First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I tend to believe this statement, does anyone have pictures of the view were the bolts attaches from inside the doors ?

There must be a steel plate for the bolts to bolt in…
Like this? They’re floating nuts/backing plate Might have a different technical name lol. It’s all one piece… when one side goes up, other goes down.

They have lots of play in them, and feel like they’re going to fall down when you take both bolts out, but they don’t. I sprayed the shit out of them with fluid film and put it all back together.

Note that if you spray a lot of something in there, it will get on the windows when you roll them up/down. Eventually goes away

DE0FCAC6-A5E6-41B6-B7B5-21B9BBF31C99.jpeg
Sponsored

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Washed the jeep over the weekend and noticed small bubbles in the paint at one of the rear door hinges. I am over a year and have roughly 27k miles.They are hard underneath and the paint is not loose and pretty sure they were not there last time i washed the vehicle. It cant be rust under the paint since the doors are aluminum. All other hinges are fine. Has anyone seen this issue?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges DE0FCAC6-A5E6-41B6-B7B5-21B9BBF31C99
My 2018 14000 miles- parked inside - have those same bubbles on all door hinges and doors. They are sending me to Abra today. If this is Under the paint thats from the inside out so a bondo/paint job isnt a fix! Many newer jeeps having this issue! Wouldnt a recall be in order? As this is a terrible turn for JEEP in general- this is my 2nd wrangler- my 1999 doesnt have any corrosion issues! Jeep recall time go online the nhsa and report your paint issues people this is expensive!

dtown1974

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
For anyone interested good article below. Since the issues with the JL likely stem from the 1.) joint where the door gets light paint where the hinge blends to it and underneath the hinge/door panel surfaces (unpainted) and 2.) the potential for a galvanic interaction between the steel bolt and cage nut and the aluminum door/hinge, or worst case 3.) both, I don't see a good way out of the issue. As mentioned earlier in this thread, large build up (normal paint layer may not seem large, but it can still compress over time) of paint on both the door where the hinge mounts and on the back-side of the hinge can/may contribute to loss of the joint integrity and loosening of the bolts. My opinion is better painted well than not painted, understanding all the reasons why its not done from the factory (cost, damage once painted, past assy line sequence of operations).This also has to be done with correct prep. no starting oxide layer just before primer paint, minimal/no moisture in paint equipment, like the article states. Once the aluminum surfaces are properly addressed/painted then you have to be sure the bolt and the cage nut in the door have the right coatings on them. I imagine our factory parts have some level of coating on them, but it may not be robust enough for higher moisture/colder weather climates or it may rub/wear off just enough in the assy process of the doors. Keeping in mind that some moisture greatly accelerates any effect on either minimally painted/unpainted aluminum to corrode, its understandable why in colder climates with rain/snow/salt, we see vehicles have this occur more quickly (mine after 5-6k miles evident first on the tailgate hinges where exhaust gases into moisture may make the corrosive effects worse) whereas in the SW/West, perhaps not yet, but eventually all should see some level of this effect. Even some humidity, car washes, etc. would bring it out over enough time. Its even mentioned above that corrosion protection spray into the cage nuts also shows up on the windows, so rain/wash water on the windows will make it down to the back side of those cage nuts. I'm in for the fix at 19k miles for all hinges (the rear door lower then upper were the first door hinges after my tailgate to show the issue). Hood just starting. I'm pretty good about cleaning and even lubing the door studs and nuts. We'll see how long it lasts.
https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/...orrosion-what-it-is-and-what-you-need-to-know

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Like this? They’re floating nuts/backing plate Might have a different technical name lol. It’s all one piece… when one side goes up, other goes down.

They have lots of play in them, and feel like they’re going to fall down when you take both bolts out, but they don’t. I sprayed the shit out of them with fluid film and put it all back together.

