour for a 12 volt system (watts / volts = amps).

Best case scenario: you have the tow package (everyone has the tow package, right?) with the 700 amp battery. Never drain an AGM battery below 50%, so that's a max of 350 amps. Theoretically that will power my ~3.75 amp fridge for ~93 hours.

Ambient temperatures will obviously have a significant impact on how much energy it draws.

Sponsored

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Is the compressor running on an angle thing an issue? I'm tempted to just buy a cheap one.

Seems like the best options are the ICECO VL series and the Dometics for the expensive versions.

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
I've got a Dometic CD 30. I've seen different specs, but it uses somewhere between 36 and 45 watts. That's 3.0 to 3.75 amps per hour for a 12 volt system (watts / volts = amps).

Best case scenario: you have the tow package (everyone has the tow package, right?) with the 700 amp battery. Never drain an AGM battery below 50%, so that's a max of 350 amps. Theoretically that will power my ~3.75 amp fridge for ~93 hours.

Ambient temperatures will obviously have a significant impact on how much energy it draws.
My Dometic CFX3 45 uses about 48 watts when the compressor is running. About 1-2 watts when its not. Makes a huge difference in your math.

But, I would not run a cooler off a start battery for 3 days. The Dometic does have a battery saver option but I dont think I would trust it. Maybe if I had a jump box, which I also do carry.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My understanding was that you can run a fridge overnigtht then drive to recharge. Can you go longer? I guess I don't know how much longer before it gets iffy on starting. But a solar charging system would supplement the main battery. I went with a Genesis dual battery system, but not necessarily for a fridge. More for back country redundancy.

Sponsored

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
My understanding was that you can run a fridge overnigtht then drive to recharge. Can you go longer? I guess I don't know how much longer before it gets iffy on starting. But a solar charging system would supplement the main battery. I went with a Genesis dual battery system, but not necessarily for a fridge. More for back country redundancy.
Opinion: If you want to run a fridge for more than an occasional overnight you should get a separate battery to power it. many options from Jackery, Dometic, Bluyeti etc. Of you can go the DIY route and buy a LiFePO4 batter with manager, charger etc.