DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
When the engine stops, what happens to the climate system? Because in cold weather if you leave your hvac on and your engine off, your windows will fog up in no time.
Everything was still working. Only the engine stopped. Hilarious note from this evening's drive: I had a friend with me who knew nothing about it. We pulled up to a stop light and the engine shut off when I was in neutral and released the clutch. No shudder when it stopped, just silence. I looked at him and said, "Feel how smooth that engine is! It's smoother than my Mercedes!" He said, "No F*****g way! That's the smoothest engine I think I've ever felt!" I laughed my ass off! He had no clue until I told him!
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
On the manual, there is no delay in throttle response, at all. The engine is started and running by the time you begin to let the clutch out. I wouldn't call it seemless, but it's damned close. I was shocked at how well it worked.
Yeah, unfortunately the daily driver JLU will be Auto, though it’s good to know for the Cottage JL. Like I said, I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

I was going to check out the dealerships this week for an JLs in town, but I’m sick as a dog the last 2 days, so gonna check out in 2 weeks when back from the hill again, hopefully a demo model somewhere in town.

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Just test drove a 2018 Sahara and tested the start stop feature. I was surprised that the engine wasn't consistently turning off when I would stop. At red lights I could tell that it was off, but other times when waiting to turn at an intersection it was staying on. A lot different experience than when I rented a car in Ireland this past May. That thing would turn off if you just thought about slowing down around intersections. Not sure why there were some instances where I came to a complete stop but the Jeep continued to idle. I checked and the "on/off" feature was turned on. Thoughts?

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just test drove a 2018 Sahara and tested the start stop feature. I was surprised that the engine wasn't consistently turning off when I would stop. At red lights I could tell that it was off, but other times when waiting to turn at an intersection it was staying on. A lot different experience than when I rented a car in Ireland this past May. That thing would turn off if you just thought about slowing down around intersections. Not sure why there were some instances where I came to a complete stop but the Jeep continued to idle. I checked and the "on/off" feature was turned on. Thoughts?
I sat in one the other day and it seemed to do the same thing. The dealer said it had something to do with the load on the battery or how much cranking power the matter had at that moment in time. I'm not sure if he was correct or not as I've heard a lot of other false "news" from these guys so, who knows. Although it would make sense to me if it wouldn't turn off if you had the ac blasting. Not that you had the ac blasting... Seems like no one in the entire country would be doing that right now... Maybe the heat?

AlexK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Not sure why there were some instances where I came to a complete stop but the Jeep continued to idle. I checked and the "on/off" feature was turned on. Thoughts?
There are about a million circumstances in which stop/start systems won't cut the engine, ranging from reduced battery charge, too much of a temperature differential between outside and inside the vehicle, current power draw (having the rear window demist on is normally enough to stop it activating), engine temperature, transmission temperature - all sorts.

Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
^^^ he said it better!

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Seemed to me if you’re holding the brake just enough to keep the car from rolling it won’t turn off. But if you hold it down firmly then it will. What I got from my Sahara and Rubicon test drives....YMMV

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
What are everyone's thought of the Auto Stop feature on the JL (Pages 330-332 of Owner's Manual).
I was really nervous about this as well driving cars with it in the past. I received mine Monday and my commute to work is a ton of stop lights 4 miles each way and it was unbelievable how comfortable it is. It does a great job turning back on but there are conditions where it won't stop like traffic, etc. which I love. the botton to turn it off is right on the dash next to the climate control.

I love it!

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't like it on the Automatic that I test drove. I didn't notice it so much when accelerating from a stop, it was the engine cutting off when coming to a stop that bothered me. The slight shake threw me off as I thought someone walked into the back of the Jeep(I was still in the dealer parking lot.) After the second stop sign I ended up turning it off. It could be b/c I've never had a vehicle with this feature, but I didn't really like the "feeling" of the Jeep switching off at a stop.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a potentially dumb question. This in line with an old thinking like 3,000 mile oil change intervals but another old method of thought was the start/stop process caused the most engine wear. I'm assuming this is no longer the case with better oils, better tolerances and I do know it's not it's really only harder on really cold starts. With that said I can see it being annoying in certain situations like rolling up to a stop sign and doing a complete stop then immediately going but otherwise it sounds like it's pretty seamless.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Looks like if the driver doesn't have their seatbelt fastened the engine won't turn on autostop. There is no need to hit the button every time you get in if you don't wear your seatbelt! Cool!

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like if the driver doesn't have their seatbelt fastened the engine won't turn on autostop. There is no need to hit the button every time you get in if you don't wear your seatbelt! Cool!
The dealer told me you can trick the Auto Start/Stop by plugging in a trailer hitch plug as well(He mentioned doing it on other Jeeps with the it.) I didn't go into the details since mine won't have the tow package.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
The dealer told me you can trick the Auto Start/Stop by plugging in a trailer hitch plug as well(He mentioned doing it on other Jeeps with the it.) I didn't go into the details since mine won't have the tow package.
Sponsored