Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have been a Jeep guy forever and love my JLR 2dr. However, If I had the money I would buy a new 2dr bronco if they put a 302 in it. A 302 Bronco would definitely dent the hell out of Wrangler, couple that with real customer service and trained techs, what a concept. I would have both in my garage.
I have to admit, a 302 would be sweet.
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They seem to have a full belly skid (or maybe they did that just for this trip)...but I noticed the driver had the front locker off on that last belly dragging section in the 1st video and had to be told to turn it on.

I don't know that this video showed why SFA is superior though.....you'd almost need to follow the 2 dr Bronco with a stock 2 dr JL over the same or harder lines to really illustrate that. From what I could tell.....it appeared the Bronco's travel is similar to the JL's....in that neither are really impressive by aftermarket standards but are adequate for this level of wheeling and for a factory offering. I think that was pretty well illustrated in this video....at 55 seconds in....

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/data/video/20/20939-1947ed0f4a096c5775c1cff4d1cc7fad.mp4
Agree they didn't seem like particularly experienced drivers. But in various places it definitely lifted a tire where a Rubi with sway bar disconnected would not have. While it's contact pressure and traction that ultimately move a vehicle, 4 tires on the ground is almost ALWAYS better than 3.

If they change course and offer a 7 speed Sasquatch with 2.7, I would use my kids college fund to park one in my driveway next to my JL, not for off-road prowess but for on-road fun. But as the model lineup currently looks, no thank You

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What they did with the 7-speed is smart. It's not really a 7-speed in practical terms because you can only use 6 speeds on the road. So, on road it's going to be identical to the Jeep. But by using the transmission to do the crawl gear instead of the t-case like on the Rubicon Jeeps, they can technically call it a 7-speed and convince people who don't think for themselves that they've got something Jeep doesn't have. Brilliant.

The IFS is going to be inherently more trouble as time passes and guys keep beating it on the trail, it's going to be more expensive to lift properly, and we've already seen that it doesn't flex as well. Ford can keep posting "who needs solid axles?" on their social media, but they aren't fooling people who think for themselves.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
What they did with the 7-speed is smart. It's not really a 7-speed in practical terms because you can only use 6 speeds on the road. So, on road it's going to be identical to the Jeep. But by using the transmission to do the crawl gear instead of the t-case like on the Rubicon Jeeps, they can technically call it a 7-speed and convince people who don't think for themselves that they've got something Jeep doesn't have. Brilliant.

The IFS is going to be inherently more trouble as time passes and guys keep beating it on the trail, it's going to be more expensive to lift properly, and we've already seen that it doesn't flex as well. Ford can keep posting "who needs solid axles?" on their social media, but they aren't fooling people who think for themselves.
Many (most?) drivers don’t need solid axles.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I have a problem with that highlighted statement. Your buddy shouldn't have had to do anything, they should have given you credit from the start and not act like Ford invited them to come and capture the whole thing.
Yeah, kind of ticked me off too. Would have been alright if they just left the videos as my buddy's post, but they deleted his post and turned it into their own admin post with the watermarking and whatnot. I'm not their damn field reporter, they're just lucky I've got a buddy on the Bronco pre-order list who also happens to be on their forum. My stuff is on TFL and Car and Driver now too! lol

Sponsored

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, kind of ticked me off too. Would have been alright if they just left the videos as my buddy's post, but they deleted his post and turned it into their own admin post with the watermarking and whatnot. I'm not their damn field reporter, they're just lucky I've got a buddy on the Bronco pre-order list who also happens to be on their forum. My stuff is on TFL and Car and Driver now too! lol
You're a better man than me, I'd be going after folks using my stuff without permission.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
looks like great competition for the Xterra

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
That hurt my head to watch. I don’t think the drivers understand basic instruction. It really is cool to see something different crawling around but Fords got a ways to go. Jeeps look so much more refined doing their thing. Those broncos look like a teenagers first time..........

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Vehicle capability is important but is not a substitute for driver or spotter skill set. At the end of the day, making it thru the trail is what’s important. Those who seemingly over obsess ford vs Jeep will most likely never go beyond pavement and we won’t find these people in places like the Rubicon trail.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
+100 on those skids. No way I thought they could drag themselves over with three tires hanging.

