Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I think that would be a stretch; even the corrosion warranty only covers rust-through of panels.
Sponsored

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Exactly... it's a different story for me these days when someone at the gas station says "Oh, I love your Jeepā€”how do you like it?"... I want to sing it's praises, but after the paint nightmares I've had I feel just plain evil if I give them the whole "Oh, I love it so much" song and dance.
I tell people straight up one guy at was looking to get one for his wife I said donā€™t do it. I love my Jeep but paint issue in a year not my thing. Another of my co works sister has one and the corrosion is so bad the paint is starting to come off. Donā€™t let people spend money fall in love with a car do have all this problems

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
That is sadly common across multiple brands; I've seen the paint do similar things on Buicks, Chevys, Chryslers, Dodges, Fords, Jeeps, Nissans, Oldsmobiles, Saturns and Toyotas.
Just because other manufacturers have crappy paint jobs, doesnt make it ok for Jeep to do the same.

Sponsored

mpogca

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red JLU RUBICON
Well I just joined the Corrosion Club today. 2019 JLUR Firecracker Red, 34,900 miles. Took to dealership today and they took their photos of all hinges and sent me to a collision repair place for an estimate to be sent to them. When I went in, I told then I had a Jeep Wrangler and was sent by the dealership. Right away he stated, corrosion on the hinges??? Well at least they have experience. Standing by.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Well I just joined the Corrosion Club today. 2019 JLUR Firecracker Red, 34,900 miles. Took to dealership today and they took their photos of all hinges and sent me to a collision repair place for an estimate to be sent to them. When I went in, I told then I had a Jeep Wrangler and was sent by the dealership. Right away he stated, corrosion on the hinges??? Well at least they have experience. Standing by.
good luck, let us know how they fix it

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I didn't say that, I said I've seen it across multiple vehicle manufacturers, which makes me wonder if it's a paint issue rather than an automaker issue.
Poor paint prep, and bad design. You don't attach aluminum with ferrous metals, unless you do a good job isolating the two, with some barrier.

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
The problem with paint today compared to paint from the 60s and 70s that held up is the material that it is mixed with we wanted to be more Environmental friendly so the paint itself is not as good plus it is thinner then it use to be cheaper faster easy to produce means more money. Lean manufacturing is the name of the game

Sponsored

VinnyV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 6 speed
I just received the go ahead to repaint my 2018 hinges, almost out of warranty now. I am hearing that the corrosion likely will come back soon anyway. I plan to keep the Jeep for a long time so I may just skip the whole repaint affair, saving time and potential colors matching risks. Anyone else doing this??

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I just received the go ahead to repaint my 2018 hinges, almost out of warranty now. I am hearing that the corrosion likely will come back soon anyway. I plan to keep the Jeep for a long time so I may just skip the whole repaint affair, saving time and potential colors matching risks. Anyone else doing this??
depending on the corrosion, id try to do this yourself if theyre telling you itll come back anyway. that tells me they arent removing anything prior to paint.

either repaint your current hinges or buy new ones, quadratec has really nice ones that look oem but are zinc die cast. i get that we have warranties and jeep should pay for it, which i agree and this issue quite honestly sucks.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
exactly what I am doing.

WhiteElk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL TwoDoor
I experienced paint bubbling adjacent one passenger door hinge and one hood hinge. I spoke with one dealer who said that they could not assess since they do not have a paint shop. I tried another dealer and they took photos, submitted the issue to MOPAR and after a few weeks (due to service advisor having contracted Covid-19), they phoned with an approval to re-paint the affected panels. I verified that the paint shop was certified for aluminum body work and dropped the car off. The job took a week but was done to my satisfaction. I'm relieved that MOPAR took care of this.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I emailed my contact at FCA and told them to transfer mine to another dealer. I am tired of waiting for this shit to be done. I have to go get mine today and drop it off at the new body shop on Monday. The new shop is aluminum certified.
Sponsored