Sponsored

Disable annoying "Auto-park" feature?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Actually it was imposed due to the lawsuit from the Star Trek actor's surviving family that was killed.
Sure, but I was pointing out why the lawsuit happened and how the dude got killed by such a stupid ass design that never should've made it into production. Beyond all else (for people who like simple), it was a needlessly complicated mechanical device. It had multiple clicking/locking mechanisms to simulate the feel of pulling a shifter down from park->reverse->neutral->drive. Instead of, ya know, a regular shifter.
Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Sure, but I was pointing out why the lawsuit happened and how the dude got killed by such a stupid ass design that never should've made it into production. Beyond all else (for people who like simple), it was a needlessly complicated mechanical device. It had multiple clicking/locking mechanisms to simulate the feel of pulling a shifter down from park->reverse->neutral->drive. Instead of, ya know, a regular shifter.
Thank Mercedes for that.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I have a 2018 Sport , 2 Dr, 2.0T. I put it in Reverse, opened door, no seatbelt, backed up no Nanny.
Another reason I'm glad I chose the No Frills version...
I'm pretty sure all auto wranglers have this feature, only to not have it is with a manual. Not sure why yours isn't working.

I specifically watched a video a few months back where the guy disabled it with the Tazer, I think it was 11.0.8

Has this been removed?????
My Flashcal Disables this stupid feature and it works like a charm. https://amzn.to/31NeKXg

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 8.15.51 AM.png

I've been following this long before I got mine a few months ago. From what I recall, the TazerJL used to be able to disable autopark, but Jeep changed the software at some point which no longer allowed it to be accessed and the Tazer can no longer disable it. If you have had your software updated, or have a build after that update, then it can't be disabled. I would imagine the same is true of the Flascal, and might still work if your jeep is an early '18 that has never been updated by FCA.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Not sure why I stumbled onto this thread - oh yea, since I hope to have my new Rubi soon, I find myself reading posts I might not otherwise, in hopes of learning something new.
Anyway - couldn't let this slide...
I have owned two of the newer Grand Cherokees with that shifter, and yes, sometimes I'd miss a shift when going from Forward to Reverse, but I never once left it in anything but Park to get out and do anything. That is really what caused the hoopla over this.
But - it was already an FCA Recall issue before Anton (actor) ever was killed - the Recall (and/or reprogram) didn't occur because of what happened to him.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm pretty sure all auto wranglers have this feature, only to not have it is with a manual. Not sure why yours isn't working.

I've been following this long before I got mine a few months ago. From what I recall, the TazerJL used to be able to disable autopark, but Jeep changed the software at some point which no longer allowed it to be accessed and the Tazer can no longer disable it. If you have had your software updated, or have a build after that update, then it can't be disabled. I would imagine the same is true of the Flascal, and might still work if your jeep is an early '18 that has never been updated by FCA.
This was my thought. FCA views AP like seat belts - it's not optional. Getting a "no frills" version shouldn't matter.

I think optional safety stuff like BSM is confusing the issue.

Anyway, I too HATE AP and was just ASSuming my Tazer would help me out. I may just have to run a basic seat belt extender at all times

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I REALLY hope the Tazer guys find a way to disable this again. There have been sooo many situations where I've needed to reverse while leaning out the door, but I can't. The auto-park feature should've been limited to the Grand Cherokees with that ridiculous shifter.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
My Sport is an October 2018 build, the 2018 production run was extended into what would normally be a 2019 designation.
I looked at another thread concerning Auto Park, and the posters said light brake pedal pressure while backing up disabled Auto Park.. That makes sense, try it...

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
ATM I'm in heaven w my Tazer "pushing the button" for me w ESS (I realize there are other products for just that feature) and disabling TPMS, but I too hope they can kill AP. The nanny state makes my blood pressure climb more than it should.

Sponsored

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
I was told Tazer JL is working on this and and to keep an eye on the Firmware update page. Love my Tazer JL Mini.
I really hope this is true. I understand that seat belt extenders and false clips can fool the system, it's another hassle to find it, install it and continue with the task (launching a boat, offroad slow obstacle navigation...) so it's not really a great solution for me anyway. Very frustrating that we're stuck with this nanny "feature" for now.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried unplugging the door?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So my only experience with something similar....on my '07 F150 the air bag light is inop (not uncommon for Ford dashes '04-08) and you MUST have that to disable the seat belt chime.

I tried jumpering the wires but apparently the pretensioners don't make this easy. It's looking for some sort of resistance and will ding at ya FREQUENTLY and OFTEN everytime you drive. Bad luck here because apparently '07 was the first year of the front belt pretensioners in the F150 - those with an '06 report success

Anyway point is there's a good chance just jumpering 2 wires in the JL won't work.

I've run with a seat belt extender for a couple years now (edit: in my F150), and have come to really enjoy not having to dig way down at my right hip to unclip.

I'm about 5'10"/160 so not a typical candidate for an extender

Is it less safe? Will I submarine under the belt in a collision? Eh, maybe. If I suddenly stop posting just assume my unnecessary seat belt extender killed me (shrug)

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
Have you tried unplugging the door?
Yes, thought of that, and it will work. But it's kind of a hassle to pull the trim piece off and disconnect the somewhat finicky connector. seatbelt is much less time, but both are just a hassle.
Sponsored