Disable annoying "Auto-park" feature?

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
I HATE the so-called safety feature that if a door is open, the vehicle puts itself into park and won't come out until you close the door. There are many times I prefer to have a door open when moving a little bit... the most important to me is launching a towed boat... I like to open the door as I'm backing down the launch ramp for better visibility. But also wanted it for quick "re-park" situations... oops, I could have pulled in to that spot a little more, so I'll inch it up a bit more.

It's a stupid lawyer/nanny feature and deserves some way to turn it off forever. I find it much more annoying to me than ESS, and there are plenty of ways to temporarily or permanently get rid of ESS.

JL Tazer can't disable Auto-park, and of course there's no factory option to disable it.

Anyone think of a way to disable this horrible "feature"?

(*yeah, I know... could trade in for a manual transmission... this is one thing that is making me regret getting the automatic.*)
Sponsored

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
reading about this silly "feature" here helped me get out of park with our rented jeep at the car wash in Moab.

One solution I saw here was to use a seat belt extender, a piece that looks like the regular 'lock' you plug your seatbelt in with a seat belt 'anchor' at the bottom. You plug that into your setbelt lock and then plug your seatbelt into that. So if you unbuckle your belt from that extender, the car will still think you're locked and apparently auto park won't engage. I can't test it, since I don't have my Jeep yet, but it seems to work. What that person used looked similar to these I just found with a quick Amazon search:

https://www.amazon.com/Seatbelt-Extension-Packs-Extender-Pregnant/dp/B07VQXDQMD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1HTO62L7VNYZX&keywords=seatbelt+extenders+for+cars&qid=1566259575&s=gateway&sprefix=seatbelt+exte,aps,382&sr=8-5

Might be worth a try? I just picked one random listing from my Amazon search, poke around and see what might work for you. Seems a better solution that somehow plugging the seatbelt in behind your back.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I HATE the so-called safety feature that if a door is open, the vehicle puts itself into park and won't come out until you close the door. There are many times I prefer to have a door open when moving a little bit... the most important to me is launching a towed boat... I like to open the door as I'm backing down the launch ramp for better visibility. But also wanted it for quick "re-park" situations... oops, I could have pulled in to that spot a little more, so I'll inch it up a bit more.

It's a stupid lawyer/nanny feature and deserves some way to turn it off forever. I find it much more annoying to me than ESS, and there are plenty of ways to temporarily or permanently get rid of ESS.

JL Tazer can't disable Auto-park, and of course there's no factory option to disable it.

Anyone think of a way to disable this horrible "feature"?

(*yeah, I know... could trade in for a manual transmission... this is one thing that is making me regret getting the automatic.*)
A front hitch for your rig might solve half the issues.

I get your frustration, but we need to point fingers in the right direction: people's attitudes, as in those that sit on juries, as well as what the law allows.

The time is long overdue that if someone injures or kills themselves operating equipment incorrectly, as tragic as that is, that juries don't hand out such large awards for these somewhat self-inflicted wounds.

If they operated that way, lawyers in companies wouldn't advise executives to install the nanny features you speak with as much force as they do, because the financial risk of not having them would be less.

And yet, if you or I hurt or killed ourselves "on our own dime," I wouldn't be surprised if our next of kin litigated, particularly if laywers told them awards (that they'd take 1/3 of if they win and require no money down) were likely.

As you probably know, this feature is strongly based on Anton Yelchin's tragic death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Yelchin#Death

Had you or I (I know---we wouldn't be so stupid, etc., and you'd probably be correct) done this, as non celebrities, things might have turned out different--itself not fair.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Kind of crazy that this is even an issue for a vehicle that is known for the feature of taking the doors off. If the doors are off are they not by basic definition “open”.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Kind of crazy that this is even an issue for a vehicle that is known for the feature of taking the doors off. If the doors are off are they not by basic definition “open”.
It's a great point Chris, but FCA would respond that they thought of that in using body weight metrics on the front driver's seat, or absence thereof, as the trigger mechanism for the safety feature when doors are absent.

I'm a little bit confused as to how their rig's computers define "the absence of doors." My guess is that the door wiring harness is disconnected...but then does a bare bones Sport JL even have this wiring harness?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Sell the vehicle and then cry about your next one.
No matter what you can't Satisfy some people.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I use these, for when I’m in and out and not needing seatbelt, works great.

2F180D35-68A7-4583-88A6-3FA3A30B5EE4.jpeg

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That safety feature was made because of this stupid shifter. Here's what it looks like in park:
jeep-grand-cherokee-shifter.jpg

Now here's what it looks like in drive:
maxresdefault.jpg

It had just enough slop in the release button that you could 'shift into park' and actually end up in neutral. It'd feel exactly like you had it in park, and the car would beep the same way when you opened the door, so it was easy enough to not notice the car wasn't in park.

Of course, you should always use your parking brake. And they never should've made a car with such a stupid shifter.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've been meaning to try jumpering the sensor wires together so that the Jeep always thinks the seatbelt is plugged in. I've been flamed on here for suggesting this before, because if you do that, and get in a wreck, the jeep will think the belt is plugged in and release all airbags and such. However, I don't drive past my driveway without the belt anyway so it wouldn't be an issue.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If you unplug the door wiring harness, it will behave in "doors off" mode , no "AutoPark"
This can easily be plugged back in, rather than actually trying to alter the wiring harness to fool the sensors. Unintended Consequences can be alarming..

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If you unplug the door wiring harness, it will behave in "doors off" mode , no "AutoPark"
This can easily be plugged back in, rather than actually trying to alter the wiring harness to fool the sensors. Unintended Consequences can be alarming..
Doors being removed should not disable auto park.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have a 2018 Sport , 2 Dr, 2.0T. I put it in Reverse, opened door, no seatbelt, backed up no Nanny.
Another reason I'm glad I chose the No Frills version...

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I specifically watched a video a few months back where the guy disabled it with the Tazer, I think it was 11.0.8

Has this been removed?????

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
That safety feature was made because of this stupid shifter. Here's what it looks like in park:
jeep-grand-cherokee-shifter.jpg

Now here's what it looks like in drive:
maxresdefault.jpg

It had just enough slop in the release button that you could 'shift into park' and actually end up in neutral. It'd feel exactly like you had it in park, and the car would beep the same way when you opened the door, so it was easy enough to not notice the car wasn't in park.

Of course, you should always use your parking brake. And they never should've made a car with such a stupid shifter.
Actually it was imposed due to the lawsuit from the Star Trek actor's surviving family that was killed.
Sponsored