Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 743 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Oh and by the way, only one of those Broncos had 35's. The other two were stock BF Goodrich A/T 33"
Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
End of the day the Rubicon trail is the quintessential trail they needed to do it.

Whole thing seems to just be a banter back and forth between the two manufacturers.

1. only a very small % will drive either car at its limits so who cares proving this. It was all a social media, advertising etc etc campaign.
2. IF you were going to do the Rubicon then I bet that number is about zero that someone is doing it in a stock rig no matter the brand. If they are that serious about rock crawling they will upgrade both.

I personally think the bashing of either brand is pretty middle schooler. Plenty to say about either the Wrangler or Bronco. Neither are perfect in my mind HOWEVER competition is great and should take them both up a notch.
Yup, this exactly. Both are capable, both are excellent.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
stock rubicon won’t come out unscathed either. I got stuck on some incredibly stupid obstacles in stock form due to our deceivingly low break over height. It high centers on damn near everything with the stock skids. (4 door).
It’ll be interesting to see how they do with IRS and the additional width. I foresee a lot of pinstriping.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Same was true in 2018 when the new D44s debuted under the JL though.....

If they are using a "normal" D44 front center diff (since they are using a D44 rear...that makes sense), lockers may already be available.
The front diff on these is different according to the spec sheet. And the JL axle lockers came to market quickly because, Jeep. Now it could be that the Bronco will have the same support as the Wrangler. But past history shows that the aftermarket is much faster to develop products for the Wrangler. I'm certain that eventually the stuff will be available. But how long, and what the cost will be, I'm guessing quite a bit more than what the average person will want to spend. I'd say that it's probably in line with what it would cost to outfit a Tacoma similarly, but more expensive initially. For the shiny new toy tax.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
granted that the bronco made it thru the trails. however, i would not trust the factory belly pans to protect everything under the bronco. i rather have the solid axles vs ifs (not getting into the age old debate on this). i do believe they could of picked a better line to crawl over the rocks. it seems like they was rushing thru, like they dont give a $h*t.

now, i'm not saying that the jeep would have any struggle doing this trail. so here's my veiws. jeep have a better maneuverability to run a descent line and wont get hung up as much as the bronco did. most of the jeep will crawl thru, taking the time to address each rocks that make contact with each tire.

as for the body damage, yeah that can accrue, but its all depends on the driver, spotter and line. it seems that the bronco is more acceptable to trail damage vs the jeep.

i can see that this will be a "war" on who is better on the trials. compact vs full size. jeep vs bronco. gas vs diesel. etc. its all going to be personal prefernce and avaliablity of aftermarket parts. also the reliablity and strength of the parts that will be taking the abuse.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Personally, I'd wait to see the actual travel numbers before making that assessment. The stock JLUR's travel isn't anything to write home about IMO. YMMV.
While stock isn't 20" of travel, I do find it pretty impressive. Independent can have big theoretical travel, but typically, even with two tires in the air, each is really only using about 3" uptravel

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
It’ll be interesting to see how they do with IRS and the additional width. I foresee a lot of pinstriping.
Ford should have an orbital buffer option for it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Excluding actual hard core rock crawlers, the Bronco is a bonafide competitor. Bronco may or may not be a "true" competitor in the purest sense for rock crawlers but it will definitely poach same Wrangler sales. Novelty or not the Bronco is looking to get a piece of the pie. FCA/JEEP no longer has a monopoly on 4x4's with removable roofs. Time for FCA..soon to be something else after the merger with Peugeot…to up the game. I suggest they start with better quality control and improved dealer - customer service. Whoever owns JEEP needs to punish poor dealers and reward good ones.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
my personal opinion is that this is a “test” vehicle and the folks driving it are taking lines that have a high risk of bangs and scrapes so that they can prove the capabilities. Said another way, they are not trying, even slightly, to be careful. That’s my guess.
And why would they try to be careful? These Broncos are getting crushed like all test vehicles do

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm the one that brought up selective editing that several people have taken issue with. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that from a marketing perspective...to be more clear.

AND, I'm also the one who defined "capability"....and pointed out both the Jeep and Bronco completed the Rubicon.

The two stances aren't mutually exclusive. ;)

Same dude driving both would have to be someone who doesn't have a bias and picks exactly the same line. He'd also need to drive both 2 doors and 4 doors in both brands. Unlikely to happen.

Hinges on the outside vs. inside are a wash....it's small rocks thrown by the tires against the hinges or against the side of the vehicle....the end result is the same....chipped paint. As with the fender design; hinges are a moot point.

Bronco is more of a competitor to Jeep due to the top/doors coming off....otherwise, it's a closer competitor to an old H3 Alpha or the current Colorado ZR2.

I slightly disagree on "completed" the trail. In the American SW, trails are rated based on the hardest obstacle on the trail that can't be bypassed. The ratings are very basic, general guidelines for what kind of equipment you should expect to bring.

The problem is, you have a lot of people that "do" a trail...but took all the bypasses. That's not really the same thing exactly as doing the trail, IMO. But, I recognize that's just my opinion.
I know you didn’t say the selective editing. I’m actually agreeing with most of what you’ve said. Sounds like an honest un-biased opinion.

i don’t know the Rubicon trail. Are you implying the Bronco took these bypasses?

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I reckon it’s a reference to LeMans in Ford v. Ferrari.
Ah, very smart ODDs. I apologize lol, I didn’t pick up on it but now that I re-read your post ...I see it now :(

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Ah, very smart ODDs. I apologize lol, I didn’t pick up on it but now that I re-read your post ...I see it now :(
It's a Sunday, we grade on a curve on Sundays...lol

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I'm telling you I said selective editing. I'm the first one who used the term in this thread after viewing the videos you posted.

I'm not implying it...I'm stating it flat out. A stock JLUR probably wouldn't make the Soup Bowl as one example....nor could a Bronco.

Lol, ya don’t think Bronco could do that either. Is this one of the likely bypasses you mention? Maybe my Golf R... lol

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
And why would they try to be careful? These Broncos are getting crushed like all test vehicles do
They shouldn’t. That’s my whole point when I suggested to the poster who was “taken back by all the body damage”......
Sponsored