Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have them installed on the steel bumper. I did have to trim one light which was a pain. I also have an issue with moisture seeping into both lights. But they work, and they work extremely well. They look like they belong there. I have no regrets, and the moisture does not seem to affect them. I'd buy them again if I had to.
Do you feel that if you sealed all edges with clear silicone from the onset, there would be no moisture issues?
Sponsored

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
OK, I just finished this entire thread because I bought the orical bumper lights and had this crazy idea about wiring them so they worked in reverse and through the Aux switches. I found this forum and many thanks to everyone here who contributed with pictures, solutions and install details. I feel I now have a good plan of attack.
My problem now is I saw early on how alot of members were waiting on this reflector replacement option and I was anxious to get to the end of this thread to see how they looked and maybe to get some opinions on them but it seems after a quick mention of how crappy they are, it was almost like they were being boycott lol. Anyone have anything positive to say about them?
I was looking for something close to stock, I use my hitch alot and don't want to drill into my bumper because I'm a disaster when it comes to modifications lol. I felt this was the greatest thing since sliced bread but now question my decision and am possibly considering other options. Any feedback or advice?
I just used the bolts on the bottom of the bumper to attach the lights. They aren't the same height due to the trailer plug but it was simple and has worked well.

vonbek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Do you feel that if you sealed all edges with clear silicone from the onset, there would be no moisture issues?
They looked very well sealed from the start and I'm really not sure if there's room for sealant. It's a pretty tight fit as is. To be honest, I thought perhaps I cracked the original seal when I was shaving one down to fit, but then I noticed both sides had the same issue. I suppose a light coat couldn't hurt. You'll have a better idea of how much you can apply when you do a test fit.

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
They looked very well sealed from the start and I'm really not sure if there's room for sealant. It's a pretty tight fit as is. To be honest, I thought perhaps I cracked the original seal when I was shaving one down to fit, but then I noticed both sides had the same issue. I suppose a light coat couldn't hurt. You'll have a better idea of how much you can apply when you do a test fit.
Actually looks like I might go a different route with these reflector/lights. Started reading a thread on here about changing them to European Rear Fog (red) lights.

Enabling factory Rear Fog Lights

I did this on a '08 M3 I had and it also deters tailgaters just as much as lights in their eyes...turn them on and they think you slammed your brakes on (without actually doing so) but you are still moving forward. Also they are great to be seen when it is foggy out.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
Actually looks like I might go a different route with these reflector/lights. Started reading a thread on here about changing them to European Rear Fog (red) lights.

I did this on a '08 M3 I had and it also deters tailgaters just as much as lights in their eyes...turn them on and they think you slammed your brakes on (without actually doing so) but you are still moving forward. Also they are great to be seen when it is foggy out.
Since rear fog lights are only on the left rear of the vehicle you could always put an additional backup light on the right side.

Sponsored

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Got my Oracle lights and harness friday. decided to try and tackle yesterday, after troubelshooting the pre runner lights i got all weekend and finding the issue. Good news is, the harness works perfectly and all the pins line up. But the drivers side doesnt fit in my steel bumper despite the revision so i started to sand it a little to see if it would help but it doesnt take enough off. i dont have a dremel and was going to go buy one, but i decided to test the lights first just to make sure since i had some issues with a bad ground wire in the prerunner lights (oracle sent me another hardness no problem and were great to work with). Turns out the driver's side doesnt work. im defeated

vonbek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Got my Oracle lights and harness friday. decided to try and tackle yesterday, after troubelshooting the pre runner lights i got all weekend and finding the issue. Good news is, the harness works perfectly and all the pins line up. But the drivers side doesnt fit in my steel bumper despite the revision so i started to sand it a little to see if it would help but it doesnt take enough off. i dont have a dremel and was going to go buy one, but i decided to test the lights first just to make sure since i had some issues with a bad ground wire in the prerunner lights (oracle sent me another hardness no problem and were great to work with). Turns out the driver's side doesnt work. im defeated
Did you test it with an ohm meter? It could be the harness that's the problem

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Did you test it with an ohm meter? It could be the harness that's the problem
i did for the prerunners which is how i diagnosed that. one reverse light worked, so i swapped the pigtails into the opposite connectors on the harness and the same light didnt work and the other did. rules out the harness. its possible the wire coming of the LED is bad somewhere, but i am not tapping into it up near the LED to test that wire for continuity since its sealed up nicely

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
Wow. 50 pages. I’m at a loss. Hopefully I can ask this without being a nuisance.

