Sponsored

CarPlay not working

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Has anyone on this thread found a permanent solution to Apple Car Play disconnecting? There are several threads written about this but no one seems to have a clear permanent solution. Any feedback on a permanent fix is greatly appreciated.
Removing the appropriate fuses mentioned before and pressing in the loose fuses and relays in the fuse box permanently fixed it for me. Intermittent connections can cause havoc on anything electronic.
Sponsored

Sina’s Jeep

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93’ Wrangler & 2019 Rubicon JLU
Removing the appropriate fuses mentioned before and pressing in the loose fuses and relays in the fuse box permanently fixed it for me. Intermittent connections can cause havoc on anything electronic.
Thanks California Jeeping. I actually tried fuse 11 as I read your responses a while back. However, I didn’t mess around with the other fuses. I will check each and everyone of them and see what happens. I think I will also go a purchaser a brand new cable to see if that helps at all. The 3 different cables I used all were Apple OEM wires but I will get a new one anyway.

What confuses me the most is that Apple Car Play works perfectly fine with USB HUB #1 but not USB HUB #2. I prefer to use HUB #2 because it keeps my wires & phone in the console which looks cleaner and reduces any chance of me looking at my phone.

I will update this post later on the results I get. Thanks again for your feedback.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks California Jeeping. I actually tried fuse 11 as I read your responses a while back. However, I didn’t mess around with the other fuses. I will check each and everyone of them and see what happens. I think I will also go a purchaser a brand new cable to see if that helps at all. The 3 different cables I used all were Apple OEM wires but I will get a new one anyway.

What confuses me the most is that Apple Car Play works perfectly fine with USB HUB #1 but not USB HUB #2. I prefer to use HUB #2 because it keeps my wires & phone in the console which looks cleaner and reduces any chance of me looking at my phone.

I will update this post later on the results I get. Thanks again for your feedback.
According to the owner's manual, fuses F51 and F102 also are related to USB. So it would be good to remove and reinsert those two fuses as well, but check all fuses and relays since they are all in the same box. If you press down on the fuses and relays in a quiet enough place, you can hear them snap in if they weren't seated in all the way.

Does it work correctly with the USB #3 on the back of the console? The other USB on the back of the console is charge only. USB #1, #2 and #3 should all work with Apple Play.

Sina’s Jeep

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to the owner's manual, fuses F51 and F102 also are related to USB. So it would be good to remove and reinsert those two fuses as well, but check all fuses and relays since they are all in the same box. If you press down on the fuses and relays in a quiet enough place, you can hear them snap in if they weren't seated in all the way.

Does it work correctly with the USB #3 on the back of the console? The other USB on the back of the console is charge only. USB #1, #2 and #3 should all work with Apple Play.
That’s really good information to know. I just went and reviewed each fuse and relay function and exactly as you mentioned, fuse 51 and 102 are also associated with USB.

I will also verify that USB 3 on back is working with Apple car play as well.

I will reply to this post with my results. Thank you again California Jeeping for your detailed information. I appreciate it.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Has anyone on this thread found a permanent solution to Apple Car Play disconnecting? There are several threads written about this but no one seems to have a clear permanent solution. Any feedback on a permanent fix is greatly appreciated.
Here is what worked for me. I had a CarPlay disconnecting problem in my previous car (non Jeep). Here is what cured it and I have not had any CarPlay connection problems in my JL or any car since.

I usually keep my phone in my pocket, when not driving. This caused pocket lint and dust to build up in the lightning connector plug. While this does not effect charging, as the current will go thru the lint/dust, it does cause havoc with the data signal thru the lightning connector.

So, to clean the lightning connector on the phone, I turn off my phone, and use a wooden toothpick to gently clean out the lightning plug socket. I do this about once every couple months.

It might be worth 2 minutes of time to give this a try.

Sponsored

MiamiBeachJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler High Altitude Edition
I had the same issue, which I posted about in the forums - a 2019 Uconnect JL that would periodically disconnect from CarPlay. After bringing my vehicle to the dealer, I was told I needed to have a lighting cable manufactured by Apple and that I was using a non Apple cable, which could be causing the problem. Since the dealer was unable to replicate the problem, I reluctantly purchased a new cable from Apple and I can say now that it hasn't disconnected since and it's been two months. I didn't believe that could be the problem, but it seems the dealer was right.

Sina’s Jeep

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY SOLUTION AND STEPS:

I was having problems not being able to connect Apple CarPlay with USB port #2 which is located in the middle console. I did all of the following and finally got it resolved. I am not sure exactly which one resolved the issue but if I had to guess, it was the brand-new authentic Apple USB cable that I purchased this is something MANY have mentioned. Thanks to all on this thread for the recommendations.

Here are all the steps I took – all of these were recommendations from multiple threads on the JL forum.

1. Removed and re-inserted all of the fuses and relays – especially fuse F11, F51, and F102 – all of which are affiliated with the USB ports. Ironically, these any many others seemed to be bit loose.

2. Checked to make sure my software was up to date

3. Checked to make sure music app (Spotify) was up to date

4. Reinstalled a new IOS on my phone

5. Purchased a brand-new authentic Apple USB cable from the Apple Store.

Since then, my apple car play works consistently on the USB ports.

