Changing Tire on the Trail???

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Dude, I'm a flat tire magnet! I seem to hit and pick up everything. I just bought a brand-new full set of tires for my daily commuter, on my way to work, (same day) I ran over one of those steel plates for road construction, BAM! blew out a brand-new tire on the side wall no less! I've had blow outs on the interstate at 70 mph for no flipping reason. It freaks me out so bad I don't know if my poor old heart can take anymore. I may have developed PTSD from it idk. :crying:
I guess I don't feel so bad knowing my luck isn't as bad as it gets.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

1684445251136.png

The benefit to these is that they are compact and light weight. They are also fairly inexpensive compared to almost all other jack options. I have the Mopar one just in case. I carry that and a battery powered impact (with the proper socket for my spline lug nuts) not just offroad but for long highway trips. I don't relish the idea of ever being on the side of the road for long periods of time.
I might be missing something, but the same thing appears to be for sale from Summit Racing for under $20.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIvv-urIWA_wIV8xJ9Ch0rlAi5EAQYASABEgJ4JfD_BwE

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
Not to change the subject but does anyone carry a battery powered impact to change out a flat tire? If so which brand, do you have that actually has enough torque to remove the lug nuts?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Dude, I'm a flat tire magnet! I seem to hit and pick up everything. I just bought a brand-new full set of tires for my daily commuter, on my way to work, (same day) I ran over one of those steel plates for road construction, BAM! blew out a brand-new tire on the side wall no less! I've had blow outs on the interstate at 70 mph for no flipping reason. It freaks me out so bad I don't know if my poor old heart can take anymore. I may have developed PTSD from it idk. :crying:
That's how my 86 Trans Am was. It picked up every nail, screw and bit on the road.
Edit- to answer your question, I have a DeWalt 1/2" battery impact that does the job.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I bought a Chevy Sonic a few years ago, I looked in the trunk, it came with a can of fix a flat and a cheap little 12 volt air pump, no Spare tire! That's not gonna work me....
My Camaro SS had the same thing and the battery was in the tire cubby.

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
That's how my 86 Trans Am was. It picked up every nail, screw and bit on the road.
Edit- to answer your question, I have a DeWalt 1/2" battery impact that does the job.
How many volts?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not to change the subject but does anyone carry a battery powered impact to change out a flat tire? If so which brand, do you have that actually has enough torque to remove the lug nuts?
I have a Milwaukee M18 Mid Torque with a XC8 Hi Output battery. It will remove a lug nut pretty well and it's not as big and heavy as the larger Milwaukee. I've never had it fail to remove a lug nut.
20230518_170149.jpg
20230518_170226.jpg

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I've used a hi-lift on the bumpers or rock sliders to change a tire. It sucks especially if your jeep is really flexy.

I carry one of these now, it's a bit bulky to store in the Jeep, but a safer alternative. Plus the big flat base is a plus in mud/sand/snow so your jack doesnt sink into the ground as easily. You use it to jack under your axle, works for my 37s perfectly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing Tire on the Trail??? 1684454600122
This, plus a nice set of blocks to go under. I carry a set of 4 of the plastic square stackable “leveling blocks” used under camper. This gives a nice flat “foot” under the jack that can range from 1-4” high. Works well. I had a high lift years ago when I was a pup (‘cause the kool kids had them). All was good until I needed it. I was NOT impressed and that was it’s last ride in the Scout. A good plug kit and inflator is choice #1. Changeout is ONLY if a sidewall is fubared (and yeah a nice sharp rock can do that🙄)

Sponsored

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

a Hi-Lift has gotten me out of a couple spots where a regular jack couldn't have gotten any purchase. The Hi-Lift is a more versatile tool (including that it can work as a big clamp) than a bottle or scissor jack because there are plenty of times on the trail when you can't position a bottle or scissor jack where you'd need to, or it can't reach what it needs to reach.

