Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This is what I did.. I bought a 4 gallon BPA free water tank from expedition one... it has a mounting system similar to the Rotopax tank.. they come in White and black color.. here is the link to their store:

Flat Panel Geri Water Packs | By Expedition One (expeditiononestore.com)

1670282033403.png

I then made a mounting bracket that is secured with the side roof bolts on one side .. and the other side is secured to the seat belt bolt.. the tank is sandwiched between the rear roof window and the rollbar on the driver side.. so basically it does not take extra space since I used that gap between the rollbar and the roof window to install the tank:

1670282207261.png

I bought a food grade flexible silicone hose that I attached to the tank and a tap spout like this one
1670282646282.png

I don't have a good pic of the side of the JL with the water tank installed.. I am asking my friends for a pic.. this is the only one I have for now.. I will update the post once I have more pics..

1670282491414.png
This is the set up I've been trying to find for a couple years now. Thanks much. Any pix would be appreciated.

I ordered the white tank and I'll fab up a mount. I'd like to see your installation if you don't mind. I'm pretty stoked. I've really been looking for a long time to find a tank around that capacity that would fit in that space. A big thanks, again.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
these are a couple of pics I have.. not great detail but it gives you an idea.. in this setup I had the hose facing the rear of the JL.. but it was difficult to refill this way.. I have since turned the tank around and it is a lot easier to use the hose/spout .. anyway... I really like this idea because we can use a space that is normally wasted... it is silly to think that I spent so much time looking for BPA free water tanks that fit that space.. I made a mounting bracket and all that.. and I don't even have decent pictures of the system.. LOL

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep 1670283816775

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep 1670283951084

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
these are a couple of pics I have.. not great detail but it gives you an idea.. in this setup I had the hose facing the rear of the JL.. but it was difficult to refill this way.. I have since turned the tank around and it is a lot easier to use the hose/spout .. anyway... I really like this idea because we can use a space that is normally wasted... it is silly to think that I spent so much time looking for BPA free water tanks that fit that space.. I made a mounting bracket and all that.. and I don't even have decent pictures of the system.. LOL

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep 1670283951084

Thanks much for the pix. I get the idea. I'm pretty handy in fab work and have a good friend's big commercial shop to work out of. 👍

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks much for the pix. I get the idea. I'm pretty handy in fab work and have a good friend's big commercial shop to work out of. 👍
Awesome!..

I found a couple more pics .. as you can see I bought the mounting brackets from Expedition One

That was a temporary hose.. I since replaced it with a food-grade silicone hose... this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8BWY65/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

And this BPA free tap spigot
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081C1QQ4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I mentioned before, I turned the tank around and now access the hose through the rear passenger door, much easier access, and also a lot easier to fill up the tank through the top cap..

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep 1670374188555

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep 1670374123675

More details on the bracket

Here it is installed on the Jeep while working on welding a piece to secure the front to the
Seat Belt bolt... as you can see the Expedition One mounts are installed on the outer holes of the tank.. for the center I welded square tubes with welded threaded rod couplings inside, then a flat bar across to secure the tank to the mount.. and then I welded that flat bar going from the
seat belt bolt to that center flat bar... I built it that way to make sure it was strong enough
to withstand the constant banging while doing rock crawling (4 gallons of water weigh 33 pounds + weight of tank + weight of mount.. so that is a lot of weight being violently tossed around.. the design works as I have taken this tank to many rock crawling trips with no issues)

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep 1670374773680

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Awesome!..

I found a couple more pics .. as you can see I bought the mounting brackets from Expedition One

That was a temporary hose.. I since replaced it with a food-grade silicone hose... this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8BWY65/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

And this BPA free tap spigot
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081C1QQ4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I mentioned before, I turned the tank around and now access the hose through the rear passenger door, much easier access, and also a lot easier to fill up the tank through the top cap..

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep 1670374773680

More details on the bracket

Here it is installed on the Jeep while working on welding a piece to secure the front to the
Seat Belt bolt... as you can see the Expedition One mounts are installed on the outer holes of the tank.. for the center I welded square tubes with welded threaded rod couplings inside, then a flat bar across to secure the tank to the mount.. and then I welded that flat bar going from the
seat belt bolt to that center flat bar... I built it that way to make sure it was strong enough
to withstand the constant banging while doing rock crawling (4 gallons of water weigh 33 pounds + weight of tank + weight of mount.. so that is a lot of weight being violently tossed around.. the design works as I have taken this tank to many rock crawling trips with no issues)

With the Expedition one quick release mounts, is there enough room in there to detach and slide the tank out without disassembling stuff?

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the Expedition one quick release mounts, is there enough room in there to detach and slide the tank out without disassembling stuff?
I only had to remove the rear quick-release mount in order to be able to slide the tank/mount.. in other words... you attach the tank to the mount leaving the rear quick-release uninstalled.. slide the tank into position, connect the rear quick-release, and secure the mount with the bolts.. done!.. LOL...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I only had to remove the rear quick-release mount in order to be able to slide the tank/mount.. in other words... you attach the tank to the mount leaving the rear quick-release uninstalled.. slide the tank into position, connect the rear quick-release, and secure the mount with the bolts.. done!.. LOL...
LOL, I'll think about it awhile. I might be able to come up with something a little more convenient.

greige

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 farout
I have the waterport too. Love it, but have not taken it camping, takes up too much space inside. Was thinking about the Yakima road shower. Pricey, but interesting since I do use a roof rack while camping

https://yakima.com/products/roadshower

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, Tundra, Landcruiser, Bronco, CJ7
5 gallon Sceptor connected to 12v pump & faucet. DIY baby.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep IMG_9349.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep IMG_9350.JPG

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide
My problem with keeping water inside the Jeep is the sloshing noise.

Sponsored

Jeep Wick

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
Occupation
Mechanic
Hey all, I’m looking for water storage ideas for my camping trip that won’t break the bank. I normally camp in my Jeep on an air mattress with my girlfriend and a dog so space is a premium. I’m looking to store about 4-5 gallons.
Rotopax makes a nice water container you can mount various places.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

I used some GenRight cargo basket mounts and some aluminum plate to mount a couple of rotopax water containers
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep IMG_0845
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep IMG_0846
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep IMG_0844
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep IMG_0843

wheelsfeels

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU 2020
Hey! I saw a really interesting idea of storing water in gallons with faucet on the shelves like this. It is easy to pour and you still have access to you sleeping place. I made this for my Jeep 👍
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep double-shelf-for-jeep-wrangler-jlu
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for water storage ideas for camping in Jeep storage-system-for-jeep-wrangler-jlu
Sponsored