In all, good videos of why the SFA in our Wranglers are simply superior for that type of trail
They seem to have a full belly skid (or maybe they did that just for this trip)...but I noticed the driver had the front locker off on that last belly dragging section in the 1st video and had to be told to turn it on.

I don't know that this video showed why SFA is superior though.....you'd almost need to follow the 2 dr Bronco with a stock 2 dr JL over the same or harder lines to really illustrate that. From what I could tell.....it appeared the Bronco's travel is similar to the JL's....in that neither are really impressive by aftermarket standards but are adequate for this level of wheeling and for a factory offering. I think that was pretty well illustrated in this video....at 55 seconds in....

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/data/video/20/20939-1947ed0f4a096c5775c1cff4d1cc7fad.mp4
What stuck out to me, and seemed to happen frequently in these clips, was how easy the front wheels would spin while still contacting the ground.

The articulation benefits of SFA over IFS is commonly mentioned, but these showed how its also a benefit having the added down pressure on the drooped side courtesy of the more stuffed side. It clearly looked like traction decreases on a quickly declining scale, as soon as that specific front wheel starts drooping from normal ride height. At least in the way I'm seeing it, lockers will be needed a whole lot sooner and more often than doing the same line in an equally equipped Rubicon.

What are your guys thoughts?

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Vehicle capability is important but is not a substitute for driver or spotter skill set. At the end of the day, making it thru the trail is what’s important. Those who seemingly over obsess ford vs Jeep will most likely never go beyond pavement and we won’t find these people in places like the Rubicon trail.
You make a fantastic point. I am big enough and adult enough to admit that the likelihood of me ever doing trails like that are similar to the chances of me winning the lotto. Btw I do not buy lotto tickets. Lol.

My Jeep is my DD and I love it.

I am also big enough to admit that I did not purchase my Jeep to allow me to live on top of mount BS. So many people bicker and point out how model X can do whatever so much better than model Y.

My view. Buy what you want and enjoy it. If that means rugged trails that few even venture on to, fantastic!!!! If your enjoyment is simple daily drives in the country, fantastic!!!! The second one, is the category that I fall into. Personally.... got to hand it Ford. They are trying to get back into a very niche market. Think of all the folks that own a wrangler.... of them, I would guess a relatively small % EVER have them off road any further than their yard!!!!! And guess what.... if it’s theirs. Great for them. Also in my opinion, Jeep has been doing what they do since they were developed in ‘41. So I say, welcome Ford back. Competition drives innovation.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
As Mr. Kevin noted, all 3 Bronco's got through the Rubicon Trail. That's the goal and they achieved it. There are more shots of them in Moab, Utah which look pretty awesome.

Anyway, I think that the Bronco is turning out to be a definite contender for the Wrangler and that's what Ford is setting out to showcase. And also lets not forget these are still the "test mules" they've been using for the past 6 months. One of them still has bits of camo on there lol. So some of this is marketing and some is still data gathering (hence, the dude with his laptop).

I'm quite sure that the Bronco will be more capable than 95% of the drivers out there (including myself) so I feel like it's succeeding at what it's purpose is. While the Wrangler can do it a little bit better to to the SFA is to note but they both managed to get to the end of the trail.

And the Rubicon Trail is for everyone (I'm sure the poster was making a funny). Correct me if I'm wrong but the Wrangler Rubicon was named AFTER the Rubicon Trail as it was able to get through it?

R

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
With the Bronco's recent announcement there's been a lot of buzz lately. This week some Broncos were actually spotted on the Rubicon trail (videos attached)
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...s-rock-crawling-action-on-rubicon-trail.3529/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-ford-bronco-on-rubicon-trail-more-pics.3465/
These videos appear to be from two different obstacles on the Rubicon trail. I'm not familiar with the trail, but does anyone know which obstacles these are and better yet, does anyone have any videos of going through these same obstacles in a stock Jeep? As you can observe the Broncos didn't have it too easy going through thise obstacles, although two of them did eventually make it through. I'm curious to see the difference between the Jeep and the Bronco. They appear to have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to compare against but don't share that part of the footage.
Sponsored