Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
According to the body shop that “fixed” my bubbled paint the problem is caused by the unpainted door against the unpainted door hung which is a potted material. The hinge is leaching something out that is causing the paint to bubble. The metal itself is intact. He recommended a gasket between the hinge and door to at least keep the paint from bubbling on the door and hood. So, I had a buddy make some on a 3D printer.
7627CC63-9F37-48F5-A075-497597D245B8.jpeg
DFA479E4-440F-4AB3-BEB9-A6ACB10C0F56.jpeg
B0359F18-5462-4061-9386-57A46404E799.jpeg
If its that simple (see above) why are we having these issues still and why isnt Jeep dealing with this the responsible way? I also have bubbles extending beyond my hinges to the door?

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Has anybody seen any Gladiators with this issue? Mine has been fine for the last 5 months. This issue was spreading fast on my JL. I am also part of the JT forum, but it's pretty dead over there and nobody has reported this issue.

I wonder if they are painted separate and somehow avoiding contamination. Maybe even updated the paint process on Gladiators. It was a huge issue with my 18' JL and that Wrangler had numerous issues with warranty claims. Clutch issues, Paint issues, hood insulator tore on its own, and some other issues I didnt get a chance to report.
People are saying 2018+. When did they change the hinges vs doors?

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
According to the body shop that “fixed” my bubbled paint the problem is caused by the unpainted door against the unpainted door hung which is a potted material. The hinge is leaching something out that is causing the paint to bubble. The metal itself is intact. He recommended a gasket between the hinge and door to at least keep the paint from bubbling on the door and hood. So, I had a buddy make some on a 3D printer.
7627CC63-9F37-48F5-A075-497597D245B8.jpeg
DFA479E4-440F-4AB3-BEB9-A6ACB10C0F56.jpeg
B0359F18-5462-4061-9386-57A46404E799.jpeg
Well lets hop to it- sell those and All wrangler owners 2018+ will prob make him rich or noone will buy Wranglers - ouch that hurt!!!!!!

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
If its that simple (see above) why are we having these issues still and why isnt Jeep dealing with this the responsible way? I also have bubbles extending beyond my hinges to the door?
I wouldn’t be shocked if the plant isn’t exactly clean in the paint area and have various metal dust getting all over the body before paint.

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Why won’t they just paint the door under the hinge? Or at least prime it?
Another route would be to carefully mask and clear coat each contact surface before the corrosion takes hold. That should take care of it for good as long as you don't use anything from a rattle can.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm not sure inserting a spacer while breaking the paint seal is any better than factory. I agree putting a separator is the smart play, but it needs to be sealed up with a coat of paint.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I'm not sure inserting a spacer while breaking the paint seal is any better than factory. I agree putting a separator is the smart play, but it needs to be sealed up with a coat of paint.
That why if I decide to remove the hinges and break the factory paint to apply some PS870. I would order all new hinges and have them powder coated black or something. I think it would be way overkill, but look sweet at the same time.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
That why if I decide to remove the hinges and break the factory paint to apply some PS870. I would order all new hinges and have them powder coated black or something. I think it would be way overkill, but look sweet at the same time.
That would look good with the sting. I may do the same.

Sponsored

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've had hinge bubbling, but also door panels are bubbling not anywhere close to any hinge. I suspect that aluminum panels are pressed in steel forms or molds and the metal dust/wear is staying on the panel before painting. This is likely causing the chemical reaction causing the de-bonding of paint. Seems like metal prep before paint might be the area to change?

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I've had hinge bubbling, but also door panels are bubbling not anywhere close to any hinge. I suspect that aluminum panels are pressed in steel forms or molds and the metal dust/wear is staying on the panel before painting. This is likely causing the chemical reaction causing the de-bonding of paint. Seems like metal prep before paint might be the area to change?
Interesting hypothesis. What explains the reoccurrence of this issue when it has been fixed? There may be some poor repairs, but not that many.

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Is Ford having issues they use aluminum ….

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I wouldn’t be shocked if the plant isn’t exactly clean in the paint area and have various metal dust getting all over the body before paint.
Well why cant they provide us quality when we pay high buck!
Sponsored