Sponsored

Disable annoying "Auto-park" feature?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes, thought of that, and it will work. But it's kind of a hassle to pull the trim piece off and disconnect the somewhat finicky connector. seatbelt is much less time, but both are just a hassle.
Damn ya know that makes me think you could just "break" the door wires with a switch. Call it AP kill but really all you're doing is switching to make it think doors are removed. Bonus points if you can use the aux switches already in dash
Sponsored

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
Damn ya know that makes me think you could just "break" the door wires with a switch. Call it AP kill but really all you're doing is switching to make it think doors are removed. Bonus points if you can use the aux switches already in dash
Great idea. But if the doors are off, it’s possible the vehicle will disable things like door lock/unlock, fob lock:unlock, windows, proximity door handle sensors, mirror adjusters, and proximity lock buttons.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It can be aggravating for sure. But on the rare occasion I need to have the door open to move the Jeep a little I just hook the seat belt behind me. Those times are mainly when I'm cleaning the tires.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Great idea. But if the doors are off, it’s possible the vehicle will disable things like door lock/unlock, fob lock:unlock, windows, proximity door handle sensors, mirror adjusters, and proximity lock buttons.
Exactly. Which is why you treat it like a "fake" belt you DON'T have to search for. Instead of fooling the belt, you just flip the switch when AP is getting in the way, like backing a trailer or on a boat ramp.

Complete task and flip switch to return to stock nanny state.

It'd be nice to know if there's just ONE wire we could interrupt to make the Jeep think the door has been removed...

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
If you don’t want to hook up the seatbelt behind you, just ride the brake a little with your left foot. Like just enough to trigger your brake lights. You can go at least 10-12 mph with door open that way without auto park kicking in, but as soon as you release that brake pressure, it will. That’s how I back up with door open, two foot driving.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you don’t want to hook up the seatbelt behind you, just ride the brake a little with your left foot. Like just enough to trigger your brake lights. You can go at least 10-12 mph with door open that way without auto park kicking in, but as soon as you release that brake pressure, it will. That’s how I back up with door open, two foot driving.
Ooh this might work with my plan to see if I can install a momentary switch to make it think the brake is being pressed so I can reach over from passenger side and start the vehicle....

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What if you just unplug the door wiring harness so the Jeep thinks the doors are off? You won't get the dome light when you open the door, but it should disable the feature that frustrates you so...

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
I HATE the so-called safety feature that if a door is open, the vehicle puts itself into park and won't come out until you close the door. There are many times I prefer to have a door open when moving a little bit... the most important to me is launching a towed boat... I like to open the door as I'm backing down the launch ramp for better visibility. But also wanted it for quick "re-park" situations... oops, I could have pulled in to that spot a little more, so I'll inch it up a bit more.

It's a stupid lawyer/nanny feature and deserves some way to turn it off forever. I find it much more annoying to me than ESS, and there are plenty of ways to temporarily or permanently get rid of ESS.

JL Tazer can't disable Auto-park, and of course there's no factory option to disable it.

Anyone think of a way to disable this horrible "feature"?

(*yeah, I know... could trade in for a manual transmission... this is one thing that is making me regret getting the automatic.*)
More expensive than the Amazon clip way. But if you have dogs it might work for you with them too.

1D9F3C20-CD87-40FD-A6F7-9DB875D387B0.jpeg

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
Good ideas... didn't realize a little bit of brake pressure will avoid the issue. But I still hate it and hope Tazer can figure out how to get rid of it forever.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The brake pressure will work in both forward and reverse, up to about 15-16 mph at least. I’ve had no new to test further. It works going through gates and backing up with the door open, and that works for me. Anything else I would fasten seatbelt or buy a taser.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
The brake pressure will work in both forward and reverse, up to about 15-16 mph at least. I’ve had no new to test further. It works going through gates and backing up with the door open, and that works for me. Anything else I would fasten seatbelt or buy a taser.
Thanks, good to know that, I will give it a try.
Sponsored