Disable annoying "Auto-park" feature?

1. joshg

joshg Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
    Liked:
    I HATE the so-called safety feature that if a door is open, the vehicle puts itself into park and won't come out until you close the door. There are many times I prefer to have a door open when moving a little bit... the most important to me is launching a towed boat... I like to open the door as I'm backing down the launch ramp for better visibility. But also wanted it for quick "re-park" situations... oops, I could have pulled in to that spot a little more, so I'll inch it up a bit more.

It's a stupid lawyer/nanny feature and deserves some way to turn it off forever. I find it much more annoying to me than ESS, and there are plenty of ways to temporarily or permanently get rid of ESS.

JL Tazer can't disable Auto-park, and of course there's no factory option to disable it.

Anyone think of a way to disable this horrible "feature"?

(*yeah, I know... could trade in for a manual transmission... this is one thing that is making me regret getting the automatic.*)

Sand Flea likes this.
  2. mwilk012

mwilk012 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    USN
    Plug in your seatbelt.

Sean L likes this.
  3. Daktari

Daktari Active Member

First Name:
    Oliver
    Vehicle(s):
    2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
    Liked:
    reading about this silly "feature" here helped me get out of park with our rented jeep at the car wash in Moab.

One solution I saw here was to use a seat belt extender, a piece that looks like the regular 'lock' you plug your seatbelt in with a seat belt 'anchor' at the bottom. You plug that into your setbelt lock and then plug your seatbelt into that. So if you unbuckle your belt from that extender, the car will still think you're locked and apparently auto park won't engage. I can't test it, since I don't have my Jeep yet, but it seems to work. What that person used looked similar to these I just found with a quick Amazon search:

https://www.amazon.com/Seatbelt-Extension-Packs-Extender-Pregnant/dp/B07VQXDQMD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1HTO62L7VNYZX&keywords=seatbelt+extenders+for+cars&qid=1566259575&s=gateway&sprefix=seatbelt+exte,aps,382&sr=8-5

Might be worth a try? I just picked one random listing from my Amazon search, poke around and see what might work for you. Seems a better solution that somehow plugging the seatbelt in behind your back.

4. Rahneld

Rahneld Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Wrangler
    Liked:
    A front hitch for your rig might solve half the issues.

I get your frustration, but we need to point fingers in the right direction: people's attitudes, as in those that sit on juries, as well as what the law allows.

The time is long overdue that if someone injures or kills themselves operating equipment incorrectly, as tragic as that is, that juries don't hand out such large awards for these somewhat self-inflicted wounds.

If they operated that way, lawyers in companies wouldn't advise executives to install the nanny features you speak with as much force as they do, because the financial risk of not having them would be less.

And yet, if you or I hurt or killed ourselves "on our own dime," I wouldn't be surprised if our next of kin litigated, particularly if laywers told them awards (that they'd take 1/3 of if they win and require no money down) were likely.

As you probably know, this feature is strongly based on Anton Yelchin's tragic death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Yelchin#Death

Had you or I (I know---we wouldn't be so stupid, etc., and you'd probably be correct) done this, as non celebrities, things might have turned out different--itself not fair.

Maxdady, brewdad, Lou Bunn and 3 others like this.
  5. cOtter

cOtter Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    ‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
    Liked:
    Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
    Kind of crazy that this is even an issue for a vehicle that is known for the feature of taking the doors off. If the doors are off are they not by basic definition “open”.

6. Rahneld

Rahneld Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Wrangler
    Liked:
    It's a great point Chris, but FCA would respond that they thought of that in using body weight metrics on the front driver's seat, or absence thereof, as the trigger mechanism for the safety feature when doors are absent.

I'm a little bit confused as to how their rig's computers define "the absence of doors." My guess is that the door wiring harness is disconnected...but then does a bare bones Sport JL even have this wiring harness?

7. smithrd65

smithrd65 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
    Liked:
    Sell the vehicle and then cry about your next one.
    No matter what you can't Satisfy some people.

8. Sean K.

Sean K. Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, Tube Frame Liberty Buggy, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
    Liked:
    I feel like someone linked an actual seatbelt plug in tab that solved the issue.....searched and can't find it though. Not saying the one linked here won't work...but I thought I read a thread where someone actually did it and linked the one they used.

9. Roky

Roky Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I use these, for when I’m in and out and not needing seatbelt, works great.

2F180D35-68A7-4583-88A6-3FA3A30B5EE4.jpeg

10. Kyanche

Kyanche Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    That safety feature was made because of this stupid shifter. Here's what it looks like in park:
    jeep-grand-cherokee-shifter.jpg

Now here's what it looks like in drive:
    maxresdefault.jpg

It had just enough slop in the release button that you could 'shift into park' and actually end up in neutral. It'd feel exactly like you had it in park, and the car would beep the same way when you opened the door, so it was easy enough to not notice the car wasn't in park.

Of course, you should always use your parking brake. And they never should've made a car with such a stupid shifter.

11. Sean K.

Sean K. Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, Tube Frame Liberty Buggy, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
    Liked:
    Thanks brother. I hate Spamazon....put in the EXACT description...still doesn't pull up the product you posted.

Roky likes this.
  12. cbrenthus

cbrenthus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '19 Mojito JLUR
    Liked:
    I've been meaning to try jumpering the sensor wires together so that the Jeep always thinks the seatbelt is plugged in. I've been flamed on here for suggesting this before, because if you do that, and get in a wreck, the jeep will think the belt is plugged in and release all airbags and such. However, I don't drive past my driveway without the belt anyway so it wouldn't be an issue.

13. four low

four low Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL
    Liked:
    If you unplug the door wiring harness, it will behave in "doors off" mode , no "AutoPark"
    This can easily be plugged back in, rather than actually trying to alter the wiring harness to fool the sensors. Unintended Consequences can be alarming..

ThePnWJL likes this.
  14. mwilk012

mwilk012 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    USN
    Doors being removed should not disable auto park.

15. four low

four low Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL
    Liked:
    I have a 2018 Sport , 2 Dr, 2.0T. I put it in Reverse, opened door, no seatbelt, backed up no Nanny.
    Another reason I'm glad I chose the No Frills version...