Fred_Denver

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Red JLR 2-door V6
I just got mine to work after a week of trying every suggestion. I have an iPhone XS Max and was current on the iOS 12.4 when CarPlay stopped working. I pulled fuses including resetting the radio. I tried new cables. I switched USB ports. I updated my iOS to the beta 13.0 version (I am an Apple beta tester) still nothing. I checked the iPhone phone Settings/Screen Time/Content & Privacy Restrerictions/Allowed Apps/ to ensure CarPlay was enabled on the phone.

I got it to work a few minutes ago with this: On the touch screen on my Jeep under the Apps menu/Projection Manager/Smartphone Projection Manager/ (choose your paired phone) I found that "Enable Apple CarPlay" was NOT checked. I don't know if an over-the-air firmware update changed this setting but as soon as I checked the box and chose connect device my plugged in phone to USB2 immediately launched CarPlay and defaulted to my music playing.

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.PNG

IMG_0617.jpg

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I have had my 2020 JLRU for 6 weeks now and I have 2200 miles on it. Apple Car Play was been working great until yesterday afternoon. It just would not reconnect. I tried all the things listed above... clicking on the Projection Manager and making sure “Enable Apple Car Play” was checked and also rebooted my iPhone X. It started working again this morning until when I stopped for gas this afternoon. It would not reconnect after that.

I had been using only the USB port in the console. I decided to try the USB port on the dash. It reconnected!!! I tried the USB port in the console again and still not working.

Anyone else encountered this issue where the center console USB port quit working with Apple Car Play? Keep in mind, all other functions, phone recognition, iPhone music, charging, etc. still seems to work fine.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

There might be a software problem on the 8.4" unit. I put in my aftermarket 8.4" unit, and Carplay may work on USB1. It never seems to work on USB2. Eventually, it won't work on USB1 either.

I put my 7" unit in, Carplay works on both connections. No issues. No problems.

The USB cables, fuses, and relays are the same in both cases. Same independent USB connection on both the 7" and the 8.4". The only difference is the head units.

The 7" is what came with my Jeep from the factory. The 8.4" is one that I bought from Infotainment, and will not be supported by FCA.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have had my 2020 JLRU for 6 weeks now and I have 2200 miles on it. Apple Car Play was been working great until yesterday afternoon. It just would not reconnect. I tried all the things listed above... clicking on the Projection Manager and making sure “Enable Apple Car Play” was checked and also rebooted my iPhone X. It started working again this morning until when I stopped for gas this afternoon. It would not reconnect after that.

I had been using only the USB port in the console. I decided to try the USB port on the dash. It reconnected!!! I tried the USB port in the console again and still not working.

Anyone else encountered this issue where the center console USB port quit working with Apple Car Play? Keep in mind, all other functions, phone recognition, iPhone music, charging, etc. still seems to work fine.
Hi Jerry,
We're sorry to learn about the troubles you are experiencing with Apple CarPlay. If you decide to visit your dealer to have this addressed, please send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0T
Try pulling the fuse to your radio/display for a minute, then plug it back in. The labels to which fuse are under the fuse box cover. My bluetooth and Apple Play was acting weird initially, but ever since I removed and reinserted the fuse, no problems. I also found a large percentage of the relays and fuses were super loose and would snap in when I pushed on them.
Thank you. My CarPlay decided to stop working for no obvious reason.

After working with the console and my iPhone for thirty minutes or so I started googling and came upon this thread. I went out and reseated F11 and didn't see any change, but I went back in and pressed in all of the fuses and all of the relays (wow, they were really loose. wtf?), and when i jumped back into the jeep it was asking me if I wanted to setup CarPlay. FFS!

cactusflier

First Name
Taun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JULR, 2006 R53
Occupation
Retired American Airlines Airbus Pilot
I just got mine to work after a week of trying every suggestion. I have an iPhone XS Max and was current on the iOS 12.4 when CarPlay stopped working. I pulled fuses including resetting the radio. I tried new cables. I switched USB ports. I updated my iOS to the beta 13.0 version (I am an Apple beta tester) still nothing. I checked the iPhone phone Settings/Screen Time/Content & Privacy Restrerictions/Allowed Apps/ to ensure CarPlay was enabled on the phone.

I got it to work a few minutes ago with this: On the touch screen on my Jeep under the Apps menu/Projection Manager/Smartphone Projection Manager/ (choose your paired phone) I found that "Enable Apple CarPlay" was NOT checked. I don't know if an over-the-air firmware update changed this setting but as soon as I checked the box and chose connect device my plugged in phone to USB2 immediately launched CarPlay and defaulted to my music playing.

Jeep Wrangler JL CarPlay not working IMG_0617

This is what worked for me. Smartphone Device Mirroring somehow got unchecked.

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
I just found this thread and the discussion on fuses was new for me so I checked and I was able to push down many fuses ... maybe 8 or 10 fuses including 11, 51 & 102. I’ll report back if it helps. FYI here’s my sad story:

2018 JLUR and since day 1 CarPlay has intermittently shut off. Even worse, Sometimes the radio goes black and completely shuts off and then restarts WHILE I AM DRIVING!

I’ve tried 9 different cables including 4 OEM Apple cables. I have an iPhone 8 Plus running latest IOS (now 13.something).

I’ve brought it in to the dealer three times and they just say “you phone is too new”, and show me the uconnect site which says it is only compatible with iOS 11.3 or older.

@JeepCares is that the best FCA can do? A $55K jeep and that is the response?

Anyone else experience similar?
Sponsored