I’m planning on running the Oracle reverse lights off if an aux switch only. I’m seeing a lot of talk about diodes. Do they come into play ONLY if tapping into the reverse lights, or will I ALWAYS need a diode regardless of how I power these things?

I’m short on aux switches, so was planning on running them in parallel with my ARB compressor control switch power lead (I have to have both the ARB switch AND the Aux switch on for the compressor to run) since I’ll want the lights on for inflating anyway. Will there be an issue having the lights on the same circuit as that control circuitry?

Thank you!
Jason

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. 50 pages. I’m at a loss. Hopefully I can ask this without being a nuisance.

I’m planning on running the Oracle reverse lights off if an aux switch only. I’m seeing a lot of talk about diodes. Do they come into play ONLY if tapping into the reverse lights, or will I ALWAYS need a diode regardless of how I power these things?

I’m short on aux switches, so was planning on running them in parallel with my ARB compressor control switch power lead (I have to have both the ARB switch AND the Aux switch on for the compressor to run) since I’ll want the lights on for inflating anyway. Will there be an issue having the lights on the same circuit as that control circuitry?

Thank you!
Jason
Diode is only necessary when you are trying to use both. If going direct to switch and that is all, you don't need diode.

Sponsored

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

I guess you can call it modification ADHD, lol 😂

Have the Oracle Reflector Lights on order and will connect it to the reverse lights via tow harness and to Aux 4 switch. I have the DD Hitch Mount Reverse Light C1R + Brake kit already installed and plan to tap into that brake light with a separate switch powered off the fuse box (possibly cigarette lighter fuse) or straight from the battery and mount in the dash and have an in-line diode so it will be also used as a rear fog light. I decided I was not going to tie the DD into any switch and just keep it come on in regular reverse.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
If they don't fit, watch this video at about the 3 minute mark.
Question related to these lights..............
How are people getting around the legal requirements for red reflectors in the rear, or does any give a rip?
One reason they went with a half light, half reflector for the JT was to retain a reflector to meet certain requirements.
IF the JL tail lights are like the JT tail lights, there is no reflector provision in the lens. Many vehicles make the tail light lens reflective to meet requirements. The JT does not - thus the in-bumper reflectors to meet legal requirements and make them pass inspections.
If you remove the JL bumper mounted reflectors and install the Oracle back up lights - no reflector.
No one cares? Or do they reflect back red when headlights hit them?

vonbek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Question related to these lights..............
How are people getting around the legal requirements for red reflectors in the rear, or does any give a rip?
One reason they went with a half light, half reflector for the JT was to retain a reflector to meet certain requirements.
IF the JL tail lights are like the JT tail lights, there is no reflector provision in the lens. Many vehicles make the tail light lens reflective to meet requirements. The JT does not - thus the in-bumper reflectors to meet legal requirements and make them pass inspections.
If you remove the JL bumper mounted reflectors and install the Oracle back up lights - no reflector.
No one cares? Or do they reflect back red when headlights hit them?
To be honest I was unaware of such a code. In GA it was last updated in 1989. " Every motor vehicle manufactured after March 12, 1954, and operated upon a highway, other than a truck tractor, motorcycle, or motor driven cycle, shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the taillights or separately, two red reflectors" I'll have to double check them at night, but I'm fairly certain that the Mopar taillights have a red rear reflector mounted on the side which would comply with this law. We don't have safety inspections here, only emissions. And even that is only in some counties. I'd also argue that the need for reflectors have lessened with the advent of headlights, taillights, and running lights that automatically come on depending on the conditions or light level. Mostly though, I just don't care :) If it comes down to it, I can always make a Jeep logo out of red reflective tape and stick them on either end of my bumper.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I’m not sure if the JL taillights have a reflector, I’ll check next time I go outside, but I have never seen an aftermarket rear bumper for the JL that comes with reflectors so I assume they do or that no one really cares if they do or not.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I’m not sure if the JL taillights have a reflector, I’ll check next time I go outside, but I have never seen an aftermarket rear bumper for the JL that comes with reflectors so I assume they do or that no one really cares if they do or not.
Issue for some is, if in your State, your JL has to pass State Inspection.... and you do not have the required rear reflectors, and if there missing, is noticed by the inspector... well, your JL will fail State inspection.

With that said, if you have Oracle flush mounts or tail lights with no reflectors and have also removed the factory bumper reflectors ... or have an aftermarket bumper with no reflectors your vehicle will not pass inspection if the inspector notices... (He will probably notice)

Also, should you get into rear end collision, the one rear ending you, could mention this lack of reflectors to Police at the time of the accident, leaving you open to a vehicle equip. ticket and a slight liability issue..
Sponsored