JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
Dumb question incoming...

How do the different axle widths (regular vs. wide axles for Rubicon) affect backspacing? I found that the Rubi wide axles are 1.5” wider, so 0.75” each side.

I realize backspacing is a wheel property, not axles, but does the extra width on the wide axles have the same effect? Do you effectively have an additional 0.75” backspacing with the wide axles, as far as moving the wheel rim and tire further out from body/suspension? Or are some suspension components (that would be of concern for rubbing with larger tires) also moved out further as well to accommodate the wider axle?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Dumb question incoming...

How do the different axle widths (regular vs. wide axles for Rubicon) affect backspacing? I found that the Rubi wide axles are 1.5” wider, so 0.75” each side.

I realize backspacing is a wheel property, not axles, but does the extra width on the wide axles have the same effect? Do you effectively have an additional 0.75” backspacing with the wide axles, as far as moving the wheel rim and tire further out from body/suspension? Or are some suspension components (that would be of concern for rubbing with larger tires) also moved out further as well to accommodate the wider axle?
It's only the components mounted on the wider Rubicon axles that stick out .75" more per side. Nothing suspension related is mounted wider to match the axles.

OP
OP

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks y’all, exactly the info I needed!

Sponsored

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

Does anyone know whether the Dana 210-220 fitted to JLU Diesels are the wider Rubicon axles or are they the stock JLU width?? Assume the Rubicon axles are wider to fit fatter tires without spacers. Apparently 35/12.50/17 tires will fit a Rubicon on stock rims and wondering if that's the case with the Sport versions of the 210/220 axles. If they are wider, that would make 35's work without by just going with the Rubicon fenders.

Don't want to add a lift if I can help it. My wife is under 5' and will be struggling to get in the truck with the additional height of taller tires and have to have a ladder with a lift. Will have rock sliders that I'll probably use so step sills won't work.

OP
OP

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know whether the Dana 210-220 fitted to JLU Diesels are the wider Rubicon axles or are they the stock JLU width?? Assume the Rubicon axles are wider to fit fatter tires without spacers. Apparently 35/12.50/17 tires will fit a Rubicon on stock rims and wondering if that's the case with the Sport versions of the 210/220 axles. If they are wider, that would make 35's work without by just going with the Rubicon fenders.

Don't want to add a lift if I can help it. My wife is under 5' and will be struggling to get in the truck with the additional height of taller tires and have to have a ladder with a lift. Will have rock sliders that I'll probably use so step sills won't work.
Pretty sure they’re not the wide, just regular width from the answer I got in another thread. Also. The order guide shows the diesel only adding a 44 front (different code than 44 wide front also), and not rear... so I assume that’s regular 44 added to front, and same regular 44 as other Sport/Sahara..

This is the main thing that has me wringing my hands over a Rubicon vs. Willy’s diesel, even more so than lockers which can be added aftermarket.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Mounting 12.5" wide tires on any of the factory rims is pushing it.

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

I'm going with 10.5"-11.5" wide tires so hopefully they will fit without a lift.

OP
OP

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so.... I pulled up some build sheets at this link, and put in VINs from a local dealer. It seems to show that even with the diesel, only the Rubicon gets the wide version of the axles (though still 44’s).

cross posting with this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ill-i-miss-from-a-rubicon.52538/#post-1478601

Rubicon
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C4HJXFNXMW666734

Dana M210 Wide Front Axle
Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle

Sport Diesel
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C4HJXDM4MW546941

Dana M210 Front Axle
Dana M220 Rear axle

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It's only the components mounted on the wider Rubicon axles that stick out .75" more per side. Nothing suspension related is mounted wider to match the axles.
Yes, so to translate that in simpler terms, it's like having a 0.75" wheel spacers on each side. Or, -0.75" backspacing.
I have always assumed that the hubs were similar dimensions on the Rubicon vs. Sport, and that the Rubicon's balljoint-to-balljoint measurement was an additional 1.5". In other words I assumed the scrub radius was similar between (ignoring the changes caused by tire height).

Can one of you confirm that this is true?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have always assumed that the hubs were similar dimensions on the Rubicon vs. Sport, and that the Rubicon's balljoint-to-balljoint measurement was an additional 1.5". In other words I assumed the scrub radius was similar between (ignoring the changes caused by tire height).

Can one of you confirm that this is true?
I couldn't imagine why it would be anything else than the axle tube length between the carrier housing and inner knuckle, that differentiates the standard and wide axles. It's the most cost effective way about that.
Sponsored