Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If this engine is putting out 25 PSI, it should be making 400 to 500 HP.
Sponsored

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
I can believe it.
My friends 2017 Focus ST 2.0L makes 252HP / 270Ft Lbs of torque with 21 psi of boost.
Our 2.0L make 270HP and 295 ft lbs of torque so 24-25 psi sounds about right.

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
forcefedjunkie,
How did you get the boost pressure reading using a scan gauge or boost gauge?
On the Cherokee there is a line that is capped off that goes to the intake manifold
it has a connector that holds it to the firewall. I think a boost gauge could tap into that for a reading.

OP
OP
Turbo_punkn

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Anyone find a place to tap in for one? Would love to put a mechanical guage on mine

forcefedjunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon 2.0L T/ 2021 Rubicon 392
I'm pretty sure the gauge is correct. High boost 2L engines are becoming pretty common. I have a 2.0L Golf R that is tuned running 29 psi. I've also read elsewhere that stock boost peaked at 25 psi in this engine. The gauge I'm using is a prototype Aeroforce Interceptor OBD2 gauge for the JL, and uses the correct MAP scaling and subtracts barometer to give an accurate boost reading. It doesn't need a boost tap. Because of the high boost, traditional MAP scaling would not work since it results in a peak limit of 22.5 psi. GM, FCA, and others rescale the MAP to read higher levels on certain vehicles. Anyway, the gauge reads idle correctly as well as displaying "0" with key on engine off, which tells me it is correct. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Also, this is a peak boost level in lower gears, which then tapers down to 21-22 at higher loads in higher gears, either by design or due to turbo running out of capacity (volume). Be interesting to see how much more the OEM turbo can push and hold above these levels, as well as what the engine can safely take.

Sponsored

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
Great info thanks for sharing.
Those pressures are not unusual considering the output of this engine.
So how does the scan gauge look and do they make a setup for the Cherokee 2.0L?

It's funny but even after removing the air box silencer tube I don't hear the turbo spool up.

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
I can believe it.
My friends 2017 Focus ST 2.0L makes 252HP / 270Ft Lbs of torque with 21 psi of boost.
Our 2.0L make 270HP and 295 ft lbs of torque so 24-25 psi sounds about right.
That's not how it works... my 2.0L AMG M133 engine runs at 26psi and makes 375HP. There's more to the equation than displacement and boost.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
That's not how it works... my 2.0L AMG M133 engine runs at 26psi and makes 375HP. There's more to the equation than displacement and boost.
Turbo efficiency and compression. Ignition strategies/DI vs port injection (or both)/etc come into play.

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I'm pretty sure the gauge is correct. High boost 2L engines are becoming pretty common. I have a 2.0L Golf R that is tuned running 29 psi. I've also read elsewhere that stock boost peaked at 25 psi in this engine. The gauge I'm using is a prototype Aeroforce Interceptor OBD2 gauge for the JL, and uses the correct MAP scaling and subtracts barometer to give an accurate boost reading. It doesn't need a boost tap. Because of the high boost, traditional MAP scaling would not work since it results in a peak limit of 22.5 psi. GM, FCA, and others rescale the MAP to read higher levels on certain vehicles. Anyway, the gauge reads idle correctly as well as displaying "0" with key on engine off, which tells me it is correct. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Also, this is a peak boost level in lower gears, which then tapers down to 21-22 at higher loads in higher gears, either by design or due to turbo running out of capacity (volume). Be interesting to see how much more the OEM turbo can push and hold above these levels, as well as what the engine can safely take.
So any chance for this to type of OBD gauge to be incorporated into the Tazer JL?

zshowket

First Name
Ziyad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler & 2008 Rubicon 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Let me resurrect this to see if anyone has found a place to tap into yet?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Let me resurrect this to see if anyone has found a place to tap into yet?
Have you tried reading the manifold pressure through the OBDII port? I haven't tried it yet on the JL, but every other OBDII car I have tried will report it correctly.

zshowket

First Name
Ziyad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler & 2008 Rubicon 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried reading the manifold pressure through the OBDII port? I haven't tried it yet on the JL, but every other OBDII car I have tried will report it correctly.
No, i am looking for a mechanical solution. Still waiting for HP Tuners.
Sponsored