Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
So does FCA let you pick a body shop to do the work? And they reimburse them?
Typically not. According to our dealer, top tier body shops are too expensive, so Stellantis approves only low to mid tier. Really whatever they can get away with. In our case we just got back ours from a mid tier shop today. Second time in for warranty corrosion. First time was a low tier shop - had to do a do over. Cost was $3K for the passenger hood hinge. Second time was a mid tier shop - also ended up with a do over. Cost was $8K for 4 doors plus the driver hood hinge.

Con is you have to manage the work - the dealer will not. Dealer picks the shop based on what Stellantis approves. Once it goes to the outsourced shop the dealer steps away. PITA for you. Time consuming. Added together took over 2 months to get the end product.

Pro is you push the quality you get in the end. Work is guaranteed not to corrode again for life vs in-house dealer not. End analysis is both times had to get the body shop owner involved to get proper QC. Both times the end job was a significant improvement over the OEM factory paint finish. All hinges are now epoxy coated, no OEM orange peel, repainted severely rock chipped hinge body lowers, new decals x2, new hood insulation, etc. Condition is much better than ever and very visible pinstriped door panels completely repainted in the process.

So pros and cons. But worth it in the end. JL looks much better than before - with epoxy coating under the hinges. Guaranteed. Quality is top notch. But both required very time consuming do overs. Advice for all is get it done while you can under warranty. All rental and courtesy cars were free the entire time. After warranty - cost is all on you.

Bottom line is Stellantis has not yet concluded it is better to spend more at the factory to epoxy coat. Better to simply pay for those individual warranty claims that come in. Suspicion is most owners will sell - or not deal with corrosion problems. Just pass them on. We intend to keep this beast like our other vehicles. So was definitely worth it in the end for us.

Hopefully other forum users will gain from this. Like the steering box thread. We all benefit. Sometimes a lot. For no cost - just our time researching posts and reaching out to others with DMs.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
What's the percentage of Jeeps affected by this corosion real world? Are we talking like 10% or 99%? Some people just get an unlucky batch or everyone will experience this eventually? I'd like to know for sure. By the sounds of the problem it is going to be everyone eventually. Hopefully Jeep has recognized this issue and has it fixed for 2022.

Also I thought it was just the hinges at first. But I've seen pictures of Jeeps having this corrosion problem in other places like the bottom of the hood.

This sounds like a complete nightmare and is definitely making me nervous ordering a new 2022. Especially considering how picky I am with my vehicles.

Can you imagine buying a new $75k+ 392 and this happening? Yikes!! It's bad enough on $40k Jeeps because let's face it $40k is a lot of money. But $75k+ is a whole nother realm of insanity if this would happen. I'd lose my F-img mind. šŸ¤Æ

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
What's the percentage of Jeeps affected by this corosion real world? Are we talking like 10% or 99%? Some people just get an unlucky batch or everyone will experience this eventually? I'd like to know for sure. By the sounds of the problem it is going to be everyone eventually. Hopefully Jeep has recognized this issue and has it fixed for 2022.

Also I thought it was just the hinges at first. But I've seen pictures of Jeeps having this corrosion problem in other places like the bottom of the hood.

This sounds like a complete nightmare and is definitely making me nervous ordering a new 2022. Especially considering how picky I am with my vehicles.

Can you imagine buying a new $75k+ 392 and this happening? Yikes!! It's bad enough on $40k Jeeps because let's face it $40k is a lot of money. But $75k+ is a whole nother realm of insanity if this would happen. I'd lose my F-img mind. šŸ¤Æ
see post #1601 above- TWO different reasons for bubbles
1) at hinges - ALL will eventually corrode/bubble due to manufacturing process with raw aluminum under hinges - The fact is that NO PROCESSES have changed so you can expect same results
2) contamination under paint sealed in on aluminum panels and causing bubbles.

Last edited:

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
see post #1601 above- TWO different reasons for bubbles
1) at hinges - ALL will eventually corrode/bubble due to manufacturing process with raw aluminum under hinges - The fact is that NO PROCESSES have changed so you can expect same results
2) contamination under paint sealed in on aluminum panels and causing bubbles.
So basically the Entire Jeep is screwed?

Sponsored

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Bump,

anyone in the NYC/LI/ or NJ region have success in fixing this the right way?

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Anyone have pics of some really nasty runaway hinge corrosion to see how bad this could get if left alone? I guess we'll see more in a few years. Maybe just let it go if it can't be corrected properly, and wait for your first fender bender to get it take care of properly (bodyshop of your choice)as an add on.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
So basically the Entire Jeep is screwed?
Basically. However I do look at every jeeps hinges when I walk by them in parking lots etc and Iā€™ve never seen this in person. But, I also could be looking at jeeps that are only a year old. Iā€™ve only seen maybe 5 in person up close.

curious if anyone whoā€™s active with a jeep club hears about people talking about this issue.

regardless, Jeep has an inherent problem that is a matter of when, not if it will happen

also add that the bubbles on the hood, bottom of doors etc is completely unrelated to the hinge thing. Any car manufacture can have bubbling paint issues, it happens every now and then when a surface gets contaminated before painting.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Basically. However I do look at every jeeps hinges when I walk by them in parking lots etc and Iā€™ve never seen this in person. But, I also could be looking at jeeps that are only a year old. Iā€™ve only seen maybe 5 in person up close.

curious if anyone whoā€™s active with a jeep club hears about people talking about this issue.

regardless, Jeep has an inherent problem that is a matter of when, not if it will happen

also add that the bubbles on the hood, bottom of doors etc is completely unrelated to the hinge thing. Any car manufacture can have bubbling paint issues, it happens every now and then when a surface gets contaminated before painting.
I'm going to start looking at JLs up close when I see them starting now. Good idea. I think the real problem with this situation is the JL Wranglers have only been out since 2018. I have a bad feeling the corrosion can end up being much worse as the vehicles get much older. Who knows. Hopefully that's not the case. I wish Jeep would address this already.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Anyone have pics of some really nasty runaway hinge corrosion to see how bad this could get if left alone? I guess we'll see more in a few years. Maybe just let it go if it can't be corrected properly, and wait for your first fender bender to get it take care of properly (bodyshop of your choice)as an add on.
Here's a few. 2018 Billet. Went to dealership over a month ago, they took pictures, told me it may take a while, crickets. If I remember my count there are 8 places altogether on the doors and hinges.

20210924_181757.jpg

20210924_181823.jpg

Sponsored

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Here's a few. 2018 Billet. Went to dealership over a month ago, they took pictures, told me it may take a while, crickets. If I remember my count there are 8 places altogether on the doors and hinges.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20210924_181823

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20210924_181823
Did they fix it yet?

how did they fix the doors?

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Iā€™m confused. Why isnā€™t it approved? Itā€™s warranty
It's warranty, they just haven't got back to me. Said it may be 6 to 8 weeks. I've been around cars and body shop enough to know that Billet Silver or anything with metal flake in it will never match perfectly. Just hoping for the best. I hope they paint all four complete doors. We'll see.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
It's warranty, they just haven't got back to me. Said it may be 6 to 8 weeks. I've been around cars and body shop enough to know that Billet Silver or anything with metal flake in it will never match perfectly. Just hoping for the best. I hope they paint all four complete doors. We'll see.
to confirm,
The bubbling isnā€™t on ALL 4 doors right?
Sponsored