Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

smoothdurban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I had noticed this on mine last fall with less then a year of ownership and less then 10k miles around all the door hinges.

The dealer submitted the claim and said it was approved but when I inquired into what the repair would be they said the would clean and repaint the area.

Since the dealer doesn't have a paint shop I can only assume this will be outsourced to another local shop.

I read through nearly 30 pages of this thread and seen that some people had the repair performed only to have the issue return.

I would of thought new hinges / sheet metal would of been the proper way to address this

I wanted to get some input on what some you think is the best way to have this issue resolved.

I know when I have restored older vehicles treating rusted areas has to be done correctly or else it will return.

I am not comfortable with "some shop" repairing it I would prefer to be in contact with the actual people who do the repair as opposed to a dealer acting like a middleman.

Should / Can I take my vehicle to another deal that does have a paint shop?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_4612[1].JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_4613[1].JPG
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I had noticed this on mine last fall with less then a year of ownership and less then 10k miles around all the door hinges.

The dealer submitted the claim and said it was approved but when I inquired into what the repair would be they said the would clean and repaint the area.

Since the dealer doesn't have a paint shop I can only assume this will be outsourced to another local shop.

I read through nearly 30 pages of this thread and seen that some people had the repair performed only to have the issue return.

I would of thought new hinges / sheet metal would of been the proper way to address this

I wanted to get some input on what some you think is the best way to have this issue resolved.

I know when I have restored older vehicles treating rusted areas has to be done correctly or else it will return.

I am not comfortable with "some shop" repairing it I would prefer to be in contact with the actual people who do the repair as opposed to a dealer acting like a middleman.

IMG_4612[1].JPG

IMG_4613[1].JPG
I’d take it to a reputable body/paint guy and ask the dealer if fca will reimburse you up to the amount that the repair would have costed them if they were to repair it for you. The tsb for this doesn’t explicitly say to remove the door hinges and protect the bare metal underneath, so it’ll come back for sure, just like it has to many people just on this thread. Unless I’m missing something with the tsb.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
From what I have gathered, all the contaminated parts need to be cleaned or replaced. Simply grinding everything down, repainting and throwing it all back together supposedly isn’t the fix. Two aluminum panels are linked by a dissimilar metal (steel) that reacts when salt and water come into contact with the steel. It is my understanding that the bolts should definitely be replaced if contaminated. The new hardware should be coated with dielectric grease to prevent a reaction from happening again

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
The Jeep went down to the dealer today had the paint inspection done they are sending it to fca. When talking about it to the the girl up front it’s like it was going to the dentist and for a routine cleaning. What are you here for. Me paint work on my Jeep told her 2018 wrangle. boss in the back says is it hinges I say yep. The kicker is I was talking to one of the painters that did the inspection and they have a lot in the shop. He also said the had one in there getting 2 drive side hinges done while they prep and paint the driver side the passenger side the passenger side started to corrode over a 3 day period.. which is very weird

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
The Jeep went down to the dealer today had the paint inspection done they are sending it to fca. When talking about it to the the girl up front it’s like it was going to the dentist and for a routine cleaning. What are you here for. Me paint work on my Jeep told her 2018 wrangle. boss in the back says is it hinges I say yep. The kicker is I was talking to one of the painters that did the inspection and they have a lot in the shop. He also said the had one in there getting 2 drive side hinges done while they prep and paint the driver side the passenger side the passenger side started to corrode over a 3 day period.. which is very weird
I have visited the bodyshop that worked on mine as the corrosion came back 6 weeks after all 4 doors were repainted. Going through it again. I wonder what the solution is going to be this time. Are they repainting (I really hope not) or replacing the doors (favorable option)?! We'll see it soon.

See the picture below, this whole thing has developed in 6 weeks. The total width is 5 inches.

8.jpg

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 8

I am still waiting to decide what to do with mine........Once they start sanding/touching up it will NEVER be the same. Can't wait to see what it looks like after this winter with all the brine and salt they've been using here. SUCKS to have a new vehicle and be going through this.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hey, smoothdurban. We see you sent us a private message, our team will work with you there regarding this concern.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
I have visited the bodyshop that worked on mine as the corrosion came back 6 weeks after all 4 doors were repainted. Going through it again. I wonder what the solution is going to be this time. Are they repainting (I really hope not) or replacing the doors (favorable option)?! We'll see it soon.

