AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification

Theweda123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sarhara JL
Hello all,
I’m needing some help!
I wired up feniex fusion-s 800 light stick to the aux2 switch and the converter box that came with it to the accessory wire as it needed 2 different power sources and I get power coming from my vehicle (2020 Jeep Wrangler JL) to the converter but there is no power coming back out of the converter. I have tested it with a 12v tester and all the red wires and mode (white wires coming from converter) wires have power but when I test the data wires going back to the bar I get nothing. Anyone done anything like this or have a idea on how to get the lightstick to light up?!?
All I was given was picture directions (Pics 1 and 3). Picture 2 is how I have it wired. I plan on heat shrinking the connections when I get it to work so it cleans up nicer but for now I’m using these connectors.

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 189C4513-43F5-4252-A8D4-737B8D9C4562

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification C20828C8-6B37-4583-ABEE-43CACD31CF99

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification D230878E-6B9D-4A4B-89A6-C8315479EEB5
Sponsored

Theweda123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: after talking to my local light bar gurus and still no success I contacted Feniex by their chat and they had me send them my converter and they sent me a new and now it lights up. I was also able to wire all the red together and all the black together

Last edited:

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've just started wiring things to the Jeep/Aux ports and I'm really suprised at how thin the wiring is for the aux lines. I put some foglights on with 14g (maybe 16g) wire and it's way bigger than the 15amp aux (3) I plugged it into.

I planned on wiring more things to those wires, an arb compressor, etc. But they're such small gauge. Especially the lines directly to the battery, I thought I'd wire a bunch of things to that. Am I going to create some fire hazard by wiring multiple things into the direct battery line? Do I need to replace it with a larger cable? Or do I just need to stay under the fuse amperage and I'm overthinking this?

New to electrical stuff

Theweda123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also noticed it was like 18g wire. What I did and idk if it’s right or wrong but it worked for me cuz I also had a similar issue. I connected the aux wire 18g with a 16g wire using a butt connector then I would then have a pigtail of the 16g wire to connect what I needed. I had to connect multiple wires twisted together in one butt connector. So that was my solve. I’m not a big wire guru so I can’t really tell you yes or no on the fire hazard. This is just how I made it work for me.

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
I had some trouble following this colour code this past summer and I brought my Jeep to the dealership to check it out. Turns out they have changed a couple colours on my 2022!

In my Jeep, Pink / Orange Stripe is Ignition and AUX 3 is Orange / Pink stripe. This is backwards from the diagram and led me to think my ignition wire wasn't working!

Hopefully this saves someone some time or money.
I got the following sheet from my dealer showing me the 2022 wire colours:

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification PXL_20221223_052704538

*Edit - It seems like some replies here show the correct colours but the original post has the colours for Aux 3 and Ignition switched.. Cost me $300! I should have tested them all, but I figured I had some things wired in and working correctly so there must be an issue with the Jeep! Is the OP still around to edit this?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I had some trouble following this colour code this past summer and I brought my Jeep to the dealership to check it out. Turns out they have changed a couple colours on my 2022!

In my Jeep, Pink / Orange Stripe is Ignition and AUX 3 is Orange / Pink stripe. This is backwards from the diagram and led me to think my ignition wire wasn't working!

Hopefully this saves someone some time or money.
I got the following sheet from my dealer showing me the 2022 wire colours:

PXL_20221223_052704538.jpg

*Edit - It seems like some replies here show the correct colours but the original post has the colours for Aux 3 and Ignition switched.. Cost me $300! I should have tested them all, but I figured I had some things wired in and working correctly so there must be an issue with the Jeep! Is the OP still around to edit this?
When I point somebody to a thread on the forum, I always also say, to be sure to read the whole thread. Suggest in the future that you read the whole thread and not just the first post in a thread.

Remember, never take as gospel what you read in one internet post or see in one YouTube video.

As posted a few times earlier in this thread and also in your post the color coding is as in this pic:
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 12v source wires

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
When I point somebody to a thread on the forum, I always also say, to be sure to read the whole thread. Suggest in the future that you read the whole thread and not just the first post in a thread.

Remember, never take as gospel what you read in one internet post or see in one YouTube video.

As posted a few times earlier in this thread and also in your post the color coding is as in this pic:
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 12v source wires
Clearly I thought I did read the whole thread. What wasn't so obvious was that one colour was swapped and in error as most colours were the same and appeared to match. The OP has now updated to put this note above the image which should help others. Hopefully this update and my request to the OP to update the first post helps others, unlike your attitude : ) (I can also bold and underline).

