Backup Lights

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
A ton of great information here and it’s giving me the inspiration to try this on my own. A lot of people that have done this here mentioned that they are complete novices when it comes to electrical wiring, but have all made this work fairly easily. Well, I’m call me an electrical wiring newborn, having never done anything remotely close to this. I just bought the square Rigid surface mount lights and I’m trying to put together a list of what I will need to hook these up to both my reverse lights and the Aux switch in the engine compartment. I would totally appreciate if someone could put together a comprehensive list of every item that I will need to accomplish this. Again, I’m a COMPLETE NOOB, but if I have instructions I can typically figure things out (and love the challenge). Here is what I have put together so far:

16 gauge automotive wire (25 ft)
2 Roadmaster park light diodes
Self tapping screw (for ground)
PET braided sleeve (1/4”)
Ring connector for ground wire
Electrical tape
Heat shrink tubing

What am I missing?

What do I use to splice the wires together? I prefer not to solder if that’s possible.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
A ton of great information here and it’s giving me the inspiration to try this on my own. A lot of people that have done this here mentioned that they are complete novices when it comes to electrical wiring, but have all made this work fairly easily. Well, I’m call me an electrical wiring newborn, having never done anything remotely close to this. I just bought the square Rigid surface mount lights and I’m trying to put together a list of what I will need to hook these up to both my reverse lights and the Aux switch in the engine compartment. I would totally appreciate if someone could put together a comprehensive list of every item that I will need to accomplish this. Again, I’m a COMPLETE NOOB, but if I have instructions I can typically figure things out (and love the challenge). Here is what I have put together so far:

16 gauge automotive wire (25 ft)
2 Roadmaster park light diodes
Self tapping screw (for ground)
PET braided sleeve (1/4”)
Ring connector for ground wire
Electrical tape
Heat shrink tubing

What am I missing?

What do I use to splice the wires together? I prefer not to solder if that’s possible.

Thanks!

I used these connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/120PCS-Solde...ords=Solder+connectors&qid=1574980777&sr=8-10

These connectors have solder in them. Strip the wires, put the wire in the sleeve, and heat with a heat gun...easy to use...questions, let me know

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Another noob question. I have 1 wire coming from where I tapped into reverse light and 1 wire coming from aux switch that I need to connect to the 2 wires coming from the lights. What's the best way to make this connection? Do I just twist the two together (aux and reverse) and twist the 2 from the lights and use one of the connectors mentioned above?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Another noob question. I have 1 wire coming from where I tapped into reverse light and 1 wire coming from aux switch that I need to connect to the 2 wires coming from the lights. What's the best way to make this connection? Do I just twist the two together (aux and reverse) and twist the 2 from the lights and use one of the connectors mentioned above?
I would use a heat shrink butt splice crimp connector (which would make the connection water resistant).

I used a heatshrink butt connector and then added another piece of heat shrink tubing to further waterproof the connection.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ArkieJeep

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I’ve decided to install this light - I think I’m gonna just install one in the center of the bumper, but I need some guidance as I am a novice at wiring.

Exactly what do I need to wire this?

I want it wired straight into reverse light and I DO NOT have aux switches. My thought is that the driver side will be easier to access and wire to.

Which wire is the reverse light and how can I tap into it to maintain function of each of them?

5796961A-7A32-4998-8220-03B8811F1BCB.png

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I’ve decided to install this light - I think I’m gonna just install one in the center of the bumper, but I need some guidance as I am a novice at wiring.

Exactly what do I need to wire this?

I want it wired straight into reverse light and I DO NOT have aux switches. My thought is that the driver side will be easier to access and wire to.

Which wire is the reverse light and how can I tap into it to maintain function of each of them?
White wire w/ beige trace on drivers side is what I used,here's a link to that thread
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-bar-on-jl-sport-plastic-bumper-cover.31728/
And another post about removing tail lights (to install new LED units) to get to the wiring harness.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ket-jl-led-tailights.25755/page-3#post-653989

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, these colors from the wiring diagrams can be a bit vague TBH.

Drew, just look for the white wire w/ the biegy-orange trace :)

ArkieJeep

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Yeah, these colors from the wiring diagrams can be a bit vague TBH.

Drew, just look for the white wire w/ the biegy-orange trace :)

But how do I tap into that wire? Where is the best place to run the wire into the light housing?

I am totally new to automotive wiring and want to make sure I have all the tools and equipment to do it right and not screw it up.

ArkieJeep

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
So I’m neck deep into this and as usual getting hung up. Long story but my questions are

- what gauge is the backup light wire? I need to know so I can get the right Size positap (nobody carries it around here so I am ordering it) The splicing product I got will not work.

- where did you all mount the ground? There are a few bolts on the body within the pocket for the tail light housing...?

and in the picture below which bundle can I access the beige/white backup light wire?

This “easy” mod has reminded me why I avoid electrical work all together.

8D64EB5C-ADF0-45E1-AEFB-A48537FB56E5.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I’m neck deep into this and as usual getting hung up. Long story but my questions are

- what gauge is the backup light wire? I need to know so I can get the right Size positap (nobody carries it around here so I am ordering it) The splicing product I got will not work.

- where did you all mount the ground? There are a few bolts on the body within the pocket for the tail light housing...?

and in the picture below which bundle can I access the beige/white backup light wire?

This “easy” mod has reminded me why I avoid electrical work all together.

8D64EB5C-ADF0-45E1-AEFB-A48537FB56E5.jpeg
Should be 14 to 16 gauge wire, I used simple T-taps, works well and is weather resistant and can be found at most auto part shops.
The wires right before the taillight connector are easy to access, just unwrap a bit of the tape to expose the wire group.
81RILzD96vL._SL1500_.jpg

As far as ground, I used a bolt threaded into the underside of the metal bumper mount, there's a few threaded holes that are easy to use under there. Not sure of the bolt size but it's about a 1/4" threaded hole IIRC.
Sponsored