See the picture below, this whole thing has developed in 6 weeks. The total width is 5 inches.

8.jpg

Talked to the head guy for the auto body he said if the paint is not blister (holes in the paint) Jeep will not replace the body panels just fill and Respray so probably keep coming back because what ever reaction with the aluminum will always be there. Also the grand Cherokee or Cherokee it’s the hoods that are a problem he was saying

smoothdurban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR

LastMango

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon (replaced 2018 JLU Sport S)
I have to tell you this makes me sick because I know this is gonna be a ongoing issue and as much as I love my Jeep I’m not sure if I want to deal
Heard. My 2018 has already been in for repaints 3 times. I went through Jeep Cares, then corporate, but as far as I can tell, they're still calling my case an "isolated incident". A "one-of-a-kind" issue. Yeah. Now I'm just watching the calendar & waiting for my turn-in date (I leased). I wanted a Jeep so badly for years & years, and this is my very first. I love it. I mean—I did. I really did. My ownership experience has been awful though & this "bubbling" paint thing is a real downer.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
My 2014 JKU had the same issue, dealer repainted it, looked worse than the bubbles, should not have let them attempt to repair it.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Heard. My 2018 has already been in for repaints 3 times. I went through Jeep Cares, then corporate, but as far as I can tell, they're still calling my case an "isolated incident". A "one-of-a-kind" issue. Yeah. Now I'm just watching the calendar & waiting for my turn-in date (I leased). I wanted a Jeep so badly for years & years, and this is my very first. I love it. I mean—I did. I really did. My ownership experience has been awful though & this "bubbling" paint thing is a real downer.
Sucks right? Just kind of brings down your mood and puts a bad taste in your mouth.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Are you going to lease another Jeep ?

frostai

First Name
Tristani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Get ready guys, this is a good one. Took my Jeep into get the hood and doors painted 4 week ago. Third party painted it, cringed at this fact when they told me. Was very adamant about removing and correctly painting the door under the hinges, removing the handles and the rubber trim in the windows. You can already see where this is going.... So I picked it up today and voila:
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20210219_170426

As you can see, some assembly is still required, the inner side of the passenger door is bare aluminum, handles have paint ridges cause they weren't removed, hood is also metal on the inside, has dried drops and imperfections on the latches, they didn't remove the rubber trim so it also has new paint line visible.

In short pictures speak for themselves. No worries @JeepCares, already have a case number.

20210219_161039.jpg

20210219_170221.jpg

20210219_170240.jpg

20210219_170320.jpg

20210219_170335.jpg

20210219_170346.jpg

20210219_170359.jpg

20210219_170519.jpg

20210219_170721.jpg

20210219_172108.jpg

Inked20210219_170259_LI.jpg

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
Oh man, I feel you... This happened to me too. Missing plastic clips, hanging trim, bare aluminium on the edges, they tore the door harness, hanging door handles, stripped bolts...and extremely dirty all around. Black leather seats covered in thick, I mean thick dust. Rejected it, sent it back. Next time they did a better job, however, going in for the third time. JeepCares is very helpful, but when will this end?!

Get ready guys, this is a good one. Took my Jeep into get the hood and doors painted 4 week ago. Third party painted it, cringed at this fact when they told me. Was very adamant about removing and correctly painting the door under the hinges, removing the handles and the rubber trim in the windows. You can already see where this is going.... So I picked it up today and voila:
20210219_170426.jpg

As you can see, some assembly is still required, the inner side of the passenger door is bare aluminum, handles have paint ridges cause they weren't removed, hood is also metal on the inside, has dried drops and imperfections on the latches, they didn't remove the rubber trim so it also has new paint line visible.

In short pictures speak for themselves. No worries @JeepCares, already have a case number.

20210219_161039.jpg

20210219_170221.jpg

20210219_170240.jpg

20210219_170320.jpg

20210219_170335.jpg

20210219_170346.jpg

20210219_170359.jpg

20210219_170519.jpg

20210219_170721.jpg

20210219_172108.jpg

Inked20210219_170259_LI.jpg
Sponsored