Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
On mine, The dealership repainted the existing door panel and hinge. Because they have to blend the paint, it wound being pretty much the entire door. The corrosion is coming back and it's now also starting to appear on the other door. This time I will insist that they replace the both doors and paint under the hinges.
Thanks for the info, I'll fight for straight up replacement then, hopefully it goes smoothly, however I am waiting for the other shoe to drop with the doors and hood.
Sponsored

tsexton105

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
Hi @tsexton105,

We're sorry to learn that you've had delays in getting this repaired. Please send our team a DM with your VIN, mileage, and dealer so that we can look into this further.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Hi @JeepCares ,

I will send you vehicle specific info directly. My wife and I have purchased 7 Jeeps in the last 8 years......never imagined having such a massive issue with a 2 year, 13k mile car with a $50k price tag. Furthermore, cannot believe it has been well over a month and repairs have yet to begin. I don't think there is a way to make this right, and I imagine this will impact future car buying decisions. The dealer is now talking about replacement of all four doors, hinges, and repainting the rear gate. They say it's the worst paint job they have ever seen.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
Here’s mine. I wonder how does the dealer preps the aluminium prior painting, to ensure that it doesn’t reoccur???

I wonder if installing Derlin hinge bushings would break the conductivity thus reducing the corrosion/ oxidation???

DCB9AA31-025F-4081-8027-78A5F87571BD.jpeg
I too thought bushings its gaskets would help, assuming hinge was steel and door panel aluminum. But the door side of the hinge is also aluminum. I’m guessing the annode/cathode galvanic reaction is due to the steel bolts or hinge-pillars.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I took mine to the dealer on Tuesday. They said they're painting about two a week, and there was 15 jeeps ahead of me with the same problem.

B_rad1969

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
I saw this thread yesterday and I checked my '18. Yup paint is starting to bubble.

Sponsored

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm dropping my rig off tomorrow at my local dealer to have all the door hinges re-painted. Paint is bubbling on all of them. They have seen the issue several times and took pics and sent them to FCA for verification. Got a response in 24 hours. I will be without my Jeep for the entire week and they are providing me with a loaner. I am also having the steering box TSB done at this time.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm willing to be that dealers will start to be even more back logged with these repairs, as they find new wranglers in their sales inventory with the same issue.

LastMango

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon (replaced 2018 JLU Sport S)
For those who have had their issues fixed, did you have it repainted or ask for replacement parts? Trying to figure out the best course of action.
My dealer in West Palm Beach, FL (Arrigo) hasn't been too keen on replacing anything. I brought it up once, and they said "we'll start with repainting". Of course, as luck would have it, hinges that were painted in July have begun corroding again, along with a few new ones so my JL is currently in the shop (third time for paint) to have those areas repainted. Again. I got JeepCares involved, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything at this point. A fix for corrosion here seems to be a simple refinish & repaint.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer in West Palm Beach, FL (Arrigo) hasn't been too keen on replacing anything. I brought it up once, and they said "we'll start with repainting". Of course, as luck would have it, hinges that were painted in July have begun corroding again, along with a few new ones so my JL is currently in the shop (third time for paint) to have those areas repainted. Again. I got JeepCares involved, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything at this point. A fix for corrosion here seems to be a simple refinish & repaint.
Hate to say it, but probably r&r to kick can down the road until it gets out of warranty coverage, and then it's the owners problem (and cost). Not confident there will be a permanent fix for us.

Now my tailgate hinges showing the issue, worse than the doors. Waiting to take it in probably until spring now to see how much worse winter makes it.

CJJLUR78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Willys, and previously owner of a 85 CJ-7
I've had similar conversations with my dealer. They have been extremely helpful overall and are trying to accommodate where they can. They have a backlog (mostly '18-'19s Wranglers and GCs), but they are only doing paint repairs. With the extent of bubbling on my doors by the seams and hinges plus my hood I don't feel confident that this will fix the problem long term. I am looking at other options at this point given @JeepCares hasn't even respond on this topic in a while.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I've had similar conversations with my dealer. They have been extremely helpful overall and are trying to accommodate where they can. They have a backlog (mostly '18-'19s Wranglers and GCs), but they are only doing paint repairs. With the extent of bubbling on my doors by the seams and hinges plus my hood I don't feel confident that this will fix the problem long term. I am looking at other options at this point given @JeepCares hasn't even respond on this topic in a while.
Jeep Cares??? Laughable. If FCA really cared, they would stop this BS and have their dealerships fix them right, then offer a decent extended warranty on their work, and future chance the corrosion will show up again.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer is also Arrigo. They did my Passenger side door about 6 mos ago and the corrosion is beginning to come back. However, I'm waiting to bring it back to the dealer because It looks like it's also now starting on the Drivers door.

Last edited:

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Dropped my jeep off today, they say it will take 2 weeks, maybe more if it is really bad. They said they will separate the hinge from the door and isolate the two metals with a special primer and then repaint. All four doors and a hood respray. Set me up with a 2020 Cherokee Trail Hawk for a loner. Not bad.

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just dropped mine off. My dealer said it was a primer and prep issue. They will have my rig for 5 days
Sponsored