Sponsored

Possibly ordering JLU Willys with diesel: what will I miss from a Rubicon

hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 2dr JK Sport S
I'm having trouble getting accurate information on exactly what a JLU Willys diesel will come with. The following is what I know it comes with and what I think it might come with.

32" black wheels with MT tires vs 33" off road tires on the Rubi (I actually like the looks of these better than the Rubicon wheel/tire combo)
Rubicon shocks/springs (I've see a Willys build sheet and it doesn't mention upgraded shocks)
Dana 44 front and rear axles with 3.73 gearing with the diesel option (are these the same wide axles as the Rubicon?) Rubi diesel also has 3.73 gears
Rear LSD on the Willys vs full lockers on the Rubi
Detachable sway bars on the Rubi
Rubicon has the Rock Track HD 4wd system (any chance the diesel Willys also gets this?)
Rubicon can be had with a few more options (8.4" screen and proximity key don't matter to me)

MSRP on the Rubi with the same equipment is 6k more. The Rubi doesn't get the 1k retail cash bonus that the 2020 Willys gets so the difference is 7k more.

No guarantee an ordered 2021 Willys will have any incentives but it will still be 6k cheaper than a Rubi with the same equipment. Good chance the Willys will have at least 1k in incentives. If they bring back employee pricing even more. I don't need the lockers or sway bar disconnect. What is the chance resale on the Rubicon will be 6k higher five or ten years down the road?
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Rubicon shocks/springs (I've see a Willys build sheet and it doesn't mention upgraded shocks)

Dana 44 front and rear axles with 3.73 gearing with the diesel option (are these the same wide axles as the Rubicon?)

Rubicon has the Rock Track HD 4wd system (any chance the diesel Willys also gets this?)
Yes, Willys gets Rubicon’s shocks, springs and brakes. Yes the axles will be the same with the diesel.

No, you cannot get the Rubicon’s 4:1 RockTrac 4WD transfer case on Willys.

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
You also get lockers and 4.10 gearing in the Rubicon. I don't know if they're the same wide axles. It might be the axels they throw in the JT's. Not sure on that one.

If you're thinking Rubicon, get the Rubicon. I bought a Sahara first, and traded it a month and half later.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
What is the chance resale on the Rubicon will be 6k higher five or ten years down the road?
5 years down the road, maybe. 10 years, total crap shoot. No one can predict the value hold in that time. Yes, the Rubi has more nice features still in that time, but those could also be a list of expensive aging accessories in need of replacement dragging the value down. If you're buying for a 10 year run, resale shouldn't really be a consideration.

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I have thought about this many times. I know the diesel upgrades it to the d44's. Not sure if they are the wide ones. I haven't been able to find that info. With 442 ft lb of torque I don't think a 4:1 tcase is needed. The wheels/tires/suspension is something I always change. So I don't care about them either. The LSD is standard on diesel also so no concern there. If you leave Willy's stock. Cool. With what I do the Willy's package isn't worth it. If you leave it stock, it would be worth it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hammick

hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 2dr JK Sport S
I have thought about this many times. I know the diesel upgrades it to the d44's. Not sure if they are the wide ones. I haven't been able to find that info. With 442 ft lb of torque I don't think a 4:1 tcase is needed. The wheels/tires/suspension is something I always change. So I don't care about them either. The LSD is standard on diesel also so no concern there. If you leave Willy's stock. Cool. With what I do the Willy's package isn't worth it. If you leave it stock, it would be worth it.
Thanks. It will stay stock. The problem with my '15 JK is the 10k worth of suspension, wheel and bumper work and other stuff and dealers don't want to give me a dime for that stuff.

So are the 210 and 220 axles the same as Dana 44s? Do the wide axles on the Rubicon just make the vehicle stance wider?

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
210s and 220s are D44s. Just the series. Stout axles

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

The Diesels come with Dana 210 front and 220 rear just like the Rubicon. The question is are they the same width as the wider axle on the Rubicon???

210s and 220s are D44s. Just the series. Stout axles

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
What the Rubicon has that the Willy's doesn't for a Diesel
- Rubicon Fenders
- 4:1 transfer case
- Hood vents
- Front sway bar disconnect
- F/R E lockers
- Rubicon Springs

all diesels have the HD 210, and 220 axles(wide axles), and 3.73 gears( this includes the Rubicon), No 4wd auto

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
What the Rubicon has that the Willy's doesn't for a Diesel
- Rubicon Fenders
- 4:1 transfer case
- Hood vents
- Front sway bar disconnect
- F/R E lockers
- Rubicon Springs

all diesels have the HD 210, and 220 axles(wide axles), and 3.73 gears( this includes the Rubicon), No 4wd auto
I keep seeing conflicting answers on the width. Where did you get the info from? The order guides also show a diesel only adding a different front axle DJE (not specified as wide DJF) on Willy’s, no change to rear, and Sports don’t have wide rear 44’s. And the guide does differentiate the M220 rears as regular (DRE) or wide (DRF).

Sponsored

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I went through the similar dilemma with Willys vs Rubicon, but at the end of the day I'd rather stretch the budget than have regrets, so I went with the JLUR....Glad I did.

Flying up Saturday to pick her up!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Possibly ordering JLU Willys with diesel:  what will I miss from a Rubicon IMG_8818

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i would strongly recommend against going cheap on the 8.4 and getting the 7inch radio. you will spend double the amount trying to upgrade the stereo yourself with aftermarket stuff, and when you finally get it working many features will no longer be available (different menu).

i was originally looking for a willys. i found a rubicon for 44.9k (out the door price) ... no leather seats no hard top. and mine has the 8.4 with premium / kicker. mine has the aux panel, upgraded alternator, and towing.

being it's a rubicon, it has 33" wheels stock, 4.11 axles and 1" lift.

the alternator / aux panel makes it amazingly easy to add accessories later.

but again my very most important advice: dont get a 7" radio. you will regret it. unless you like taking the whole dash apart and losing clips down in places forever and stuff like that. the 8.4 works great.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I keep seeing conflicting answers on the width. Where did you get the info from? The order guides also show a diesel only adding a different front axle DJE (not specified as wide DJF) on Willy’s, no change to rear, and Sports don’t have wide rear 44’s. And the guide does differentiate the M220 rears as regular (DRE) or wide (DRF).
I think you are right, my Sahara Diesel build sheet only says that its a M210, and M220 axle not wide. I will have to measure my axle when I get home from overseas. I wouldn't call this a bad thing though because now it will probably be easier to switched over to 35 spline axle shafts. I wonder if my axles still have the extra thickness(10mm), compared to the older m210/m220 axles.

Diesels get the same springs across all trim levels to compensate for the extra weight.
I don't think this is right. I know that the Diesels come with HD springs, but I believe the Rubicon springs are taller. I bought some Rubi Diesel take off springs, and shocks from Rubi with a similar build to my Saraha, so I can find out for sure once I swap those parts out.
Sponsored