Note that if you spray a lot of something in there, it will get on the windows when you roll them up/down. Eventually goes away

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 246439C9-EBA1-4A32-B3A7-2DF55082CA43
So we brought my 2018 in today- the abra guy says Jeep is well aware and that there are numerous issues- its the paint! He is going to seal and do a ton of things to the doors hinges … 🤞🏻

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
So we brought my 2018 in today- the abra guy says Jeep is well aware and that there are numerous issues- its the paint! He is going to seal and do a ton of things to the doors hinges … 🤞🏻
Glad they’re taking care of it for you, curious to hear what their fix is! Let us know

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Back on 6/28 I took my Jeep into dealer #1 so that the paint warranty claim could be filed. I have not heard anything back yet on if they have submitted the claim to Chrysler. I have sent 4 emails asking for an update with no reply.

On Friday 8/13, I took my Jeep to dealer #2 to try the same process somewhere else. They were extremely helpful and talked me through the process. Hoping that I get a better result here!
Dealer #1 got back to me. Apparently the service manager dropped the ball on this one and never submitted the paperwork... What is strange is they said the dealership has been temporarily upgraded by Chrysler to 'platinum status' or something to that effect where they can make paint corrections w/o getting prior Chrysler approval? IDK what that means but I go in Thursday to get a ball joint replaced and an estimate for when they can get me on the schedule for the paint correction.

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Painting it or bondo is NOT a fix. Its from the inside out
Abra shop guy advised the many steps they take to fix this problem and shouldnt have the problem after its completed. He agreed Jeep shouldve known metal on aluminum doors will create paint issues unless THEY do the steps Abra has been doing to fix this- hmmmmm cheaper isnt better. Just pisses off loyal JEEP people! So JEEP 2018+ jeeps will have this issue- fix it now recall and take the proper steps! Its YOUR product! Its your face!

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Glad they’re taking care of it for you, curious to hear what their fix is! Let us know
For sure I had my hubby bust chops since they wouldnt take me serious! Hes a mopar freak and he asked 1.5 mill ?s …

Sting-Gray AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, Sting-Gray
I’m going to my dealership 8/18/21 to have my 2018 JL Sahara evaluated.
All 4 doors are affected.
32,000 miles
garaged.
I’ll let you know what they say.
Pic of Driver door
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 246439C9-EBA1-4A32-B3A7-2DF55082CA43
Took mine in today. Service manager helped me understand the problem and my options.
It was metal on metal and the original thought was the paint would be enough to prevent oxidation. Obviously it didn’t. I could have left it and pick it in 5-6 business days.
The warranty covers the body for 5 years. I asked if the warranty resets for the repaired hinges. He said no.

So I decided to wait until I get closer to April 2023 (5 years) in case more hinges break out and they get any bugs out of the fix. If the bubbles really start to bother me I’ll get back in line sooner. (I had to go through 3 steering stabilizers before that problem was solved)
He did not have to reach out to Jeep for any approval.

copying @JeepCares to document this issue.

Sponsored

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
The d
Took mine in today. Service manager helped me understand the problem and my options.
It was metal on metal and the original thought was the paint would be enough to prevent oxidation. Obviously it didn’t. I could have left it and pick it in 5-6 business days.
The warranty covers the body for 5 years. I asked if the warranty resets for the repaired hinges. He said no.

So I decided to wait until I get closer to April 2023 (5 years) in case more hinges break out and they get any bugs out of the fix. If the bubbles really start to bother me I’ll get back in line sooner. (I had to go through 3 steering stabilizers before that problem was solved)

The doors are aluminum

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp

I would do the exact opposite. Get it fixed asap to prevent more corrosion and see if it happens again before the warranty is up. You don't want to give them an excuse to deny your claim. If it gets far worse, that's just negligence. You're letting the corrosion spread further.

Sting-Gray AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, Sting-Gray
I would do the exact opposite. Get it fixed asap to prevent more corrosion and see if it happens again before the warranty is up. You don't want to give them an excuse to deny your claim. If it gets far worse, that's just negligence. You're letting the corrosion spread further.
Excellent point. Thanks!