But for just raising an axle on the trail, a bottle or scissor jack is safer and easier if you're on level enough ground to use it.
It's easy to make a case for carrying both a Hi-Lift and bottle/scissor since they do different jobs the other is not good at. But I admit I haven't carried my Hi-Lift on a trip in a while.
Thx STW, I appreciate the thoughts on this.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I've been on lots of trails and haven't had a flat, but besides the stock jack I carry a bottle jack and 4 or so pieces of 2x4 to use as blocks or spacers. I figure if I'm on a trail there will be plenty of rocks laying around to use as spacers.

I figure a Jeep on a trail is likely not on flat ground, if a sidewall is punctured then the axle will be way down on the ground, it's not going to be a simple jack it up and change the tire. You may have to dig a hole to put the jack in (I carry a shovel also), you may have to stack rocks or blocks of wood, you might have to jack up the Jeep to the limit of the jack and stack rocks, raise the jack up more and jack the Jeep up farther, until you get to the point where you can get the tires swapped. It might take some time and ingenuity. But it's better than walking home. This is the risk of wheeling.

I was watching a youtube video where the person tried to drive through a ditch a little too deep and they got stuck with the vehicle setting down on the frame. I was thinking "jack it up and stack rocks" or "dig out from under the frame so the wheel could roll back up out of the ditch". I was watching another video and a guy got stuck when he drove off the side of the road. He kept working at it for a long time and finally managed to get out. I questioned some of the things he did but he persevered until it worked.

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

I was watching a youtube video where the person tried to drive through a ditch a little too deep and they got stuck with the vehicle setting down on the frame. I was thinking "jack it up and stack rocks" or "dig out from under the frame so the wheel could roll back up out of the ditch".
Interesting! I had not thought of that scenario at all, clever. This is a time where a hi-lift would likely be necessary. A bottle jack likely would struggle in this scenario.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Any recommendations on a scissor upgrade? I do have the spacer with the jack, so perhaps I don't need an upgrade.
I've got this 4 ton scissor jack in all 3 of my Rubys and used it several times. I drive it with my impact driver. Same size as the factory jack so sows the same.

But my go two jack is this double Ram. It's got enough lift to change a flat 43" on my LJR. It's slightly too tall for a flat on a 17" rim, but I drive over rock, 2x6, or spacer.

I've seen 4 hi-lift failures in the last couple years, one a near disaster.

There are plenty of haters of the ARB hydraulic jack, but I have one and love it. It's not cheap, but it's compact, lightweight and easier and safer to use than a hi-lift. Gets my XR off the ground with room to spare. Some say it doesn't work well in the cold, but I don't wheel in the winter, so I don't know about that. Yeah, you have to step on the jack pad to get it to retract, but all of that is a small trade off for how easy and safe it is to use, at least in my experience.
I'd get one except that it must be stored vertically.

Bottle jack here. I had a flat from a busted valve stem this past weekend playing in the rocks. Had to get on a level surface and we were good to go. Put a flat rock under it to keep it from sinking in the dirt too much. Done and done in 15 tops. And about half of that was trying to maneuver the Jeep into position with a flat tire and overheating the power steering.
Get the Colby Valve Ultimate Tire Valve Stem Replacement System

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
I've got this 4 ton scissor jack in all 3 of my Rubys and used it several times. I drive it with my impact driver. Same size as the factory jack so sows the same.

But my go two jack is this double Ram. It's got enough lift to change a flat 43" on my LJR. It's slightly too tall for a flat on a 17" rim, but I drive over rock, 2x6, or spacer.

I've seen 4 hi-lift failures in the last couple years, one a near disaster.

I'd get one except that it must be stored vertically.
Funny, I was just looking at this low boy to add to my collection.
Amazon.com: BAOSHISHAN Low Profile Bottle Jack 10 Ton Double Ram Jack 4-7/8’’ to 8-7/8’’ Lifting Range Hydraulic Jack Stubby Short Welded Bottle Jack : Industrial & Scientific
Sponsored