Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Tried yet another dealer to get my paint issue acknowledged and/or scheduled for repair…

I was told because I didn’t purchase my Jeep from them, they wouldn’t be able to get me in by the time my corrosion warranty expires next March.

I really don’t know what to do at this point..
That shouldn't matter. If the problem is recognized prior to expiry, warranty still applies.
Sponsored

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I was under that impression. I even let the service advisor know I wouldn’t mind waiting however long, I just wanted to get it documented and get put in the “line.”
She declined.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Perhaps try calling the 800 number in your book and complain.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Washed the jeep over the weekend and noticed small bubbles in the paint at one of the rear door hinges. I am over a year and have roughly 27k miles.They are hard underneath and the paint is not loose and pretty sure they were not there last time i washed the vehicle. It cant be rust under the paint since the doors are aluminum. All other hinges are fine. Has anyone seen this issue?

7BBAFBCE-A498-4C9D-A44E-5ACE0C7E028D.jpeg
Aluminum can in fact, corrode. Whether it's aluminum oxide, which under the paint it probably isn't. But it could be filiform corrosion, which comes from improper paint treatment and happens when the paint starts separating from the surface. Or, even more likely - galvanic corrosion. Which happens with dissimilar metals. The difference between the atoms at a molecular level can move between the metals and cause corrosion.
You are right that it isn't rust though. Rust is specifically iron oxide.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I was under that impression. I even let the service advisor know I wouldn’t mind waiting however long, I just wanted to get it documented and get put in the “line.”
She declined.
Same thing happened to me when we called to get it documented. They told me they had no openings until the spring . I wanted it looked at now. They said no.
too much of a nightmare. My Jeep is gone now. I traded it in because I didn’t want to deal with the BS.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kahunadave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Etorque; 2015 GrCherokee ltd 2wd
Occupation
Auto Lending
Tried yet another dealer to get my paint issue acknowledged and/or scheduled for repair…

I was told because I didn’t purchase my Jeep from them, they wouldn’t be able to get me in by the time my corrosion warranty expires next March.

I really don’t know what to do at this point..
Is this the same Dealership you get your Jeep serviced at? If it is.. go and try to speak with the General Mgr. (Im assuming you’re getting brushed off by the service mgr). Explain to the GM that you have your vehicle serviced there, what the issue is and that you dont feel you are being treated fairly. Usually GMs are very Professional and care about Customer issues. If for some reason you dont get any results with the GM,, try and find out who the Owner is (usually you can look this up on your State Business website) and send them certified Letter complaining about their Management. Being a pain in the ass sometimes gets results.

Im finding even regular Service and Parts people are asswipes sometimes to deal with. Its unfortunate but i dont think Domestic manufacturers are pushing the same 5Star service they were 10-15 years ago.

spenat

First Name
nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sting grey JLUR
Clubs

just noticed the bubbles are coming back on the tailgate

last time it took 11 weeks to get it fixed (all 12 hinges then)

so bummed

brynamic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
I should’ve known it wouldn’t be 3-4 days. 16 days today and no eta when they’ll have it done. What’s most frustrating is I wait all summer for this early fall weather and I’m stuck with a Ram 1500. It’s nice putting miles on someone else’s vehicle but none of those miles have been fun!

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
just noticed the bubbles are coming back on the tailgate

last time it took 11 weeks to get it fixed (all 12 hinges then)

so bummed
11 weeks. Geez! That’s insane

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
Spenat - The corrosion is back already? How long since you had it fixed?

Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I should’ve known it wouldn’t be 3-4 days. 16 days today and no eta when they’ll have it done. What’s most frustrating is I wait all summer for this early fall weather and I’m stuck with a Ram 1500. It’s nice putting miles on someone else’s vehicle but none of those miles have been fun!
I dropped mine off at the dealer last week, after waiting about 5 weeks for them to get me a slot at their contract body shop. Called the body shop that is doing the work yesterday and they haven't even started on it yet. Said they "might" get to it by the end of this week or early next week. The way they explained it to me was that they work on the Jeeps that come to them from this dealer when they have time so the "appointment" that the dealer gives you is informative and decorative only. At least the dealer put me in a '22 Grand Cherokee loaner until mine is out of the shop.

spenat

First Name
nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sting grey JLUR
Clubs

Spenat - The corrosion is back already? How long since you had it fixed?

April 2022, so 6 months on the tailgate, two very small spots but there are there,

they also missed one spot on the hood which is a bit bigger now also

JEEPGIRL117

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
i am confused--did you have the car repaired by someone else instead of going through the dealer first?
I took the car to my local jeep dealership which is who and how I was approved for the warranty work to get it repainted. My local jeep however does not have a body shop on site to do the work so they sublet the work out to their "trusted partner shop" which was across the street and who actually did the work. Still fighting with jeep to reimburse me for my rental for the 17 days but was able to have somebody repoen my case so I could submit additional paperwork that disproved why they denied me. Fingers crossed this gets somewhere.