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Clearly I thought I did read the whole thread. What wasn't so obvious was that one colour was swapped and in error as most colours were the same and appeared to match. The OP has now updated to put this note above the image which should help others. Hopefully this update and my request to the OP to update the first post helps others, unlike your attitude : ) (I can also bold and underline).
The colors aren't as obvious as in the photo too. Hard to tell the colors (colours) apart on my Jeep anyhow. Don't take the other answer personal, he can be a little demeaning, but usually has good info.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sorry, but a stickied post should not require detailed reading of 14 pages of posts for such a fundamental thing.

The OP apparently updated it a few days ago indicating that a couple wires might be inverted. I would expect that a stickied post would have been verified and corrected.

And yes, I made the same mistake in assuming that a stickied post would be accurate.

Sponsored

brsasquatch

First Name
BR SSQTCH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSp - Sting Grey
Build Thread
Link
After a few installs, I have cut off everything and made a DIY harness with weatherproof plugs to make my life easier as I did quite a few swaps in the past year with the jeep in regar to connections to my Aux switches

now when needed, I can swap around the light configuration easier. I usually have a summer and a winter config. With more night wheeling in the winter, I have different lights that I don’t use in the summer, which I have more of a camping light configuration on the platform and back of jeep to accommodate camping needs.

now the wiresstay the same, I just switch the connectors!

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 3FB3BCEC-C3BA-4A55-8D22-1A3B7E9CD865

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 845CFE27-5917-406D-8B77-FDE4B4EF01D6

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 32F1D731-409F-4197-AD88-33510EDD4C63

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification D05CA2D8-48C9-4778-9938-8980A4050228

68215E58-6D4A-4533-8728-F801942C19FF.jpeg

Trek54

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Rubicon
8/12/21 Update .... Must Read...
IMPORTANT: Do know that if your JL/JLU has Aux switches that were installed at home, a shop or at the dealer and not at the factory, that you need to read at the links below....

Read at the links directly below.... then read the rest of the posts in this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/aux-switches-cable-color-code-wiring-identification.13026/post-1612084

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/aux-switches-cable-color-code-wiring-identification.13026/post-1612377
Mine being aftermarket install, where are the fuses to check and see is they put in the correct ones? thanks so much.

Trek54

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Rubicon
Hi all -

First time I can actually add value to a post on the forum

I had the Mopar Auxiliary Switch Bank added to my 2018 JL about 6 months ago via the dealer. My set up is exactly the same as @zyt had described above with Aux 1 & 3 rated for 40 amps, 2 & 4 at 15 amps.

Since having the switch bank installed, I've added some auxiliary lights. In doing so, I can also confirm that the 40amp wires are larger diameter vs the 15amp wires. To be fair though, I've only used the 2 15 amp switches to date and have not tested anything on the 40amp connections (Aux 1 & 3) yet.

Picture doesn't do a great job showing the difference -

(Edited for wire color/switch clarity)
Orange - Aux 1
Purple - Aux 2
White - Aux 3
Grey - Aux 4

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 68215E58-6D4A-4533-8728-F801942C19FF

Hope that helps
[/QU
Would you know where the fuses are located for these wires? I sure would like to check mine. I was told that 1 and 2 are the 40 AMP and 3 and 4 the 15 AMP. Thanks.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Mine being aftermarket install, where are the fuses to check and see is they put in the correct ones? thanks so much.
On the back firewall of your JL you will find what you see in each pic.... those pertain to your non factory installed Aux kit..
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 8888888

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 9999

Trek54

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Rubicon
Hi all Aux Switch Grurus- @Rhinebeck01 and a few others, question for your all:
It seems everything I've read here suggest Aux 1 & 2 are for 40 amps and Aux 3 & 4 are for 15 amps. I believe this is true for factory installed options.
What about the mopar switches (82215190AE) that can be purchased afterward? I installed those myself and Mopar instruction shows that Aux 1 & 3 are rated for 40 amps, 2 & 4 are 15 amps. I confirmed this on my jeep by checking the actual fuse starting from passenger side, and they are in fact 40A=>15A=>40A=> 15A. I assume the picture accurately labeled the order of Aux switch 3=>4=>1=>2.

Anyone know if this is accurate? I've searched quite a bit here, but it seems everyone is saying aux 1&2 are 40A, and 3&4 are 15A

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification 9999
Sponsored